A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,653
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 60" opaque cotton  (Read 917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cloudsnapper
« on: January 08, 2012 09:16:44 AM »

I'm in need of some 60" opaque cotton to make a historical nightgown. http://butterick.mccall.com/b5061-products-7674.php?page_id=916&search_control=display&list=search The one in the lower right corner, I guess the only nightgown on there. I love the design.
I can't find any in the fabric stores in town (Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby.)
I found some 60" broadcloth at FabricDirect.com and it says it's a little heavier than a man's dress shirt, but all the broadcloth I've found in town is really light and you can see through it some. I want to be able to wear this around people and it be decent. Would flannel be better? I'm only thinking that flannel would be too hot.
I want to make this because I have a sewing book from the 50's that says that everyone needs a nightgown for entertaining overnight houseguests. That sounds so silly now, but it's pretty and would be kind of funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012 12:55:47 PM »

Ooh, that's pretty!  You can usually find different widths of cotton muslin in Hancock's...did you ask?  I think flannel would get hot, unless you wanted it just for winter.  If you're sewing one of the smaller sizes, I think you could get away with using 45", and just get extra yardage.  Also, your Hancock's may be able to order Robert Kaufman Kona cotton, if it doesn't carry it, which comes in 60".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
cloudsnapper
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012 05:14:09 PM »

I'll try looking in the muslin section next time I'm out. I asked and the guy couldn't find anything, but later I heard him tell someone it was his second job and he didn't know anything about sewing. So maybe he didn't think of that? I guess I know some about sewing and I didn't think of it. There was quilt backing but that was very expensive.
Even though I'll be sewing a smaller size, I think it's the circumference at the bottom that makes it need the extra width. It's super A-line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012 07:26:13 PM »

Hm...I was just looking at the pattern layout to estimate.  If you have the actual piece, you could always measure!  As long as the bottom edge isn't more than 22", 45" fabric would work.  Based on the circumference given on the pattern, I bet it'll work, as long as you're not making a L or XL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
cloudsnapper
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012 07:11:15 AM »

Hm...I was just looking at the pattern layout to estimate.  If you have the actual piece, you could always measure!  As long as the bottom edge isn't more than 22", 45" fabric would work.  Based on the circumference given on the pattern, I bet it'll work, as long as you're not making a L or XL.

You're right! It'll just fit 45" fabric as long as it doesn't shrink much in the wash and the selvage isn't too wide! I'll probably have to shorten it anyway, (5'0", lol) so that might give an extra inch.
I hadn't thought about measuring the actual pattern! I thought they would be right on the package.
Now it comes down to whether I want light pink, light blue, or white. Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
figureamour
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012 09:04:17 AM »

Have you thought about adding a second layer of self fabric that way it wouldn't be translucent. Muslin can be thin at times but it is breathable and 100% cotton so it wouldn't be too hot. Also the pattern looks like it would be pretty loose so you would still have body room for the second layer of fabric. Just cut the armholes a little bigger to make up for the extra layer.
Tiffany

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012 09:14:09 AM by Aislynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Smart Filters - Photoshop
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 1/2
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 2/2
How to Use the Render Que - Adobe After Effects
How to Create Templates - Sony Vegas Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...