A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: January Granny-A-Day! 01/01/12-01/31/12  (Read 3607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2012 10:10:14 AM »

Hi again everyone! It's a new month, and time for a new round of Granny Squares.

This is a motivation crochetalong. The idea is to keep yourself working on your projects by posting progress photos as you go, and posting updates on how much you've accomplished throughout the month. Ideally, one post per week to let everyone know how it's going and at least one progress picture for the month should be the goal.

Yes, the title says "Granny a Day". Are we going to hate you if you can't keep up with that? OF COURSE NOT!!! We all have a lot going on, so if you can't do 31 squares this month, it's OK. The point of this whole thing is to make us all sit down for a few minutes and lose ourselves in granny goodness. I've been working on some of my granny projects for months already, and I'll probably be busy with them for several months more, but it's fun and relaxing to sit down and spend ten minutes on my granny projects every day. You'll be amazed at how often it turns into an hour or more, without you even realizing the time has passed!

If you're new to crochet, there are some great tutorials out there. A couple of really good ones can be found at:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/granny_square.htm and
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/grannies.html

Happy Crafting!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012 09:24:45 AM by KismetFyrechyld » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
MrsRooster
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012 01:48:55 PM »

I'm with you this month!   Smiley

Working on a baby blanket.  My Rooster has a guy at work that whose girlfriend is going to have a baby.  So I decided on a Granny Square baby blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaRianator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012 07:39:41 PM »

Yay! Cheesy Another month! I'm going to try and start my 8bit Capt. Price blanket for my 1 year anniversary for my boyfriend! I think while doing that (got 6 months today to finish it) I'll attempt to make another blanket, but with scrap material (which I have A LOT of)! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 10:34:46 PM »

I'm up to 20 finished squares, approximately 9 inches across. Smiley Going to make another 5 squares, then start adding a round of white to each one and putting them together. Then I just have to figure out a border and weave in about a zillion ends. Fingers crossed, I want to finish this monster! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012 06:17:47 PM »

I had 24 and a half done... then I decided I didn't like one of them and I'm replacing it with a different color. So I'm back to 23 and a half out of 25. Hopefully I'll finish the other two tonight so I can start adding in the white. This picture shows the 23 finished ones in the tentative layout. I may move them around a bit, but I'm pretty happy with it. Smiley The four corner squares are striped, all the rest are solid or variegated, but without changing yarn anywhere in the square. It's a simple throw, but it's been a major stash buster-I've only bought two new skeins of yarn for it so far, and both were colors I've been wanting to try out for a while. I may have to buy more white for joining it, though. It's all "I Love This Yarn" worsted weight acrylic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012 11:24:43 PM »

Does anyone actually have any interest in continuing these? I only did this one because I got an email requesting it, but the lack of posts on the last several granny-a-day threads leads me to believe we may be experiencing overall granny burnout. If y'all are still interested, I'll continue setting them up, but otherwise, I see no reason to waste the space on the boards. We could always come back to it in a couple of months if there's more interest then. Please post on here to let me know if you're still interested. Until I hear from someone, I'm going to plan on skipping February. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012 11:41:56 AM »

howdy, KismeyF....=]
Did you get your blanket finished...do you have a new pic? 

I've not done any grannies lately.  I'm working on little granny's daughters here and there.  I hope to make another scrappy blanket w/them this year.  I'f you're still working on your afghan, then I can work on one that needs finishing, too.  At least would like to see your 'finished' pic!

v.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012 11:34:30 AM »

I've got all my squares finished, but haven't gotten them put together yet. This silly "work" thing keeps getting in the way of my crochet time-how rude! Wink I'm working on putting them together, slowly but surely. Trying a new method for attaching them, so we'll see how that goes. At the moment, it's the border round of white for all 25 squares that's eating up my time. Then, if I understand this tutorial right, I'll stitch each row together using groups of dc and chains. It looks interesting, anyway! I haven't gotten to the actual joining, but I'll link the tutorial in case anyone's interested. Happy Valentine's Day! Smiley

http://carinascraftblog.wardi.dk/2009/06/granny-square-joining-tutorial.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012 12:37:15 PM »

I liked the site(great example)!  I can't remember trying that type of connecting method before.  I've tried a hexigon joining that is similar, but not with good results.  I'm picking up my hook and getting to making ups some grannies.  I can make some in baby yarn...new grandbaby coming later this year!  
 Cheesy

Enjoy doing a little bit each day and before you know it the squares will be ready to join!! =]  **Darn Work!!**

=]

two a day...they're small:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012 05:19:34 PM by Kittymom13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012 09:59:33 AM »

Up to 15 squares...I did three today.  I'm glad to be crocheting grannies again.  =]

I've also joined the Granny's Daughters swap and am working on many of those during the day. 

How's everything going w/other's projects???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pinata
How to Make Bunny Ears
How to Choose the Right Needles for a Knitting Project
How to Turn a Large Sock Into a Tiny Dog Sweater
How to Make a Daisy Chain
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...