A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Squidapus Pillow  (Read 985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LupitaS
« on: January 07, 2012 04:36:43 PM »

Yes, yes, I know this is just a squid, but it sounds cooler calling him a Squidapus, dont'cha think? Anyways, this was my first sewing project as well as my gift to Jesus for Christmas! One day, my brother e-mailed me a pattern to this:http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/style/2009/02/12/fridiy-8-foot-giant-squid-pillow/ and wrote, "You should totally make this! :O" This was on July 10th, 2011.
When I read this I merely smiled, thought what a cool pillow that was, closed it, and went on looking for crochet patterns. Around November, I tried to figure out what to make for Jesus for Christmas and the squid pillow popped into my mind. Knowing this was the perfect gift for him this year, and that he most likely forgot about it, I got two yards of a soft purple fabric, one yard of a nice stripped fabric, got out my mom's sewing machine, and stared at it. "I don't know how to sew", I thought.
Well, luckily, my mom did. She thought me how to use the sewing machine and let me start with my project. Making the legs was the hardest. I often had to re-sew them but in the end, it was worth it. Some of the pillow was hand-sewn and some of it was with the machine but all in all he loved it.
The pillow was pretty big, so I had to wrap it in the Christmas Tree Box Smiley. When he tore off the wrapping paper and saw the box, I exclaimed, "I got you a Christmas tree Cheesy" He laughed, opened the box, and hugged his pillow.
And so ladies and gentlemen I present to you, Squidapus!!!:

Wait a second.....who are you? I don't remember adding a mustache to Squidapus?!!!

Ah there you are!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lupita Cheesy
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012 04:43:30 PM »

Well that's awesome. I'm trying to figure out who I could make this for because I surely do want to stitch one up! It won't even fit in our tiny apartment unless one of us moves out or I'd consider keeping it myself Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
AmberMuffinz
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012 04:58:34 PM »

Awesome, it turned out great! Especially for a first time sewer. I made this exact pattern, although I made it a bit smaller lol. The legs were annoying to flip back side out since they were rather skinny due to me making it about half the size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goumi
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012 12:37:31 PM »

He looks so polished and perfect! I loooove the color combo you chose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012 02:16:11 PM »

Holy cephalopod, Batman! I think I may have just figured out what to make the other half for Valentines day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangebee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012 01:53:58 PM »

Wow, your first sewing project? Surely you jest! That is an amazing job and such a great project to start with. I've been wanting to make that pattern for ever and I think you just inspired me to do so. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

I can have a dark side too!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012 08:45:07 AM »

This is so cool!  And so well done for a first project, I'm well impressed.  I have now saved the pattern for future usage, when I find someone I can sew it for.  Or some space in my room...  Bet your bro loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jelayer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012 02:41:45 PM »

This is incredibly cute! I love his under-tentacle fabric. I just want to cuddle him. Very good job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Anne Truitt on Her Work
A Conversation with Christina Lauren
Jamie Ford: Sadness of Seattle Sparked Writing Career
Delia Ephron: Your Writing Is Your Fingerprint
Tom Clavin: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...