A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,878
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can my machine handle quilting?  (Read 910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012 07:32:49 AM »

my Mam and I have been wanting to try Quilting for a while and have decided that this year we WILL do it, by hand if necessary.  The box my sewing machine came in says it can be used for quilting but browsing the web some places say it won't be able to handle it or that it will only be able to handle it with a walking foot. So I figured I'd ask here because Craftster has the answers!
It's a Janome Sew Mini ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Janome-Mini-Lightweight-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001NMQ3QY ) and I've had a good look around but I don't think there's a walking foot compatible with it, or at least not from Janome.
So, the question is, can my little machine quilt? Or should we invest in something a bit bigger? Or should we just suck it up and hand quilt?
Thank you in advance  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012 07:43:27 AM »

Just from looking at the picture and seeing the dimensions of it, I'd say it couldn't handle anything very big.  My suggestion would be to make a small test piece and try it out.  Get some scrap cotton fabric and some batting, sandwich the batting between 2 pieces of cotton and try sewing that.  If it works okay then it can handle quilting but, again, I'd say only small projects, like placements.  If you are thinking of making anything larger, I'd get a larger machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012 06:29:23 AM »

I love hand quilting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunThreads
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012 04:56:47 AM »

I think the problem you will run into is the depth of the arm. Even for piecing the quilt together. You won't be able to stuff much fabric in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mabuhay
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012 07:02:46 AM »

You can probably make baby quilts, which is a good place to start anyways if you're new! I say hold off on getting anything bigger until you know this is something you will be doing consistently. That way, you will save some money if it turns out that you two would like to try something else.

Hand quilting is a wonderful way to really get intimate with the art of quilting. I think everyone should make at least one by hand.

Best of luck to you both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JeanC
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012 03:06:19 PM »

I have several friends with Janome machines, but not that model.  I believe Elna brand feet will fit Janome machines.  Check your area to see if there is an Elna dealer near you.

I agree that you don't want to do anything very large on your machine.  I once quilted a twin size on my older machine. While I could do it, it put a lot of stress (and pain) on my back and shoulders.  I vowed never to do so again - my larger projects get sent out to a longarm quilter! ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Adventure in Peach Cove
What to Expect From a Bristle Brush
How to Clean and Wash Paint Brushes
How to Take an Oil Painting Workshop
How to Use Color in Oil Painting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...