A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Pie Crust Help and Tips  (Read 586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lauriemk
« on: June 20, 2005 06:37:06 PM »

Hey everyone,

The bf and I just made our first ever pie from scratch (blueberry!).  It is in the oven as I type.  I had a really difficult time rolling out the crust.  It kept sticking to the counter like mad, and cracking.  I couldn't move it to the pie plate without it trying to break apart everywhere.  I re-rolled a couple of times, but finally just put it in the plate and kind of patched it together.  Are these common pie crust problems?  Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005 06:42:52 PM »

Next time try putting your crust in the refrigerator for a bit before you roll it out and/or using ice water in your recipe. Patching it up in the pan is ok!

And my favorite pie crust tip is covering your exposed crust with foil so it gets just a little golden, and not too dry and dark.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005 07:04:23 PM »

My favorite tip (gleaned from my brother, who is an awesome cook):  After chilling the dough, roll it out between two sheets of plastic wrap!  Keeps the rolling pin and counter clean, helps the crust hold together, and makes placing it in the pan a breeze --

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
lauriemk
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005 04:05:43 PM »

The crust came out tasting amazing!  It was flaky and soooo much better than a store bought crust, even if it was not the most attractive thing.  thanks for the refrigerator and plastic wrap tips.  I will try those in the future.  I did just start rolling as soon as the dough was mixed, and I have since heard that letting the dough rest will also help. 

I did cover the crust with foil, and it was perfectly baked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
philodendron5
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005 11:24:02 AM »

my favorite recipe for pie crust is buttermilk pie crust. it is AMAZING! Also, I always make a mixture of egg, milk, and nutmeg/cinnamon and paint in on the top of the crust. It makes it nice and golden and of course hits it up with some flavor. I think the key to easy pie crust maneuvering is temperature.

My grandmother told me that every person who can cook worth beans should invest in a marble rolling pin. The marble will hold the cold from your fridge for a long time.  Of course, the only reason I have one is because she gave it to me... then again I may not be the best cook ever either. Well... I like to think my cooking is worth beans... maybe just the cheap kind though.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will the Arab Spring Affect Films?
Danny McBride and Nick Swardson on 30 Minutes or Less
Luke Evans on The Three Musketeers
Ryan Gosling on Ides of March
George Clooney on Ides of March
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...