A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixel Quilt: Invader Zim "GIR"  (Read 10811 times)
Tags for this thread: pixel_quilt , invader_zim , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lyric889
« on: January 08, 2012 12:03:00 PM »

Initially, this was my first attempt at making a quilt. As crazy as it sounds, I really wanted to do a pixel quilt because I knew it would be challenging for me as beginner quilter. Well now that I'm finished with it, it turned out to be like my 7th or 8th quilt. I finished most of it then got frustrated quilting it and shoved it in my closet for well over a year. During that time I made like 7 new quilts and tried to forget this one. But a few months ago, I finally dug it out and finished it!!

Dimensions measure about 40" wide x 54" long. Each square is a little bit bigger than a USD quarter if you're trying to think about the size.

Total pixel squares used: 1,344

If you don't know who this is, it is Gir from the cartoon, Invader Zim. He's Zim's crazy and funny little sidekick basically.

Any comments or criticism is welcome!

Natural and artificial lighting (excuse the wrinkles, that is not the way it was sewn but this was fresh out of the washing machine and it wasn't ironed or anything. I swear I didn't sew it all puckery like it looks! Lol)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012 11:02:58 AM by lyric889 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012 01:11:03 PM »

Holy hell, you've got some serious patience to quilt with squares the size of a quarter! Love the subject, love the plaid backing, and you did such a great job on it! I've only made one quilt for a queen sized bed (mostly to say I did it) but I'll never quilt that big again. Smiley I'll stick with my yarn for projects that big.

BTW, I marked this is "rocks" for you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
kellydawncreations

I love to make creative colorful messes of love!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012 01:26:06 PM »

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this A) I have done a small amount of quilting haven't finished the 5 I have started two from over 7 years ago....so I appreciate those who get over the hurdle and/or have a closet quilt lurking B) I love this little robot guy a friend of mine had a sketch NOW I know he was not hers lol.... C) this kinda reminds me of cross stitch that same type of counting squares paying close attention or mucking it up...I made up new curse words when I attempted cross stitch...

SOOOO what my ramblegram is trying to say IS "I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!" on many levels  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
Pablo Picasso

need some fairy portraits of your kiddos or self??? www.kellydawncreations.etsy.com  I love to barter or swap!
fancybutch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012 02:56:00 PM »

love your design, the hint of shading worked in, and your colour choices, brilliant, fun and well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
FoxyMama

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012 03:00:28 PM »

Totally awesome - especially for your first quilt!

Love it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
lyric889
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012 11:13:00 AM »

Holy hell, you've got some serious patience to quilt with squares the size of a quarter! Love the subject, love the plaid backing, and you did such a great job on it! I've only made one quilt for a queen sized bed (mostly to say I did it) but I'll never quilt that big again. Smiley I'll stick with my yarn for projects that big.

BTW, I marked this is "rocks" for you. Smiley

Thanks so much! Yeah the squares were pretty small to work with but it was definitely a really fun challenge. It makes you feel accomplished once you finish it and look at all your hard work payed off Smiley

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this A) I have done a small amount of quilting haven't finished the 5 I have started two from over 7 years ago....so I appreciate those who get over the hurdle and/or have a closet quilt lurking B) I love this little robot guy a friend of mine had a sketch NOW I know he was not hers lol.... C) this kinda reminds me of cross stitch that same type of counting squares paying close attention or mucking it up...I made up new curse words when I attempted cross stitch...

SOOOO what my ramblegram is trying to say IS "I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!" on many levels  Grin

Thank you! Yeah I knew I needed to finish it so I just went for it and I was SOO glad once I was done Smiley

love your design, the hint of shading worked in, and your colour choices, brilliant, fun and well done.

thanks! I really like the shading too. It was a little harder to do but it makes it look more real and 3 dimensional. I think it was worth it Smiley

Totally awesome - especially for your first quilt!

Love it  Grin
Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012 02:49:50 PM »

This quilt makes me want to jump up and down, it is amazing and a half!!!
Would you be willing to share the pattern/pixel paper you used?  I would kill to make one like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMamaBee
Dreaming Bigger than my Ability!

I'm A Craftster Best of 2013 Winner!

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 02:55:18 PM »

Simply AWESOME!!! I love it and I think I like more that you finally went back and finished it! What an accomplishment! Now you can fill it's space with something else to not finish for awhile! Ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafty Blog!

Shop My Esty Shop! Check it out!

Swaps:
Embroidery Hoopla Rd 12(S/O 10/15): Awaiting Partners!
Mug Rug Swap Rd 6 (S/O 10/20): Sent in Questionnaire!
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012 09:14:41 AM »

This is so adorable.  I am very impressed that this is your/one or your first quilts.  You have some serious quilting mojo. . . .  as for the puckers, a lot of people go out of their way to get old-timey puckers.  It adds warmth and character!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
rainylakechick
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012 03:10:41 PM »

LOVE THIS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nuhlifluous
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012 06:43:04 PM »

I love your quilt! This is my favorite thing I've ever seen on craftster.  I hit this rocks of course.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyric889
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012 10:04:24 PM »

This quilt makes me want to jump up and down, it is amazing and a half!!!
Would you be willing to share the pattern/pixel paper you used?  I would kill to make one like this!
Haha thanks! I actually did sketch out and plan the squares on graph paper while I was making it and I'm pretty sure it's in my room somewhere. I'll look for it and post it!

