A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
296 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with beer bottles?  (Read 1946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missmandimarie
« on: January 09, 2012 05:19:13 PM »

My bf and his buddy had a fun night which left brown (glass) beer bottles on my counter....I would like to do something crafty with them but i'm not entirely sure what. Any ideas? I have seen some lamps but I'd rather not make a lamp....maybe a creative vase?? I have a tall 40 bottle and 6 standard bottles
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012 11:12:49 PM »

You can get a home etching kit - either a chemical etchant or a home sand blasting kit, and put etched designs on them.  You can get glass painting kits too and paint on them, though there is less impact on brown glass than on clear. 

You could also clean them out, get corks to fit the top, and use them for holding homemade sauces, marinades, etc to give away as gifts too.

Something I have thought of doing is to cut the glass into rings, sand down the edges to smooth, and make them into sun catchers, or use them to frame resin pours and make coasters with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Dinozaur
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012 10:43:46 AM »

Take up homebrewing and refill them with beer!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crabcake
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012 06:49:36 PM »

Occasionally, in finer gift stores, I'll see flattened wine bottles.  They come out looking a bit like those artisan bread paddles, and I think they're often used to serve snacks or are purely decorative.  I know nothing about how the glass used for wine differs from beer glass (if there is any distinction), but that could be one thing to try.

There's also always the hope that beer-bottle flower vases/ candle holders could become hip and ironic... Smiley

If you can save the labels, they could become useful elements in other crafts such as ATCs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012 06:50:33 PM by Crabcake » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Khiggins13
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012 07:18:42 AM »

Actually here's something easy and somewhat fast. This makes glass cups out of beer bottles!!! DONT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT GOOD WITH FIRE!I got this from my best friends brother! Take the labels of of the bottle but don't clean it. Before starting fill your sink with ice water. Take a piece of yarn (long enough to wrap around the bottle once and be able to knot it) now soak this piece of yarn in acetone nail polish remover for like 30 sec. Tie the piece of yarn around the bottle right under the neck (wash your hands) and when close to the ice bath... light the yarn on fire for roughly a minute and just drop it into the ice bath. When the bottle hits the ice it will make an even brake in the bottle. Pull the two pieces out and throw away the neck of the bottle. Now this is the not so fast part... Now that you've made this bottle into a cup you need to sand the edges and clean it (the dishwasher will do)  Smiley now you have a cool new glass cup! After this you can etch them if you want to make them look fancy or use them as kids cups for special occasions. I used this on the bud light platinum bottles because they are a really pretty blue but you can do green or brown too. If you want a bigger cup you can get a 40oz and do it on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
drogjami

Life is Perfect With a Cup of Coco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012 10:08:45 AM »

You could attach different brands of beer bottles together and use them as flower vases!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Corner Desk... A Must For Home Offices.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Biscuits and Frankfurters
How to Make a Low Country Boil
How To Carve A Turkey
Tossed Spinach Recipe
Butter Tart Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...