A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 308,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 81769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2012 04:38:32 PM »

Aww, CLM!  Sorry you had such a rough time.  Love that you turned it all around, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Miss Whitney
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2012 08:35:24 AM »

I've been doing OK with my eating - but just OK! I really need to ramp up my efforts a bit. On Saturday, I ate nothing but carbs- brown rice for breakfast, vegan mac and cheese for lunch, crackers and jam for a snack. I finally got some veg in for dinner, but yikes! Yesterday I did OK too - I made a smoothie for breakfast, and then had leftover homemade enchiladas* for lunch, and kale with beans and sausage for dinner. But then I ate some cheese crackers and circus cookies too, meh.

Today I had brown rice for breakfast, and I'm going to make a salad for lunch, but I don't have any protein for it so I'm worried I might get snacky. I'm going for dinner to one of my favorite places tonight, and I can order pretty healthy foods there, but then the issue becomes portion control. I have to make sure I'm not going in too hungry, gotta plan ahead.

Enchiladas: I LOVE Mexican food! I made super yummy and semi-healthy enchiladas with homemade corn tortillas, black beans, butternut squash, wilted greens, green chile sauce, and about half the cheese I would normally use. The sauce was a little dry, and without all the cheese there wasn't much moisture in the pan, so I just poured half a cup of stock over the top to bake it, which saved it! It could have taken a whole cup though.

Let's hope I can stay on track this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2012 01:49:35 PM »

Mmmm, enchiladas...

So I need some advice, if anyone's willing to offer any.  I'm going to be driving to and from Florida next week, for my niece's wedding.  It's approximately an 11 hour drive.  My goal is to not eat any fast food or "truck stop" food (which is what I usually live on, on drives like this).  I'm planning on bringing fruits, veggies, and string cheese, but I need something more substantial, I'm thinking...most of my favorite things need to be heated.  Maybe some chicken wraps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2012 02:28:19 PM »

Hummus and crackers? Definitely chicken or turkey or veggie wraps. Sandwiches with whole grain bread? Fiber One granola bars are really tasty and not bad nutritionally. Um, trying to think of the other things the boyfriend and I take in the cooler when we go to play boardgames all day. Beef or turkey jerky? Little packs of peanut butter you could put on bread or apples/celery. If you do want to take something that needs to be heated, most mini marts and truck stops will have a microwave. Like, 7/11 has a microwave. No reason you couldn't take a salad to eat when you take a break from driving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2012 02:42:17 PM »

How about salad in a jar?  They are YUMMY, fun and filling.
Homemade granola (Crockpot granola, perhaps!)
Berries, nuts, homemade fruit strips, grapes, crackers
A loaf of fresh zucchini bread
Kale chips
Muffins

In the summer, we spend most of the weekend on the road, in parks and on pontoons boats, so we pretty much eat these sorts of things all weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2012 02:55:09 PM »

Ooh, thanks guys!  I knew I could count on you for some ideas!  CLM, I'm going to use that baked pita on a salad idea at home--it sounds like a great alternative to croutons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2012 04:20:35 AM »

saw a really neat trick online somwhere, when you use an apple slicer to core and slice an apple, hold the whole thing together with a rubber band until you are ready to eat, so it doesn't brown

maremare..how do you cook your steel cut oats? I agree with you on the texture of rolled oats, I find them such hardship to eat

EDIT found this site on line with some cooking instructions and some yummy recipies for steel cut oats
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/20/make-ahead-steel-cut-oatmeal-4-new-oatmeal-recipes/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012 04:28:09 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desperately in search of popcorn flavourings-they don't sell them here Sad I have a new air popper and am stuck with boring flavours.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2012 05:53:58 AM »

I used to cook them in the crockpot but now I just do on the stove. Boil water, add oats, simmer for 10 minutes and add whatever fruit, and then simmer for another 20 minutes or so. I just keep it in the fridge, one batch of oats (1 cup oats and 4 cups water) is 5-7 servings so I can eat on it all week.

Thanks, I'll check that out!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012 05:57:04 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2012 05:46:22 PM »

I love having breakfast for dinner, CLM!

In fact, we had egg white sandwiches with goat cheese and meatless sausage for dinner tonight.

Thanks for the salad in a jar reminder. I really need to do that!

I unintentionally haven't had any meat for over 2 weeks. I've cooked it for Mr Lime but I've just had a really strong aversion to it lately. Maybe I'm becoming a vegetarian without even realizing it Smiley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Whitney
« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2012 10:55:50 PM »

So, I'm just going to food vent. I got really frustrated with my diet and progress yesterday. I had been planning to go out to my favorite restaurant with some friends/acquaintances for at least 4 days, so I ate pretty well leading up to it so I could splurge a bit when we went. Now, I eat really healthfully - more so than most of the people I know - mostly fruits and veggies, then whole grains, non-animal proteins, no sodas or fast food or highly processed junk food.

So, I go out to dinner with these people, and no one orders anything. Nothing but drinks. They are all on the "paleo" diet, and proceeded to talk about how much better their way of eating is than any other one, and how there was nothing on the menu healthful enough for them to eat. Imagine how I felt, having looked forward to this meal for days, and then being too ashamed by my (really good) eating habits to even order anything. It made me feel really bad and deflated, and totally unmotivated to keep eating healthfully. Ugh, it was so frustrating. I know the paleo diet is not for me, as I have some major ethical issues with it, but now I need to find another kick-in-the-butt to get motivated again.

How do you bounce back when you have a frustrating diet day?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...