A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! need a good bottle cutter  (Read 1042 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

insertusername
« on: January 06, 2012 05:23:36 AM »

Anyone have a suggestion on a good bottle cutter.   i got an Armour and it sucks!  I cant get a good score line.  Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apis_melis
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012 09:45:31 AM »

I have one of these:

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/BOTTLECUTTING.php3

It has worked very well for me. The design is great because it rotates from the center rather than the edge. It accommodates a wide range of sizes.

A few tips:

The aluminum is a little bendy, so be gentle.

Keep the neck snug on the cone.

Go smoothly, go evenly, but never go back! Stopping short by a millimeter or two is better than overshooting your starting point. To make it easier to see, I mark a blob with Sharpie before beginning and start there.

Use a little oil on the wheel. I use 3-in-1 because it was lying around. You may want to check with stained glass artists to see what they use.

I think the video shows it being used upright. I am butterfingered, so I put it flat on a table.

Be sure the arms are perpendicular when the butterflies are tightened.

Use boiling water. Not hot, boiling. I got an electric kettle for $20 that plugs in right next to the sink. It also makes great tea.

Alternate boiling water with cold, running the streams right on the cut line. Watch for the mirrored ribbon to run around the bottle and listen for the clear bell-like tinkle. A dull sound indicates a crack or irregularity that will probably be fatal to one or both pieces.

Hope this helps. Happy bottlecrafting!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012 09:50:01 AM by apis_melis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaymar
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013 10:44:13 AM »

I have one of these:

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/BOTTLECUTTING.php3

It has worked very well for me. The design is great because it rotates from the center rather than the edge. It accommodates a wide range of sizes.

A few tips:

The aluminum is a little bendy, so be gentle.

Keep the neck snug on the cone.

Go smoothly, go evenly, but never go back! Stopping short by a millimeter or two is better than overshooting your starting point. To make it easier to see, I mark a blob with Sharpie before beginning and start there.

Use a little oil on the wheel. I use 3-in-1 because it was lying around. You may want to check with stained glass artists to see what they use.

I think the video shows it being used upright. I am butterfingered, so I put it flat on a table.

Be sure the arms are perpendicular when the butterflies are tightened.

Use boiling water. Not hot, boiling. I got an electric kettle for $20 that plugs in right next to the sink. It also makes great tea.

Alternate boiling water with cold, running the streams right on the cut line. Watch for the mirrored ribbon to run around the bottle and listen for the clear bell-like tinkle. A dull sound indicates a crack or irregularity that will probably be fatal to one or both pieces.

Hope this helps. Happy bottlecrafting!

That video is pretty impressive. Have you been pretty successful with this method? As in more than 50% of the time, lol.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apis_melis
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013 05:56:22 PM »

I have since moved to a tile saw with diamond blade, but when I was using the glass cutter I got about 75% good cuts on a great day. It is a groove thing. Not just that it cuts a groove, but it takes regular practice. When I went a week or two between tries, my first few cuts would suck. This is true of many tools, even including a saw. It is good to keep a few practice bottles on hand to warm up on. I can't say that I have tried every cutter on the market, but the Green Power design is the best I have used.

Bear in mind that few bottles are made with even walls, so some will fail no matter what method you use because the internal tensions are too irregular. Heavier bottles (used for champagne and some liquor) are more resilient; beer and Two Buck Chuck bottles can be dicey. The price of the contents is not a good indicator of bottle quality. If you inspect the bottom, you can sometimes see a thickening on one side. This is an indicator to be especially careful, or to make friends with a tile setter.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Random Little Things in Lightroom That Throw People Off
Everything You Wanted to Know About Photoshop Guides
Lightroom Tutorials: The Key Difference Between Cloning and Healing
Lightroom Tutorials: Editing a Beach Photo
Photoshop Tutorials: Stitching and Cleaning Up Panoramas
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...