Simply AWESOME!!! I love it and I think I like more that you finally went back and finished it! What an accomplishment! Now you can fill it's space with something else to not finish for awhile! Ha ha
Yeah it definitely felt good to finish it!

This is so adorable.  I am very impressed that this is your/one or your first quilts.  You have some serious quilting mojo. . . .  as for the puckers, a lot of people go out of their way to get old-timey puckers.  It adds warmth and character!!
Thank you! Yeah I started it as my first but while it sat in my closet I starting and finishing more quilts while this one was left unfinished :/

LOVE THIS!
Thanks!!

I love your quilt! This is my favorite thing I've ever seen on craftster.  I hit this rocks of course.   Grin
Oh my gosh that's such a huge compliment! Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Supermutts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012 04:16:29 AM »

Without a doubt one of the coolest quilts I've ever seen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." -Captain Mal
HowdySailor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012 10:20:32 AM »

Holy canoli! This is amazing! I want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haveyoumetlisa
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012 11:27:34 PM »

Awesome beyond words!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyric889
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012 11:09:10 PM »

Without a doubt one of the coolest quilts I've ever seen!

Thank you!

Holy canoli! This is amazing! I want!
Hahahahaha thanks!

Awesome beyond words!!!
Thank you so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momto3miracles
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012 04:48:47 PM »

WOW! I would love to have one like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazymimisews
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012 09:56:25 AM »

Looks good!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012 10:51:10 PM »

GIR! Can I have it? This would be so awesome to make a matching set for two siblings who shared a room. One quilt Gr, and the other Zim. Or Dib and Gaz.  It would also make a cute couples set for partners that live separate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moniqueramsey
I love to do personal swaps

I love to do personal swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012 09:53:40 AM »

This is fantastic! Great job.  Cheesy

I also hit "This Rocks".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012 09:54:45 AM by moniqueramsey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.PersephoneRose.etsy.com
28 Swaps down, 2 to go
lyric889
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012 09:22:16 PM »

Thanks so much for all the support guys! It really means a lot to see that other people love your work as much as you do.

GIR! Can I have it? This would be so awesome to make a matching set for two siblings who shared a room. One quilt Gr, and the other Zim. Or Dib and Gaz.  It would also make a cute couples set for partners that live separate.

OHH! A matching set would be so cute!! I never thought of that! Boy, that would take awhile though. Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kallimas
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012 02:18:28 PM »

This is an amazing work of art.  I can completely understand the frustration that leads to shoving a complicated piece like this into the closet for a year, but the end product is incredible.

You've inspired me to consider crocheting a pixel afghan using granny squares, but I imagine that won't see the light of day for a few years as I pick it up and then shove it into the closet in repeated frustration. 

That said, having seen my mother make several quilts, quilting is by far the more frustrating of the two crafts, in my opinion. I don't know if it is a skill I have the patience to cultivate, or maybe it has more to do with my fascination and aversion to sewing.

Kudos and keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/kallimas

Join Listia and enjoy free e-bay style auctions: http://www.listia.com/signup/1184337
RedRabbit
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012 07:27:43 AM »

This is super awesome & totally rocks! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gesikah
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012 04:14:37 PM »

Kick ass! I can't imagine sewing all those little squares together, I think I would end up losing my mind. Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyric889
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012 12:20:46 PM »

Here is my sketch/plan for mapping out the quilt that someone had asked for. If anyone wants to try it and you can't see the scan very clearly, just use this and the pictures of the actual quilt and I'm sure you can figure it out.

Btw I'm not completely sure those numbers are correct. You'll have to double check.  Oh and to get this size quilt, I cut all my squares to 1 3/4" sewing at 1/4 seams.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananabanana
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012 04:08:01 AM »

This is an awesome quilt! I put it in my "pixelated patchwork" treasury...it is by far the best...

I am thinking of making my brother a nintendo themed quilt for my next major project, so thanks for the inspiration..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhimsicallyObsessed
msg me if you're interested in a private swap! ^_^

comp died. having a hard time on craftster w/ cell

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012 07:03:17 PM »

This is soooooo awesome! I added it to my favorites on my profile Cheesy You did such a great job I couldnt believe it was your first one!! ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trying to get back into the swing of things. Trying to move forward and make big changes in my life come join me on my journey if you like!
Another Jennifer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012 07:09:45 AM »

That is just completely awesome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen

I blogged whatever project you are looking at right here:  jenniferfalkowski.com/
IAMTHELIE
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012 02:35:20 PM »

Oh man that looks so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012 11:17:29 PM »

My jaw dropped!!! This is incredible!!!!!!!! Cheesy

I love the shading technique, makes it look fantastic Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
12thletter
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012 06:08:55 PM »

I love, love, love Invader Zim!!! I also really love the purple flannel backing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012 10:08:13 PM »

It doesn't look wrinkly, it looks well done. GORGEOUS work on all those little squares o_0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Roses_are_red
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012 05:42:09 PM »

this is so adorable! I'm especially impressed with the size of the "pixels" you used! EXCELLENT Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
libertine49
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012 12:29:18 AM »

I love this!

I love Gir and this picture of him is a good one.
And, man you have a lot of patience! I started my first quilt for piecing together the squares and such, it's now been two years since I was supposed to give it as a gift...

You are awesome! Much respect for the patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013 10:17:52 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013 09:34:37 AM »

Amazing work, love the look
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Realistic Tree Trunks in Watercolor Painting
How to Create Bricks with Watercolor
How to Create Fences in Watercolor Painting
How to Draw Monkey D Luffy from One Piece Manga
How to Draw Mulan
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...