A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Catch-all corkboard calendar (tutorial included)  (Read 1069 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« on: January 07, 2012 01:26:34 PM »

In the traditional gift-giving time, we had a creative gift swap with some friends. I drew the name of a terribly disorganised friend (so much clutter in her house!) and I decided I wanted to give her something to help her get organised, or at least, to reduce the time she spends looking after her keys. I mad her this piece of hallway decoration, which consists of a pin board, a perpetual calendar, a mirror and a jewellery display annex key holder:

(Picture not embedded as I don't have sufficient posts yet.)

I was inspired by these craftster projects: Jewellery display and Perpetual calendar (though it's not a lot like the last one at all)
I've already submitted this project to ikeahackers.net, but it is yet to be published.

Materials:
1 Malma mirror 2
1 set of Tyst placemats 2.99
1 piece of plywood/fiberboard/other thin wood, mine was 61x122cm, which I cut down to 61x65cm, I think I paid 5 for the entire panel
24 (or more) screw in hooks (don't be tempted to buy the nail in ones: they tend to warp, and even if they don't, they don't stay put), I paid just under 6
~2.5m of black satin ribbon, I paid 4
thumbtacks
picture hooks
nails
glue
a ruler
a marker
a staple gun
a cutter knife
a cutting board
a hammer
this tool, I don't know what it's called in English:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Priem.jpg

Procedure:
1. one the blank back of one of the placemats, measure out the size of the calendar. DO NOT CUT TO SIZE YET! With a ruler and a marker, draw the grid for the calendar. Using pencil on the cork doesn't work, as you damage the cork and you can't see the lines. To get the proper spacing for the months, I first measured everything out on paper, wrote down the months, put the paper on to the cork and went over the letters twice with my marker. The ink seeped through enough to then write the letters onto the cork with everything spaced evenly. A cumbersome task, but it looks better this way. Didn't bother to do this for the numbers though, that was too much work. I probably don't need to tell anybody to make sure that you work from top to bottom and left to right (or vice verse if you're a lefty) to avoid smudges.

2. if you screw up on the calendar, don't weep: cut off 1 cm from each short edge of the placemat (this removes the undesirable rounded edges) and start over with a second one. As there are 4 placemats in one pack, you have room fail three times! When you get the calendar the way it is supposed to be, cut it to size.

3. for the cork board to the side, cut off 1 cm from each short edge of two placemats (or less, if the calendar didn't go very smoothly)

4. liberally apply glue to the back of the cork panels and glue them onto the wooden panel. Clean up any spills before loading all the books you own onto the surface to apply plenty of pressure. Allow the glue to set for a night. (Follow instructions on your glue, setting time and amount of pressure needed vary.)

5. finish off the edges with satin ribbon. On the front, use thumbtacks to ping the ribbon onto the corkboard, except for where the mirror is supposed to come, use the staple gun there. Folding around the corners is a bit tricky, but you should manage. You'll probably need to hammer in the thumbtacks, as they're a bit longer than the cork is thick. Fold the ribbon over to the back, and attach it with the staple gun.

6. from the back, nail the mirror onto the wooden base. I guess you could glue this too, but I don't have great faith in glue when it comes to heavier objects like a mirror.

7. using the unnamed tool and a hammer, make holes in the mirror where you want the hooks to go. Screw in the hooks and hope that none of them break off (one of ours did!) and that they don't crack the wood. Ideally, you could screw in the hooks before you attach the mirror to the base panel, so you can just use another mirror if a mishap does happen, but when the hooks are in place, it's really hard to attach the mirror to the base panel...

8. (optional) attach picture hooks on the back of the board and hang onto the wall. You could also just put it on top of your shoe cabinet in the hallway if that is the right height.

You can indicate what month and day it is with thumbtack, which I wanted to give a special shape. Ran out of time though. You could glue two layers of placemats on to the base board if you really want to be able to push them all the way in, but for me, it's an advantage that there's a bit of space between the cork and the edge of the thumbtack: they're easier to get out while they go deep enough to pin up your notes.

I hope I put this tutorial in the right place! With the placemats and the mirror, which could both have had a previous purpose (though not in my case) they seemed to qualify as reconstructed. It's also not just a jewellery display, so this seemed to be the right place.

I hope you liked this project and could use one of these yourself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012 02:48:55 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012 04:18:23 AM »

Hi there, dear friend! Good to see you on Craftster.

I love it, I really do. I also must say that I do like the mirror, even if she won't be able to use it because of the placement on the wall. It's a nice extra feature.

Has she already received?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Zombiebride
Im on the edge of gorey

Love is like a brick you can build a house or sink a dead body

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012 03:17:23 PM »

Love this ill make one for me Haha Thanks for posting the tut
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Herb Rubbed Pork Chops with Fire Roasted Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Mustard Encrusted Salmon with Tomato and Onion Salad
Learn how to Tailgate - Pork Cole Slaw and Baked Beans
Learn how to Make Delicious Tailgating Recipes
Learn how to use the Tailgating Tool Box
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...