A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need ideas for covering a bathroom wall  (Read 1128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FoxInDocs
« on: January 06, 2012 03:45:33 PM »

So, Hubby and I bout this house a little over a year ago. It's small, but it's just the two of us.

We have this tiny little ugly bathroom, that's very impractical and has no storage (really, none, all my stuff is in cardboard boxes in the bathtub).

As it's just the two of us, we have no intention to have children, and neither of us is really into taking baths, we want to get rid of the bathtub, and put a proper vanity unit there instead, and we want to get rid of this weird little sink altogether (excuse mess):

however, that's going to leave a great gaping hole in the tiles.

i've accepted that the floor will need to be retiled after we take the bath out, but this is not a top qualiy home, and i don't want to spend $15,000 on a full bathroom renovation (even if i had that much money lying around) i just want to give it a freshen up and make it more useful.

So, we don't want to retile the whole bathroom, but we will need to cover up that gap. the chances of finding the same tiles, given that the house is 40 years old, is very slim, so i need some ideas for alternatives.

The only thing i've thought of so far is to insert a mosaic of some kind, but it might look a bit like i've stuck a bit of paper over it that says "no hole here!"

P.S. i'm thinking of keeping the floor brown, 70's as it is, but painting the top half of the wall a darker green and going for a rainforest theme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineBdog
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012 04:39:37 PM »

if you are removing the tub, why not turn the whole area where the tub is now into a shower for two? it won't matter if the tile is different. you can try for something that will have all three colors in it. You can make or buy an over the toilet unit for storage. you can roll your towels rather than fold and store them there. buy a big medicine cabinet, and with a vanity under the sink and those items you should have enough storage for two. When there is not a lot of space, think of using the unused space above for shelves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxInDocs
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012 05:13:47 PM »

I really want the bigger vanity - where the bath is - because i like to have a surface to put things down on when i'm doing my hair or makeup, and i like a big mirror (and have one in storage that i got when my mum renovated her bathroom). i also like the mirror to be over the basin, which i can't do with the current one because the window's there.

The toilet has a room of it's own (more like a cubical), and is also under a window, so over toilet storage is not really an option. my towels get stored in the hallway linen cupboard, so storage is for lotions and potions, hair do-dads, nail polishes, and also my curling tongs, straightner, hair-dryer and hubby's hair clipper thinger, which unfortunately won't fit in a medicine cabinet.....

wow.... i sound like i might actually be a girl when i list things in my bathroom....

but yeah, the layout has had alot of thought, and that's the best way to do it for us, so the ugly little sink has to go. just need to patch up the hole it's going to leave in the wall...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012 06:29:05 AM »

Could you patch the hole then put a piece of furniture to cover it?  If you want to do a mosaic, you could do it from the bottom of the window to the floor as a focal point for the wall. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mark.jayson
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012 05:48:47 AM »

You can remove the window and put a mirror. I think it will be expensive if you remove the tub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Double Crochet
How to Half Double Crochet
How to Single Crochet
Inexpensive Halloween Decorations
Eco Friendly Halloween Crafts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...