A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need 100% allergen free recipe for dog treats for my Molly girl  (Read 1002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MollyGirl
« on: January 06, 2012 07:41:25 PM »

OK, Molly is allergic to just about everything.  She can't have any grains, she  can't have chicken, dairy, beef, pork, rice or eggs.  I have found her some treats which are essentially salmon jerky.  She is on a prescription food, and likes it ok.  It is basically fish and sweet potatoes.  The vet said we can also try her on some alternate protein foods like bison, venison and duck.  (read really expensive but she is sooo worth it!)  Anyway, I want to try my hand at making some treats for her because she loves them.  But virtually every treat recipe I have found has one of the above ingredients in it!  I find grain free recipes which have eggs, or egg free recipes with chicken broth.  Argh!!  She really likes/can eat peanut butter, pumpkin and fish.  Does anyone have any recipes for treats that my girl can eat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012 07:13:59 AM »

Could she have potato flakes?  You may be able to substitute those for flour in a recipe as a binder.  You might want to get a dehydrator to make your own fish jerky.  I think any recipe that calls for chicken broth has it in there for flavor.  You could substitute water.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msminnamouse
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012 07:33:40 PM »

I made treats as I go, not by recipes. I start with the wet ingredients and add in the dry ingredients and then bake either on low or on high, depending on whether I want a hard or chewy treat. It's not hard.

For example: You can start with a can of 100% tuna. Put the tuna, liquid and all, in the blender, add a little bit of baking soda and baking powder. Then stir in a flour. They make all kinds. Potato flour, tapioca flour (most likely called starch), bean flour, peanut flour, etc. You can use different ones together if you'd like. Then mix your dough to the consistency that you like and you can cut shapes out. It might help to add some oil to the batter to prevent too much tackiness. And then bake. Depending on how long you bake and at what temp, you can come out with hard biscuits or treats that are chewy and moist in the middle.

You can try making treats with peanut butter, blended meats, veggies, fruits, etc.

You can store them in your fridge but if you add some preservatives, then you don't have to. Not ALL preservatives are bad and unnatural. You've got citric acid, acetic acid, salt, sugar, potassium sorbate, sorbic acid, etc. I use those, but not all at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Runescape Scene in 3ds Max Part 2/2
How to Make a Runescape Scene in 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Make a Simple Box Scene - 3ds Max
How to Import files into your Scene - 3ds Max
How to change the Background Image When Rendering - 3ds Max
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...