A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 51141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: March 10, 2012 01:19:08 PM »

Have you been using nutritional yeast? It's nice for some "cheesy" flavor and I think pretty good for you. That Mmmm Sauce I posted a while back uses it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
elliot_anne
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2012 12:58:24 PM »

Yes, we've tried nutritional yeast, Daiya brand "mozzarella cheese," some soy hot dogs, fake butter, and different kinds of "burgers." Unfortunately, we've come to the conclusion that this just isn't working for us. We both feel so tired and sore, and the only thing that's changed is our diet. We're going to finish the month out with vegetarian dieting instead (which is what I was doing before, but it will still be hard for Sean to turn down sausage and steak!). We discussed it at great length over the weekend, and decided that we couldn't compromise our health for the pride of finishing out the month... That being said, Sean thinks he'll probably stay vegetarian even after the month is up, and perhaps just allow himself a "cheat" meal every couple weeks to a month or so to satisfy that craving (though I think after a month or two, he'll stop craving it so much, and it just won't taste the same if he DOES eat meat).

Sorry if we disappointed anyone (I know we're a little disappointed in ourselves), and props to anyone who can keep up a healthy vegan diet and their mental and physical health!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2012 01:04:42 PM »

I don't think it should be disappointing to anyone. You tried something new, so you should be applauded! Also, you're smart enough to realize that it isn't working for you and are going to try something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2012 02:10:04 PM »

If someone is disappointed in you and your man deciding that is not the right diet for you, that is their trouble not yours! Firstly, those who judge are general not trying to help. Second, diet is a completely personal thing.  I have been struggling with what is the right thing for me to eat for a long time. Still not sure I have it right LOL.  I do think part of my trouble being a veg in the first place is I am very allergic to soy....but didn't know it.  It turns out, my most comfortable diet is also related to my blood type. All I'm trying to say, is that everyone is different. No one has the right to decide what anyone is going to eat. We all have to find that for our selves. Food is related to race, environment, sensitivities, economics, peer pressure, and personal beliefs. No one has the same requirements as another.

Sorry...I guess i have strong feelings about this topic Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012 02:10:48 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2012 02:13:51 PM »

I think I forgot to share with you guys, but I signed up for a CSA/Farm Share really close to my house! I'm so excited! We did a CSA a few years ago and it was huge...we split a share with a friend, and then another friend bought 1/3 of our half share and the two of us still couldn't eat it all! This one is much more affordable and there is a program where I am able to pay them weekly rather than all up front like most CSA's I've looked into. Also, Bob's Red Mill (local company) donates to this program, so every week besides our veggies we will get a bag of grains or beans from Bob's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2012 02:21:27 PM »

Green veggie recipes for St. Patty's Day (or any day!)

http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Green-Recipes-St-Patricks-Day-22165961
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: March 12, 2012 03:37:12 PM »

Elliot-anne, you have to feel good about your diet whatever it is, it's not supposed to be a drag! Food is like sex, if you're not enjoying it Change Something until you do! LOL.  Stress, guilt and pressure don't go well with either of those things either Wink Cheesy.

I don't eat much soy, hardly ever any, even when totally vegan. And I don't eat any of that fake food either, burgers and butter etc. I would never be able to keep up a diet that had all that processed junk in it, it would throw my right back to the land of IBS. And it's expensive! It's taken years but we've got it down to mostly whole foods most of the time, there's very little other stuff we regularly include. I feel pretty good and it's gotten easier over time. Still not perfect but pretty amazing.
Except for today, today was a HORRIBLE day. First day of our March break from school + daylight saving + late night crafting = ridiculous day of bad eating. Ugh.

MareMare, a friend is running an organic CSA this year. It's a lot of money to put out all at once but I'd like a weekly box of produce and a huge batch of tomatoes at the end of the season for canning. I can get a winter share of tubers etc too. I am Loving that so much! There's another place that delivers all sort of things beyond produce as well, I'm really thinking of reviewing our budget to move stuff around so we can buy from them. Just have to get meal planning in gear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
elliot_anne
« Reply #427 on: March 23, 2012 12:23:18 PM »

-pokes head in and looks around- Helllllllooooooo? Anybody home?

Sorry, it looks like it's been eerily quiet around here. I'm hoping it's because you've all been as busy as I have! (But I also hope you've still found time to eat healthy!)

So I thought I'd share my breakfast with you this morning (well, it's lunch time now, but whatever).

I present to you: Toast with Ricotta and Banana

2 pieces of Whole Wheat Toast with Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese, and about 2/3 of a Banana (the rest of the banana went to the guinea pigs, who were happy to oblige finishing it off for me!)

In other news, we finally finished up the rest of the all-purpose white flour and have switched over to whole wheat flour. We bought whole wheat spaghetti in preparation to switch over (have about 1 more meal's worth of the normal spaghetti noodles). We've been looking at sugar alternatives for when the time comes (still have a lot of sugar. Need to make some baked goods for a bake/yard sale tomorrow anyway, so some will get used up). Also, we're hoping to harvest our first romaine lettuce from the garden this week for salad! Yay!

How have you all been doing with eating healthy? Any meals you wanna share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #428 on: March 23, 2012 01:46:05 PM »

I'm here and drooling over your creation!  I love bananas!

I am prepping my garden beds...got lettuce planted and growing already and this year, I am growing Swiss Chard and Kale...I am going to try Yukon gold potatoes again (they rotted last year because of record rain!)...I love this time of year and summer because of homegrown healthy foods we grow on our own...

Light, spring recipes...I will write them down when we start making things...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2012 07:20:40 PM »

I am COMPLETELY off the wagon, but hoping to hop back on!

I have allowed stress and too many tasks to override my healthy intentions.

I have also come to the conclusion that I am a carb addict and I don't crave a lot of veggies because they are not sweet. Bitters make me blanch....

Help me!  Tongue

I am considering doing a juice detox/fast after watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. In some ways, eliminating all food for a few days would be simpler than choosing which foods because I am failing. 

My job is a toxic wasteland of candy bars, chips and pop....all for free and as much as I want.  Tongue Tongue

I find myself automatically eating candy bars without thinking or caring. I tell myself that my job is stressful and I NEED the calories to get through it. This is bull-but I still use that reason.

I am eating out a LOT. I feel crappy about it but I also live by myself and I have a hard time motivating myself to cook. I do great cooking/making meals and then the seductive takeout burger or flyer stares at me, demanding I forget my salad and insisting I eat it instead.

What is wrong with me? I feel like a slave to food. I have tracked my calories in the past but my work computer won't interface with fitday.com so I can't do it at work. I have tried journaling my calories at work but it's not the same as a tally.
I'm tired of feeling so crappy about the way i eat and the way I feel. I want to be as healthy as everyone thinks I am.

Any thoughts? I just feel mired and stuck.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Rainbow in Tie Dye
How to Tie Dye a Blue Garment
How to Create Tie Dye Effects on Sweatshirts
How to Tie Dye Patterns
How to Dip Dye a Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...