A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Why party hats?  Today, we officially welcome our newest Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss to the team!  If you see them on the boards, congratulate them!
Total Members: 305,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 51
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 77062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: March 09, 2012 06:20:37 PM »

Mmm, that sounds like breakfast tomorrow! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
elliot_anne
« Reply #411 on: March 09, 2012 11:00:52 PM »

So, I kinda fell off the face of the planet (but not the bandwagon!) the last week or two. Sorry guys.

My fiance and I are "going vegan" for a month. He's doing it mostly to prove he can, I'm doing it to see if it is a sustainable choice for me for the future (2.5 months vegetarian now). Yesterday marks the start of week 2, and it is HARD. I already think this isn't going to work in the long run, but I keep telling myself that maybe I just don't have enough GOOD vegan recipes yet. We keep trying to "remake" old tried-and-true recipes and MAKE them vegan, and it just isn't working (btw, vegan cheese is AWFUL). We need to start trying out actual vegan recipes, or we're never going to make it through this...

Maremare, you asked about pre-planning and pre-logging foods. Since we're doing our vegan "challenge," I haven't been logging my food and counting calories. However, the night before we go grocery shopping, we plan all of our meals for the week. Breakfast is easy (I eat puffed rice cereal, and he eats oatmeal). Lunch is pretty consistent (baked quinoa patties or sandwich for lunch, with several healthy snacks like apples, carrots, granola, and roasted nuts). Dinner is where we get to be a little creative. There's almost always a pasta night of some kind, and usually a salad. And we also try out at least one new recipe a week (sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes we find it needs work...).

Last week our new recipe was a cherry tomato couscous. Neither of us had tried couscous before, but both of us liked it a LOT. We weren't crazy about the cherry tomatoes and cucumber in it (though it did give it a refreshing flavor. Perfect for a hot summer day!), but even having another whole grain that we really like and can experiment with is good.

This week we will be trying TWO new recipes. Brown rice + barley (probably won't have a problem with that one. It's a "safe" recipe), and a recipe for black eyed pea fritters. That one will be the real experiment. Hopefully it goes well.

As for HOW I keep track of all these meals, I have 2 copies of the dinner schedule. One is on a whiteboard in our room (white boards are perfect for those trying to go 'no waste'), and the other is on a notepad in a cabinet in the kitchen (so I don't have to go upstairs to remember what's for dinner). The notepad also has a column on the side so I can jot down NEXT week's grocery list as we run out of stuff. Being more organized has really been helping in the kitchen, and in the wallet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2012 07:52:22 AM »

Elliot-anne, if there are specific ingredients you're finding it hard to do without I'll bet some of us can help you figure out a substitute. I did raw vegan for a good long while without feeling like I was missing much Wink.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2012 01:19:08 PM »

Have you been using nutritional yeast? It's nice for some "cheesy" flavor and I think pretty good for you. That Mmmm Sauce I posted a while back uses it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inventory Soap Sale, $5 Ship!

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
elliot_anne
« Reply #414 on: March 12, 2012 12:58:24 PM »

Yes, we've tried nutritional yeast, Daiya brand "mozzarella cheese," some soy hot dogs, fake butter, and different kinds of "burgers." Unfortunately, we've come to the conclusion that this just isn't working for us. We both feel so tired and sore, and the only thing that's changed is our diet. We're going to finish the month out with vegetarian dieting instead (which is what I was doing before, but it will still be hard for Sean to turn down sausage and steak!). We discussed it at great length over the weekend, and decided that we couldn't compromise our health for the pride of finishing out the month... That being said, Sean thinks he'll probably stay vegetarian even after the month is up, and perhaps just allow himself a "cheat" meal every couple weeks to a month or so to satisfy that craving (though I think after a month or two, he'll stop craving it so much, and it just won't taste the same if he DOES eat meat).

Sorry if we disappointed anyone (I know we're a little disappointed in ourselves), and props to anyone who can keep up a healthy vegan diet and their mental and physical health!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: March 12, 2012 01:04:42 PM »

I don't think it should be disappointing to anyone. You tried something new, so you should be applauded! Also, you're smart enough to realize that it isn't working for you and are going to try something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #416 on: March 12, 2012 02:10:04 PM »

If someone is disappointed in you and your man deciding that is not the right diet for you, that is their trouble not yours! Firstly, those who judge are general not trying to help. Second, diet is a completely personal thing.  I have been struggling with what is the right thing for me to eat for a long time. Still not sure I have it right LOL.  I do think part of my trouble being a veg in the first place is I am very allergic to soy....but didn't know it.  It turns out, my most comfortable diet is also related to my blood type. All I'm trying to say, is that everyone is different. No one has the right to decide what anyone is going to eat. We all have to find that for our selves. Food is related to race, environment, sensitivities, economics, peer pressure, and personal beliefs. No one has the same requirements as another.

Sorry...I guess i have strong feelings about this topic Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012 02:10:48 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time to VOTE in the Dollar Store Challenge!! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=445800.0
Here's mine Grin
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=447750.0

"People who have uncovered lifes twisted hoax find refuge in the irreverent, twisted and weird."

RuPaul in discussion
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: March 12, 2012 02:13:51 PM »

I think I forgot to share with you guys, but I signed up for a CSA/Farm Share really close to my house! I'm so excited! We did a CSA a few years ago and it was huge...we split a share with a friend, and then another friend bought 1/3 of our half share and the two of us still couldn't eat it all! This one is much more affordable and there is a program where I am able to pay them weekly rather than all up front like most CSA's I've looked into. Also, Bob's Red Mill (local company) donates to this program, so every week besides our veggies we will get a bag of grains or beans from Bob's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2012 02:21:27 PM »

Green veggie recipes for St. Patty's Day (or any day!)

http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Green-Recipes-St-Patricks-Day-22165961
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2012 03:37:12 PM »

Elliot-anne, you have to feel good about your diet whatever it is, it's not supposed to be a drag! Food is like sex, if you're not enjoying it Change Something until you do! LOL.  Stress, guilt and pressure don't go well with either of those things either Wink Cheesy.

I don't eat much soy, hardly ever any, even when totally vegan. And I don't eat any of that fake food either, burgers and butter etc. I would never be able to keep up a diet that had all that processed junk in it, it would throw my right back to the land of IBS. And it's expensive! It's taken years but we've got it down to mostly whole foods most of the time, there's very little other stuff we regularly include. I feel pretty good and it's gotten easier over time. Still not perfect but pretty amazing.
Except for today, today was a HORRIBLE day. First day of our March break from school + daylight saving + late night crafting = ridiculous day of bad eating. Ugh.

MareMare, a friend is running an organic CSA this year. It's a lot of money to put out all at once but I'd like a weekly box of produce and a huge batch of tomatoes at the end of the season for canning. I can get a winter share of tubers etc too. I am Loving that so much! There's another place that delivers all sort of things beyond produce as well, I'm really thinking of reviewing our budget to move stuff around so we can buy from them. Just have to get meal planning in gear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 51 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Meet Illustrator and Author Kadir Nelson
Meet Author Shirley Corriher
Benson Bobrick Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
John Carter Cash Wishes He Had This Talent
Swoon Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...