A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 52531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2012 03:56:07 PM »

I find if I don't eat grains, I don't want them.  But I have one moment of carbo joy and it triggers a week of brain numbing drooly cravings.  And most the time, the first slip up is just because it can be so hard to eat high pro/low carb while out and about.  My weakness is McDawdels sausage and egg McMuffintops.  But one can't just eat the sausage and egg part as the cheese is stuck to one 1/2 the English muffin..and I like cheese.  Plus, the sausage is so greasy, I need the one side of the EM to sop up the grease...I throw that one away.  I do understand all the terrible things about going to that restaurant...but it is one of the few cravings I get anymore.  And they are the ONLY decent drive through coffee I know of.  I have chucked so many cups of Starbucks coffee after the first sip, I won't go there to save my caffeine headache.  They may be good at those coffees that should be called desert.  But they have forgotten how to make a good cup of real coffee (I hate flavored coffee and I am a cream only ggrrrllll, so you can't hide a crummy cup of Joe on me Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2012 04:01:41 PM »

lol at Egg McMuffintops! Ha, love it!  I've actually had pretty good luck eating out with low carb. One week I even ate at Noodles and Co and Old Spaghetti Factory and had low carb!(I'm signed up for so many coupons at restaurants, and they all give you free stuff around your bday!) It is pretty surprising that Mcd's has good coffee,  right? I like their Southwest Chicken Salad...I live in Portland, it rains a lot, sometimes their indoor play place is the only things that stands between me not wringing my nephews' necks.

Just eating one side of the bread sounds like a good compromise! Lots of places you can order "no bun" or "protein style" (more for hamburgers) and they'll either wrap it in lettuce or put it in a little dish and give you a knife and fork. I bought some Atkins baking mix and am experimenting with that (next time going to try Bob's Red Mill low carb baking mix) and occasionally I have a Mission Carb Balance low carb tortilla.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012 04:02:32 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2012 04:28:40 AM »

I have done about 5 HCG rounds which meant no carb for 6 or 7 weeks...i craved bread all of that time!..it is very tough to low carb when eating out in Ireland, lunch anywhere means a sandwich..and while I am a good cook, during the summer we do a lot of easy, scrappy meals and they always involve bread..mind you I do mostly eat my own home made wholemeal soda  bread with plenty of seeds etc..so it is not as bad as it could be.

interestingly I could happily live without potatoes, rice, pasta..it is just bread, for convenience as much as anything

I know, excuses excuses..lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2012 08:47:57 AM »

I have been playing around with coconut flour.  I love coconut anything and have been using the oil for years.  But I made some coconut pancakes the other day and they rocked.  Very close to a normal pancake.  It took more eggs then would for wheat flour.  And you have to use baking soda or baking powder to get them to fluff up.  But it was sooooo nice to not have to have guar gum and tapioca flour and all the other hard to find things that they used to tell me I had to use to get low carb and gluten free replacement baked goods
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: September 07, 2012 10:33:12 AM »

I have done about 5 HCG rounds which meant no carb for 6 or 7 weeks...i craved bread all of that time!..it is very tough to low carb when eating out in Ireland, lunch anywhere means a sandwich..and while I am a good cook, during the summer we do a lot of easy, scrappy meals and they always involve bread..mind you I do mostly eat my own home made wholemeal soda  bread with plenty of seeds etc..so it is not as bad as it could be.

interestingly I could happily live without potatoes, rice, pasta..it is just bread, for convenience as much as anything

I know, excuses excuses..lol

Do you guys have "Sandwich Thins" there, edel? LIke super thin buns? They also do bagel thins here. Still great for making a sandwich, but only around 100 cals (and obviously less carbs.)

I have been playing around with coconut flour.  I love coconut anything and have been using the oil for years.  But I made some coconut pancakes the other day and they rocked.  Very close to a normal pancake.  It took more eggs then would for wheat flour.  And you have to use baking soda or baking powder to get them to fluff up.  But it was sooooo nice to not have to have guar gum and tapioca flour and all the other hard to find things that they used to tell me I had to use to get low carb and gluten free replacement baked goods

Ooh I'd love to hear your recipe, Sue! I have some coconut flour pancakes pinned but haven't tried them yet. I did make fried chicken with a combo of coconut flour and almond flour for the breading, super yummy! I don't think I knew/remembered that you were gluten free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #495 on: September 07, 2012 10:41:22 AM »

Those sandwich thins only make me crave real good hearty bread... Sad

I lost 44 pounds on low carb but was unable to sustain it...has anyone tried the Foodlovers' Diet as seen on infomercials?  It sounds too good to be true, but sort of made sense to me...eating proteins with carbs, eating more meals but littler portions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: September 07, 2012 10:43:55 AM »

Always, did you follow the plan where when you lost the weight you slowly add back in carbs until you find the number where you can maintain? I've never done that before, or had the mindset that I was ok with giving up most carbs forever. I'm just so happy to be losing, I've literally lost the same 10 pounds over and over the last couple years while just counting calories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #497 on: September 07, 2012 10:51:07 AM »

nope--the PLAN did not fail, I failed to follow instructions...I got whiny as well because I wanted to eat what I wanted to eat and still expected it to work...I guess I am like a lot of people who want to lose weight and get healthy...I want it to just happen and just work with no effort...

I need to once again get prepared psychologically since I know how to lose weight...I just hate doing all that I need to do... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
suereal

« Reply #498 on: September 07, 2012 10:57:05 AM »

I just googled coconut flour pancakes.  I read 3 or 4 recipes and picked the one with the least eggs, and then I inserted the leavening agent from another recipe (the one with the least eggs had both baking soda and baking powder I didn't have BP so I used the measure for the B soda from recipe 2).  I also added the largest amount of cinnamon I could stand as I love the stuff.

I'm actually grain free mostly.  It's just easier to say gluten free these days.  I'm super allergic to grasses and since grains are grasses they all give me one kind of trouble or another, mostly to do with mood.  If I eat rice too often I get very depressed and slow.  If I eat wheat, my sinus hurt for days.  Oats give me stomach aches, and corn is the quickest way to make me pointlessly angry....for days.  I just walk around with my teeth gritted and snapping at everyone.  And if I do eat any corn, I fall into a sort of coma state about 1/2 an hour after wards.  Life feels like I'm just watching a TV show I'm not involved in.  Slack jawed and drooling nearly.  It can last into the next day.  If they ever stop making eggs and cans of tuna fish (which may happen in my life time...) I will probably starve to death Grin  I thank the gods for potatoes.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

« Reply #499 on: September 07, 2012 11:01:53 AM »

I take PGX when I want to loose faster then I am.  It's a water soluble fiber and it does all kinds of cool things for you.  I started to take it to help with my blood sugars (insulin dependent type 1 diabetic here) but it can also lower cholesterol.  It's expensive, but it does help..me at least.  Be warned though, the pills are HUGE!  I mean like the size of a chubby baby's thumb.  I was at Costco the other day and they were giving out samples and had a pretty good deal on them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Grilled Cheese Ice Cream Sandwiches
15-Minute Apricot Yogurt Parfaits
How to Make Nutella-Stuffed Cronut Holes
Get Your DQ Blizzard Fix Noon or Night With This Home Hack
Patriotic 4th of July Sugar Cookies Designs
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...