A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muppet Style Puppet - FINISHED! Huzzah. (Image Heavy)  (Read 7616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bedalton
« on: January 09, 2012 10:06:33 AM »

This forum says completed projects, but I did not see a work in progress forum, perhaps a mod can move this there.

The Goods:
People I find like images first. So here we go.

And my second real puppet, Sandwich. A work in progress
Here he is all glued

Fitting the fleece

Fleece sewing in progress

The (long) Story:

About two years ago, I created a muppet style puppet. While trying to convince my non-crafty friend that he needed a hobby, he said that he would be interested in building a foam puppet. I've always thought that would would be neat too, so it was settled, we would each build a puppet. We found foam at a local craft store called Handcocks and purchased quite a bit of it. It was $10 a yard at the time, but we thought, or rather hoped, that it would be money well spent.

Foam in hand, we set off to find a pattern online a free pattern online. We failed and were just a bit discouraged. After much sadness, I remembered a technique I saw in a video tutorial. In high school I was interested in building a mascot head, and I watched this  girl build one without a pattern. (Here is the first part of her tutorial.). I never built the mascot head, but I stored the information just the same.

In the video, the girl uses hot glue, I did not however like this method as the bond wasn't strong, and it required moving faster than I was able. I read on a forum about using contact cement. Contact cement is a slow process, but it worked much better for me.  Before closing the seam, you must wait for the glue to dry, but when you press the edges together the seam is instant, no pinching and holding.

I do not think in three-dimensional seams and struggled greatly with building the head. It involved much trial and error, during which foam was removed, added, glued and repeated as necessary. It took many hours over many days, but it was worth it. Meatball was a success.

Unfortunately however, having free formed the puppet, the head was not exactly symmetrical and I had no pattern in which to replicate another puppet.

I've taken an animation class in which we learned 3d modeling, and I knew I could model the shape in my 3d program. The huge problem here was that I did not know how to make a flat pattern from it. I used various texturing tools, but they were not built for this purpose and produced terrible and unusable, results. I searched high and low, and found 2 programs that I thought would work.  One was Lectra's DesignConcept, and the second was Pepakura. DesignConcept is industry software, and I knew I could never justify it's hefty price tag. Pepakura however was a bit more affordable, though a bit more than I was hoping to pay.

Pepakura is for paper modeling, and as such cannot do smooth seams. I simplified my 3d geometry, and unfolded. The crude geometry led to heads with angular points. Though not perfect, the shapes produced were very much like I wanted.

I created several heads after Meatball, but none of which inspired me to put in the work to fleece and finish. There was one monster I did love, but I tried making the fleece pattern with as few seam lines as possible, and it became tedious and frustrating. I know now that what I was trying to do was impossible. If people could do it this way, they would. With school starting, and frustration plenty, I abandoned my puppet making.

A few days ago I finally saw the Muppet movie. I was hooked. Being a muppet of a man, I knew that I needed to make Meatball some friends.

I decided I wanted a more human character, and began to sketch up some ideas. After I settled on one, I modeled it in 3d and flattened it with Pepakura.

Having been away from puppet making for so long, I decided I wanted to refine my technique. I was determined not to have any pointy points on my puppet. To accomplish such a result, I imported the pattern into illustrator, and created curves. I have worked with  lines and curves since my initial build, and knew how to smooth the lines properly. I measured the lines in illustrator and created curves preserving line lengths and trying to maintain the general shape of the lines. I am pleased with the result.

I plan to update this thread as I go, and hope you will stay tuned.

The Future!

Having not had a pattern for my first puppet, I decided I would create a tutorial. Though I am a novice, self taught, and I am sure I don't do things properly, I thought I would contribute what I could. I wish I that I could have found an easy starting place, and would like to contribute one. I'm planning to make my pattern, and hope people will find it useful. I think I'll update the tutorial stage by stage as I go. Hopefully it turns out well.

I plan to finish stitching the skin on my current one, then start.  Hopefully I'll have the head tutorial up tomorrow. No promises though.

Update 01-11-12
I've finished the head. Might I just say that fake fur is the devil. I got hot glue in his hair. Dead-center front no less.  I am however pleased.

I wanted him to have dimples, but I put the mouth plate in crooked so this side has dimples way larger than I wanted, and the other side's are a bit smaller than desired.

Update: Finished - 04/20/2012

So I finished my puppet Sandwich today.

I decided to try something different than my last puppet, and I made the arm rods detachable. It was surprisingly easy, I just followed the instructions on this site.

Meatball (My first puppet) and Sandwich.

Everybody Panic!

And one for the shorties.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012 12:04:37 PM by TroubleT - Reason: added to featured projects :D » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012 12:51:38 PM »

wow! you do like to jump in at the deep end don't you? Thank you for sharing your process with us, all tip are very gratefully received in my case
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
cold.dinner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012 12:53:29 PM »

Awww, that's really cute! Great job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoaneFaery
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012 12:54:10 PM »

I would love to see your tutorial here!  I have always wanted to make a real puppet. Can't wait to see Sandwich completed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
http://www.wists.com/RoaneFaery
Pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/roanefaery/
My Swaps:
Last completed swap: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
bedalton
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012 08:51:13 PM »

I'm still working on the tutorial, but familial obligations trump puppets.
Oh how I wish it was the other way around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cold.dinner
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012 02:39:16 PM »

Wow. I just hit "this rocks"! Please do update again. I would love to see the finished product, he's such a darling! I adore his hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedalton
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012 07:17:04 PM »

After a rather long hiatus, he is finished. Finished but naked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012 02:09:03 PM »

so cute.  he looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012 05:03:21 PM »

This is fantastic!! You are doing a grand job on your puppets!!   Shocked  Can't wait to see more!! He's very cute!! What kind of clothes are you looking to put on him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/partners
"Poppet vs. Ami Swap"/partners
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/partner

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Pa
etwarner
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012 09:18:27 PM »

Oh my gosh he's wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
StyleLikeU Finds from All Around the Globe
L*Space By Monica Wise 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, Miami Beach
Red Carter 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Mara Hoffman 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Aqua Di Lara 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...