A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 52286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2012 02:55:09 PM »

Ooh, thanks guys!  I knew I could count on you for some ideas!  CLM, I'm going to use that baked pita on a salad idea at home--it sounds like a great alternative to croutons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #401 on: March 06, 2012 04:20:35 AM »

saw a really neat trick online somwhere, when you use an apple slicer to core and slice an apple, hold the whole thing together with a rubber band until you are ready to eat, so it doesn't brown

maremare..how do you cook your steel cut oats? I agree with you on the texture of rolled oats, I find them such hardship to eat

EDIT found this site on line with some cooking instructions and some yummy recipies for steel cut oats
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/20/make-ahead-steel-cut-oatmeal-4-new-oatmeal-recipes/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012 04:28:09 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: March 06, 2012 05:53:58 AM »

I used to cook them in the crockpot but now I just do on the stove. Boil water, add oats, simmer for 10 minutes and add whatever fruit, and then simmer for another 20 minutes or so. I just keep it in the fridge, one batch of oats (1 cup oats and 4 cups water) is 5-7 servings so I can eat on it all week.

Thanks, I'll check that out!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012 05:57:04 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: March 06, 2012 06:56:17 AM »

It makes a neat oatmeal pancake too, add some egg and fry them up.

That's a good trick with the apple and rubber band, I've been using saran but I hate buying that stuff.

Aislynn, you can flavour the pita before you bake it too. Brush with oil and sprinkle on herbs and spices. See if you can find sumac spice in a middle eastern store, it's traditionally used for fatoosh and is love. Lemony, dark red. I love that stuff.

Made soup last night, lentils, barley and veggies. When I saute onions and celery for soup I don't use any oil, just a splash of water and sprinkle of salt. It works terrific. If I want fat in the soup I can add it to the bowls right before eating. That way I'm not ruining that cold pressed extra virgin olive oil by cooking it, lol.

Gave in and had coffee this morning, bought muffins for the kid's breakfast too, sigh. Woke up too late for much else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2012 03:09:43 PM »

REDEMPTION!

Used up the left over oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins and chopped apple I made for breakfast the other day. I mixed it up with some flour and egg and fried it as pancakes, my kids are in HEAVEN! What a terrific quick and easy healthy dinner. I just have to get some veggies into them later on. Cukes, celery, carrots and cherry tomatoes with hummus as a snack should do the trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2012 05:46:22 PM »

I love having breakfast for dinner, CLM!

In fact, we had egg white sandwiches with goat cheese and meatless sausage for dinner tonight.

Thanks for the salad in a jar reminder. I really need to do that!

I unintentionally haven't had any meat for over 2 weeks. I've cooked it for Mr Lime but I've just had a really strong aversion to it lately. Maybe I'm becoming a vegetarian without even realizing it Smiley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Miss Whitney
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2012 10:55:50 PM »

So, I'm just going to food vent. I got really frustrated with my diet and progress yesterday. I had been planning to go out to my favorite restaurant with some friends/acquaintances for at least 4 days, so I ate pretty well leading up to it so I could splurge a bit when we went. Now, I eat really healthfully - more so than most of the people I know - mostly fruits and veggies, then whole grains, non-animal proteins, no sodas or fast food or highly processed junk food.

So, I go out to dinner with these people, and no one orders anything. Nothing but drinks. They are all on the "paleo" diet, and proceeded to talk about how much better their way of eating is than any other one, and how there was nothing on the menu healthful enough for them to eat. Imagine how I felt, having looked forward to this meal for days, and then being too ashamed by my (really good) eating habits to even order anything. It made me feel really bad and deflated, and totally unmotivated to keep eating healthfully. Ugh, it was so frustrating. I know the paleo diet is not for me, as I have some major ethical issues with it, but now I need to find another kick-in-the-butt to get motivated again.

How do you bounce back when you have a frustrating diet day?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: March 06, 2012 11:00:00 PM »

I'm sorry Miss Whitney. How disappointing!

I know some people doing paleo and there are some things about it that just bug me. If it works for them, that's cool, but let's just call it low carb and not pretend it's something new, ok? Also, I don't really think the cave men were eating a lot of coconut oil. Now that I think of it, it's very possible that I'm just bugged by a certain person I know who's doing it lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Miss Whitney
« Reply #408 on: March 06, 2012 11:17:42 PM »

My main concern with paleo is that the main source of protein is animal proteins, no high protein grains like quinoa, or beans, or tofu. Not only are there some ethical questions regarding the consumption of that much animal product, but it doesn't really sound representative of a cave man diet to me. Humans are at the top of the food chain because we are omnivores, not carnivores. But perhaps I don't know enough about the diet to speak to it properly.

Anyways, trying to find the motivation to get back on the wagon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 06, 2012 11:18:32 PM »

I'd hop over to the dessert board, grab a recipe and treat yourself!  You've done great.  Don't let others or others' diets deflate your motivation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Street Style: Zoe Saldana and Kardashians at LAX
Take the Mystery Out of Lingerie Shopping
4 Foolproof Ways to Dress Up for Any Holiday Party
7 Ways to Wear One Party Dress All Season Long
Miss Universe Preliminary Evening Gown Recap
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...