A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Bunting Quilt (And why I am looking up alternatives to Bias tape)  (Read 1304 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VintageMissRRT
Capturing Cottage Country

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2012 05:30:09 PM »

I was invited a week ago to a baby shower held today (way to go short notice!). I was on the fence about whether I should go or not, because I am firends with two of the girls sisters, not the mom-to-be herself (who is a very bitter and mean person), and it seems like anyone who had ever said hi to the sisters got invited. I decided I should start making something either way because if I did go, I would have a present and if I didn't go, I could send the gift to a friend of mine whwo just had her second child. 

Well, long story short, I decided not to go. I also decided not to send the quilt to my friend. Why? Well two reasons really. One, I loved it too much to part with it. Two, I screwed up something bad on the binding. IDK what it is about me and bias tape being used as binding on a quilt, but I always screw it up (although you can't see it much in this picture)

Any who's, here it is:

I gotta give credit to my inspiration, even though I didn't use their patterns:
http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/2012/01/bird-and-bunting-quilt-with-pattern.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One tube of chapstick will last you the rest of your life if you magically manage not to lose it.
Otherwise it's a one week supply AT BEST.
iliveonarainbow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012 06:33:27 PM »

That's really cute! I love all the different fabrics you used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplySandy
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012 02:05:55 PM »

You're quilt is really cute and I can see why you wanted to keep it for yourself.  When binding your next quilt try using 2 1/2 inch fabric strips.  Fold in half lengthwise and iron.  Attach the binding raw edges to raw edges to the front of the quilt.  Then turn the binding over to the back and slip stitch it down by hand.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VintageMissRRT
Capturing Cottage Country

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012 12:50:20 PM »

You're quilt is really cute and I can see why you wanted to keep it for yourself.  When binding your next quilt try using 2 1/2 inch fabric strips.  Fold in half lengthwise and iron.  Attach the binding raw edges to raw edges to the front of the quilt.  Then turn the binding over to the back and slip stitch it down by hand.  Hope this helps.

I think I might try this, thanks! I'm still relatively new to quilting so I am learning as I go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One tube of chapstick will last you the rest of your life if you magically manage not to lose it.
Otherwise it's a one week supply AT BEST.
crazymimisews
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 12:03:41 PM »

Your quilt turned out really cute! I love the birdie on the bunting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012 02:21:19 PM »

How cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Greta_j
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012 04:54:24 PM »

This looks great!
Following on from SimplySandy very useful comments ->
To help with the hand stitching on the back I also iron a 1/4" fold into the side of the fabric you hand stitch.
This takes a little more time witht the iron but seems to make the hand stitching less fiddly.
To do this
1. Draw a 1/4" line onto a piece of thin cardboard (like an office folder or cereal box front)
2. Lay the material back side up on the ironing board.
3. Place the cardboard on the top of the material, 1/4" down from the edge your going to hand stitch.
4. Iron the material towards you, over the cardboard lining it up with the drawn 1/4" line
!Turn the steam off otherwise you'll get hot fingertips!

When you doing the hand stitching you can easily turn this 1.4" fold under, pin it in place if required and hand stitch it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a 4-Strand Side Braid
Summer Hairstyle Tips for Short and Mid-Length Hair
Low Side-Part Hairstyles at the Badgley Mischka FW 2014 Show
Summer Hairstyles
How to Apply Volumizing Hair Powder
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...