A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,207
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool coat recon plans  (Read 314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iheartcooking
« on: January 08, 2012 02:58:47 PM »

I'm going to refit my old wool coat to be a bit more flattering. It's a super straight, plain, knee-length wool/cashmere blend with beautiful royal blue satin lining, and I love the quality, But it's getting a little shapeless and needs some modification.

The plan is to remove the lining at the bottom, trim several inches off the bottom, use that to make a belt, add some darts, belt loops, maybe new buttons.

I'd like to know if anyone wants to throw out any advice to me before I get started.  Wondering about things like-- does wool need to be cut in a particular way? (like, do I need to use those zigzag scissors), do I need to use a particular type of stitch in the sewing machine or just the standard? Do I need special thread?
I've added darts to something before... On a coat can I add darts just at the waist or do I need to run them all the way up to the sholders?

And, finally, any suggestions for adding cuteness to a very plain long black coat? I just figure making it a little more fitted and a little shorter, but I'm open to crazy ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012 12:54:15 AM »

Sounds lovely. (I'm going to talk in metric as I don't know inches sorry).

1. No you don't need special scissors or thread, just use a good quality thread. You may need a bigger (thicker) needle than your usual one though, but I would try to sew a bit and see how your machine goes.

2. You can add darts at the waist, just pin them in first to see how they look before sewing, or sew with a long wide basting stitch and then try on the coat to see how it looks. I would probably sew the darts about 10-15cm long (depends on how tall you are and how long the coat is). I would stop below the bust. Try not to put too much shaping in, just take in a few cms each side (4 -5 cm maximum in each dart).

3. Adding cuteness? Well i guess you could make a little flower corsage with a button and attach it (sorry, I work in children's wear we add corsages and frills to everything!)

4. Make sure you're going to have enough fabric for the belt! They are deceptive in how long they need to be and how much fabric you need. Remember they fold over in half and usually are over 1 1/2 metres long and then you have seam allowance. If you are only taking off a couple of inches you probably won't have a very wide belt (or it'll end up being too short) and then you won't have enough fabric for belt loops.

Anyway, good luck I don't think I've ever cut up one of my jackets before. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Performa 13: Shingerviews – Ryan McNamara
Hottest New Toys For The Summer
Give Your Settlers of Catan Game Board a Magnetic Upgrade
Vote For New Monopoly Pieces
Shaheen Wirk on What Performing Artists Teach About Preparation
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...