A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 12 Quilt Projects in 2012 Along [CLOSED]  (Read 90987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cursive_queen
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2012 10:29:45 AM »

That is a BIG quilt.  I love the story behind it.  It looks very cozy.  I like your picture of sewing it using the length of the table to support it - I should try that, I sew at the kitchen table.  Though if I put it out lengthwise, it's just more quilt for my cats to try and lay on
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggirl02

I love frogs and crafting in no particular order.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2012 11:04:17 PM »

What an inspirational story, froggirl02!!  Congrats on getting a quilt full of memories!

I can't believe you quilted such a huge quilt on your sewing machine!  What strength you have in those arms! Cheesy

Really, when you look at quilting's history, people used whatever cloth they could!  I love that you used so much of your own fabric from your beloved shirts!

Thanks, Always! Cheesy I'm glad you like the story and the quilt. I think stubbornness + strong tea + persistence is definitely an equation that can add up to just about anything extraordinary. I still have some leftover pieces from those shirts, surprisingly. I thought for sure this pattern would use them all up but they seem to breed almost. I think I'm going to make some matching pillowcases (I have some pink flannel yet too) and maybe a lap quilt to thank my mom for all her help. I could've done it without her but I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to.  Smiley

That is a BIG quilt.  I love the story behind it.  It looks very cozy.  I like your picture of sewing it using the length of the table to support it - I should try that, I sew at the kitchen table.  Though if I put it out lengthwise, it's just more quilt for my cats to try and lay on

Thanks, cursive_queen! The other thing I did to quilt this beautiful beast was use my mother-in-law's big ironing board to support the quilt as well. I had it leveled to the level of the table, drawn up as close to the machine as I could, supporting the weight of the quilt as I fed it through the machine to the table. I started using this after I quilted the first middle seams and could move out to quilting from the edges again (I hope that makes sense). I also pinned it a lot. The ironing board and the table combined to take some of the stress off my limbs with manipulating the quilt since I didn't have to keep wrestling it away from the ground as much. I can't claim this as an original idea. I read it in an article on easy-machine-quilting in American Patchwork and Quilting.

Thanks again for your kind words, you two. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012 11:05:42 PM by froggirl02 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to leave the world littered with beauty." ~Steve Martin, Picasso at the Lapin Agile

My blog! http://technicolorlilypond.wordpress.com/
My Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/technicolorlilypond
My CafePress Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/greenfrogfromthepond
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #382 on: March 22, 2012 06:22:45 AM »

Quilt Wrangling should be an Olympic sport!  Gold Medal for you, my dear! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #383 on: March 22, 2012 06:28:14 AM »

I have one row left to quilt on my current quilt - so of course, I ran out of yellow thread :/  I do have some verigated yellow that will work for the last row.  I bought some really pretty blue varigated thread for the back as it's just plain flannel so add some visual interest.... yea you can't see it, I should have bought plain blue thread Tongue

Tonight I hope to make the binding and machine attach it to the back so I can spend a car trip tomorrow hand sewing it to the front
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2012 07:17:18 AM »

That is a BIG quilt.  I love the story behind it.  It looks very cozy.  I like your picture of sewing it using the length of the table to support it - I should try that, I sew at the kitchen table.  Though if I put it out lengthwise, it's just more quilt for my cats to try and lay on

Thanks, cursive_queen! The other thing I did to quilt this beautiful beast was use my mother-in-law's big ironing board to support the quilt as well. I had it leveled to the level of the table, drawn up as close to the machine as I could, supporting the weight of the quilt as I fed it through the machine to the table. I started using this after I quilted the first middle seams and could move out to quilting from the edges again (I hope that makes sense). I also pinned it a lot. The ironing board and the table combined to take some of the stress off my limbs with manipulating the quilt since I didn't have to keep wrestling it away from the ground as much. I can't claim this as an original idea. I read it in an article on easy-machine-quilting in American Patchwork and Quilting.

Thanks again for your kind words, you two. Smiley

I am currently taking a course online on how to quilt a large quilt on a regular sewing machine and this is one of the techniques she teaches.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2012 07:19:49 AM »

I have a queen size quilt all pinned and ready to quilt in my linen closet...it has been there for seven years...I did one and thought it was going to kill me...I am going to use these tips and see if I can get it quilted this year!  It is not nice enough that I would pay a long armer to do it for me, but it is functional if I do it...sounds like a great class, RLB!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2012 11:51:05 AM »

Always - even on large quilts, it seems, at least to me, a little more manageble to to straight stitching.  I'm doing one that is 70X70 at the moment and just did vertical lines every 2.5in (at each block) and I would say total it took me 3-4 hrs.  I just rolled it and smooshed it through Tongue

The thought of free-motioning that size though... is another story. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggirl02

I love frogs and crafting in no particular order.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2012 01:23:26 PM »

Quilt Wrangling should be an Olympic sport!  Gold Medal for you, my dear! Cheesy

I agree! It should be an Olympic sport. It would be the first competitive sport I think I would actually be enthusiastic about competing in.  Tongue

I am currently taking a course online on how to quilt a large quilt on a regular sewing machine and this is one of the techniques she teaches.

Sounds like a good class. The technique certainly works well.

Always - even on large quilts, it seems, at least to me, a little more manageble to to straight stitching.  I'm doing one that is 70X70 at the moment and just did vertical lines every 2.5in (at each block) and I would say total it took me 3-4 hrs.  I just rolled it and smooshed it through Tongue

The thought of free-motioning that size though... is another story.  

Having done both I think that the keys are table support and the fearlessness (a.k.a. foolishness) to just smoosh that quilt through and go for broke. You can do it, Always! Finish that U.F.O. Cheesy

Cursivequeen, I am very impressed that you can sew in a moving car. That is cool. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to leave the world littered with beauty." ~Steve Martin, Picasso at the Lapin Agile

My blog! http://technicolorlilypond.wordpress.com/
My Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/technicolorlilypond
My CafePress Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/greenfrogfromthepond
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2012 04:36:53 PM »

I'm in the process of working on a car seat blanket from a Moda Bake Shop tutorial. I've had a bit of difficulty understanding the pattern, and have had to unpick things a couple of times. I think I've got it now though. I'm totally blaming my lack of understanding on pregnancy brain (I've been having lots of brain dead moments lately). It should be finished in the next couple of days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2012 05:20:40 PM »

mel--did you do the lattice one?  I did!  I am definitely going to do it again!

Now I want to do the arrow one...it was just posted recently!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Steve
How to Draw Squidward
How to Draw Stan Smith (American Dad)
How to Merge Blend Modes in Photoshop
Sharpening Photos For Both Web and Print
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...