A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixel Quilt: Invader Zim "GIR"  (Read 10352 times)
Tags for this thread: pixel_quilt , invader_zim , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lyric889
« on: January 08, 2012 12:03:00 PM »

Initially, this was my first attempt at making a quilt. As crazy as it sounds, I really wanted to do a pixel quilt because I knew it would be challenging for me as beginner quilter. Well now that I'm finished with it, it turned out to be like my 7th or 8th quilt. I finished most of it then got frustrated quilting it and shoved it in my closet for well over a year. During that time I made like 7 new quilts and tried to forget this one. But a few months ago, I finally dug it out and finished it!!

Dimensions measure about 40" wide x 54" long. Each square is a little bit bigger than a USD quarter if you're trying to think about the size.

Total pixel squares used: 1,344

If you don't know who this is, it is Gir from the cartoon, Invader Zim. He's Zim's crazy and funny little sidekick basically.

Any comments or criticism is welcome!

Natural and artificial lighting (excuse the wrinkles, that is not the way it was sewn but this was fresh out of the washing machine and it wasn't ironed or anything. I swear I didn't sew it all puckery like it looks! Lol)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012 11:02:58 AM by lyric889 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012 01:11:03 PM »

Holy hell, you've got some serious patience to quilt with squares the size of a quarter! Love the subject, love the plaid backing, and you did such a great job on it! I've only made one quilt for a queen sized bed (mostly to say I did it) but I'll never quilt that big again. Smiley I'll stick with my yarn for projects that big.

BTW, I marked this is "rocks" for you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
kellydawncreations

I love to make creative colorful messes of love!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012 01:26:06 PM »

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this A) I have done a small amount of quilting haven't finished the 5 I have started two from over 7 years ago....so I appreciate those who get over the hurdle and/or have a closet quilt lurking B) I love this little robot guy a friend of mine had a sketch NOW I know he was not hers lol.... C) this kinda reminds me of cross stitch that same type of counting squares paying close attention or mucking it up...I made up new curse words when I attempted cross stitch...

SOOOO what my ramblegram is trying to say IS "I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!" on many levels  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
Pablo Picasso

need some fairy portraits of your kiddos or self??? www.kellydawncreations.etsy.com  I love to barter or swap!
fancybutch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012 02:56:00 PM »

love your design, the hint of shading worked in, and your colour choices, brilliant, fun and well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012 03:00:28 PM »

Totally awesome - especially for your first quilt!

Love it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
lyric889
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012 11:13:00 AM »

Holy hell, you've got some serious patience to quilt with squares the size of a quarter! Love the subject, love the plaid backing, and you did such a great job on it! I've only made one quilt for a queen sized bed (mostly to say I did it) but I'll never quilt that big again. Smiley I'll stick with my yarn for projects that big.

BTW, I marked this is "rocks" for you. Smiley

Thanks so much! Yeah the squares were pretty small to work with but it was definitely a really fun challenge. It makes you feel accomplished once you finish it and look at all your hard work payed off Smiley

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this A) I have done a small amount of quilting haven't finished the 5 I have started two from over 7 years ago....so I appreciate those who get over the hurdle and/or have a closet quilt lurking B) I love this little robot guy a friend of mine had a sketch NOW I know he was not hers lol.... C) this kinda reminds me of cross stitch that same type of counting squares paying close attention or mucking it up...I made up new curse words when I attempted cross stitch...

SOOOO what my ramblegram is trying to say IS "I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!" on many levels  Grin

Thank you! Yeah I knew I needed to finish it so I just went for it and I was SOO glad once I was done Smiley

love your design, the hint of shading worked in, and your colour choices, brilliant, fun and well done.

thanks! I really like the shading too. It was a little harder to do but it makes it look more real and 3 dimensional. I think it was worth it Smiley

Totally awesome - especially for your first quilt!

Love it  Grin
Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012 02:49:50 PM »

This quilt makes me want to jump up and down, it is amazing and a half!!!
Would you be willing to share the pattern/pixel paper you used?  I would kill to make one like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMamaBee
Dreaming Bigger than my Ability!

I'm A Craftster Best of 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 02:55:18 PM »

Simply AWESOME!!! I love it and I think I like more that you finally went back and finished it! What an accomplishment! Now you can fill it's space with something else to not finish for awhile! Ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafty Blog!

Shop My Esty Shop! Check it out!

Swaps:
Spirit/Intention Doll Swap: Sent!
Twinches Needlework Swap: At the drawing table...
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012 09:14:41 AM »

This is so adorable.  I am very impressed that this is your/one or your first quilts.  You have some serious quilting mojo. . . .  as for the puckers, a lot of people go out of their way to get old-timey puckers.  It adds warmth and character!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
rainylakechick
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012 03:10:41 PM »

LOVE THIS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Braid Black Hair
How to Do Micro Braids
How to Retwist Dreads
How to Plait Hair
How to Flat Iron Black Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...