A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 12 Quilt Projects in 2012 Along [CLOSED]  (Read 100601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sera unravled
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2012 07:10:21 PM »

I love that tumbler quilt. I think I need to add one of them to mylist. Maybe I will use that pattern for a baby quilt. I just found out that my sister is pregnant. Yippee, another chance for a quilt. Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2012 07:53:37 PM »

I love all your quilts Always. I'm especially interested in the last one. Three years back I kind of went crazy and bought a lot of charm packs. However, (with the exception of one line) I only bought one pack of each. I'm trying to figure out different ways to use them (although they all came in weird numbers, one only has 27 in the set).

Anyway, I finished my first quilt! It is a wholecloth lap quilt that I began back in February of 2009. It was supposed to be a Valentine gift for my husband, but when I didn't finish in time I put it away and didn't take it out again (except maybe once) until now. Since my husband is out of town for the week taking the Washington State Bar Exam, I thought I'd finish it and give it to him as a "Yay you've taken the test" sort of gift.

And a close up of the material used on the front.

I'm not super thrilled with the quilting job. When I started I knew pretty much nothing about quilting, and I didn't have a free motion or walking foot. So I decided to do squares all over. That was taking forever, so things got interesting at times when I just couldn't handle it anymore. I also used a gold metallic thread for the top thread (big mistake, I don't think I'll use metallic again) and black for the bottom. It didn't turn out too spectacular in some spots. But it's finally done, so I'm happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
kwiltykate
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2012 09:35:25 PM »

I really like your dragon fabric meleriffic, and the squares!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2012 05:54:20 AM »

meleriffic--love that fabric!  I have some large prints like that...don't want to cut them into pieces...a whole panel quilt would work great!

You are brave to use metallic thread...I have never had luck sewing with it even thought I love the look!

My favorite pattern to use for a charm pack is the disappearing 9 patch...I use a solid patch in the center and surround it with the charm pack fabrics...so you need 8 charms for each solid...if the patterns are really nice, I like to make the charm the center and sash it with a solid or do a coin pattern with sashing between...I think there must be hundreds of patterns using charm packs out there...maybe we should do some sort of charm pack challenge on the quilting boards!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2012 09:04:52 AM »

Eek, those are awesome Alwaysinmyroom! You are rockin'!

I love that dragon fabric, I have a bit of it somewhere!

I have a quilt pinned that is a bit like the idea of a disappearing 9 patch, but instead of cutting a 9 patch into quarters, you cut a log cabin into quarters and then reassemble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
cursive_queen
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2012 10:14:03 AM »

Always - those are great quilts.  I really want to try a tumbler quilt.

That whole cloth one is nice - I really like the fabrics
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2012 10:18:43 AM »

I had to go look, Mare...that would be a fun one to do...I like those kind because you get a fun surprise when you cut them up!  I saw an awesome zig zag on your pinterest as well...the tops are stacking up but I better get to quilting before I start anything else! Cheesy

Oh--I cut out all the pieces to give the hexagons a try...I think it will be just a small table runner...I used up some of my fruit fabric so it will be perfect for the kitchen table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2012 10:21:42 AM »

thanks, cursive_queen...I would recommend it as I thought it was one of the easiest quilts ever!  It is made in rows, flipping one piece one way and the other piece upside down...so you make straight rows!!  Sew the rows together...done!

I decided at the last minute to add a tumbler border and had to undo part of each row--ugh!!!  You can also just cut the side rows flat, but the quilt was not quite wide enough for me...I am going to use a red binding so I wanted the high contrast...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2012 05:49:10 PM »

Yep, metallic thread is rather annoying to use. You can really tell on the back.

I sat down today and finished another wholecloth quilt from start to finish today. It's probably my best job quilting yet. I had very minimal bunching or puckering. Hardly any at all so I was rather proud. Granted, it was just straight lines following the printed squares and I used a walking foot. For the binding I just folded over some of the backing. It wasn't perfect, but it looks good enough. I debated on hand stitching the binding, but considering the amount of washing this blanket will get (possibly weekly as it's for my 1.5 year old) I decided to just go the quick way and machine sew it.

Oh, the colors in the pictures didn't turn out quite right. It's much less yellowish in person.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Linnybelle
« Reply #279 on: February 29, 2012 04:56:31 AM »

That's really cute!  The colors and patterns are so nice for a baby.

I also love the tumbler quilt, but I haven't tried one yet. 

My go to wedding quilt is one of the disappearing 9 patch patterns, although all three of the quilts I'm in the process of making for weddings are different patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Steaks and Baked Potatoes
Strawberry Shortcake Recipes
How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
How to Make Healthy Homemade Pancakes
How to Make Corn Saute
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...