Made this to fill in some awkward wall space above my bed
(please excuse the terrible quality of the pictures, they were taken with a cellphone camera)
I used the particle-board backing to an old shelf I was throwing out to make the main structure of it. The board is pretty flexible, so it was easy to create the arch shape I needed. I started by cutting out a short rectangle and a rectangle twice that length of the same height, then I created the arch shape by bending the longer rectangle and securing it to each side of the shorter one with L brackets and small screws. If you were looking down onto the piece once it was bent and secured it would look like a capital D. Then I traced around the arch shape on a second piece of particle board and cut that D shape out to make a sort of roof to the arch. Once that was glued on, I then added two wall mounts to the back with screws so it could hang on a wall like a shelf.
Covering the structure with fabric was the most time consuming part. I cut out and hemmed a pair of drapes, then stapled them to the edge around the arch, putting a pleat every inch or so as I stapled them to the board. Then I covered the top with fabric and added the swag under the drapes. It would be very difficult to explain in text how to make a swag, but I'm sure there are some fantastic tutorials on this site or even youtube that would explain it more eloquently than I.
It would have been so much easier to add the fringe before, but I waited until after everything was stapled down then I hand-sewed it on. Absolutely mind numbing, I don't recommend hand sewing trims if it can be avoided.
The drapery holdbacks are skull shaped, made from retro Halloween sucker moulds and Sculpey clay. The skull is glued to a wooden dowel rod, which is also glued to a base made of Sculpey clay. The whole thing was then painted black, and the skull painted with Elmer's glue and covered with black glitter.
The headboard under the bed crown is for a queen sized bed, so you can get a sense of its size by that.