A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leather jacket, Slippers, Robe, Cloak, Hat, Glittens, Scarf! Morbidly pic obese.  (Read 1875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Iokina
« on: January 05, 2012 01:55:16 AM »

I went a little crazy for Christmas this year! (and this isn't all of it!)

I thought about posting these separate but didn't want to seem like an attention whore!

I'm a costume tech for my university's theater department as well as a few other odd design jobs. I don't have any real 'training' besides working and my own practice. My boss gave me the keys to shop (only two blocks from my house!) and shop + winter break = sewpalooza! I made all of the following in the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas:

Winter Set

For my mom, free because all materials were scraps from costume shop. No patterns.

My mom and I going to Christmas Eve service!

Cloak

For my brother, who never leaves the house. Free, everything found in shop. No pattern.

There's crushed velvet in the hood! <3

Freudian Slippers (and robe)
For my dad, the psychologist. Get it?
Slippers were $9 for soles, no pattern. Robe was about $15 for fabric but I already had it so it was sort of free. pattern was a 70's dressing gown, single-sized, 12 inches too small. Grading grading grading!

The guts! The sole is made out of grippy fabric, leather, memory foam insoles from amazon, two layers of batting, and an Ultrasuede-like material. No pattern.

(the insert in the one slipper is after he wore them for like a week...he has uneven legs so he always puts those in one of his shoes)

(He's wearing this a little strangely....the cuffs aren't meant to be rolled, there is supposed to be a belt, and the lapel is a little off. Oh well!

Leather Jacket
Also for my mom. Bought 50sq ft of garment leather. Never worked with leather before! Made it in two days, so it's sadly imperfect. The hem is wonky and I need to go back through with an even stronger needle to fix some skipped stitches. $155 for leather, found lining and zipper. I heavily edited a pattern for this one.

Hand-embroidered my mom's name....hand embroidering leather is just a dumb idea!

You can see the most annoying skipped stitch - at the collar. My machine was just not having it! Also, check out the dotted line pattern next to the seams. I ran it through without thread to create that tiny detail on all the seams!

That's all for now - until I get pictures of my boyfriend's shirt, vest, and tie!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 02:08:54 AM by Iokina » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012 05:21:16 AM »

wow, all of these are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012 06:05:48 AM »

wow!
You are the clothing whisperer, to make so many things without a pattern, and everything is just awesome!
Mad skills!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
acraftyjean
Wasabi Snobby~ It's green and it's hot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012 06:49:41 AM »

excellent!! you are truly amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled repurposed denim and such for handmade accessories!
AllieStephs
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012 07:28:23 AM »

I absolutely love these pieces! Especially the set you made for your mom (love the ruffle you did in the middle of the scarf)! You are amazing my dear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012 08:22:45 AM »

I looked at your pictures before I read this:

I'm a costume tech for my university's theater department
but it makes sense! Everything looks really well made! Great job!

I thought about posting these separate but didn't want to seem like an attention whore!

Nah! Don't worry about that! They're all pretty different and awesome in their own right anyway! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Iokina
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012 10:31:59 PM »

wow, all of these are amazing!
Aww, thanks so much!
wow!
You are the clothing whisperer, to make so many things without a pattern, and everything is just awesome!
Mad skills!
S
Oh goodness, I don't know about clothing whisperer, but maybe some day! Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!
excellent!! you are truly amazing!
Oh gosh, thanks!
I absolutely love these pieces! Especially the set you made for your mom (love the ruffle you did in the middle of the scarf)! You are amazing my dear!
I was pretty proud of the scarf, myself...The freedom of not needing it to 'fit' was just a great break from everything else! Thanks so much!!
I looked at your pictures before I read this:

I'm a costume tech for my university's theater department
but it makes sense! Everything looks really well made! Great job!

Nah! Don't worry about that! They're all pretty different and awesome in their own right anyway! Smiley

Well I really do appreciate it, thanks so much for such a sweet comment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012 02:17:27 PM »

While highly impressed with all of the sewing, I am super impressed with the leather work and the shoe making.

Tell people you make shoes and watch their heads go BOOM. Quite funny really.  Cheesy

Great work, all of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012 04:54:32 PM »

Nice job. Everything looks really neat and professional. I really like the scarf. Ruffles are always a good thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Fresh Polish Combos to Try Now
How to Massage Your Face
Homegrown Remedies for Your Worst Skin Disasters
How to Master the Metallic Smoky Eye
How to Hide Your Under Eye Circles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...