A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,686
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 55093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: February 18, 2012 11:45:25 AM »

I thought my nephews would love the frozen banana ice cream because they love bananas and love ice cream...but they wouldn't have anything to do with it! Lil weirdos. There is actually machine out now to blend your frozen fruit--it's called Yonanas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Miss Whitney
« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2012 05:15:07 PM »

This week I've been cleaning out the fridge and freezer - I didn't even have to go shopping! The final "bottom of the barrel" meal is tonight, and I will be making blackened tofu with a remoulade of sorts (mustard, ketchup, spices, relish, garlic, onions) over top, sauteed chard, and cucumber salad, which is the easiest thing ever.

Cut a cucumber into thin slices, put in bowl and drizzle with a mild, clear vinegar (I used rice vinegar, but a champagne or other mild white wine vinegar would work too). Season with salt and pepper, let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Too easy. Add more flavor with fresh herbs (rosemary is nice, but you can seriously use just about anything). If it is to vinegary, just add a sprinkle of sugar.  A great palate cleanser!

Also, I had a weird variety of citrus rolling around (2 limes, 2 blood oranges, 1 regular orange, 2 meyer lemons), so I juiced them all together and froze the juice into ice cube trays - just drop a cube or two in sparkling water or club soda for a non-sugary, non-alcoholic beverage. (Would also be good with Vodka for a non-sugary-but-still-fruity cocktail.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #342 on: February 20, 2012 03:44:13 AM »

Thanks for the tortilla advice guys, sounds like I need to practice. I have never had a tamale, anyone got a good starter recipe?

I am back on the healthy eating wagon after an indulgence in chip butties yesterday (ie thick cut french fries in a sandwich, tomato ketchup and thick, buttered white bread...with a bucket of hot tea....so yummy...so bad!)

to compensate, I am going to share how we make pancakes in Ireland as it is pancake tuesday tomorrow. I don't measure anything, We make thinner, less puffy pancakes here, so that they can be sprinkled with fresh lemon juice and sugar..although in this house we have totally embraced them US style with bacon and maple syrup.

One egg per person, a small handful of plain flour per person ( you can make this healthier and use spelt, or half and half wholemeal flour) about 1/2 tsp baking powder and enough milk to make a thinnish batter, if you want thick pancakes rather than crepes, just increase the amount of flour. This recipe is very forgiving, it is all about texture. To make it healthier I add a good handful of seeds to the batter, make it a little thicker and eat them straight from the pan. I love them spread with nutella and fresh banana chopped on top, ie cook the pancake on one side, turn over, then spread with nutella in the pan, add banana and fold in half

enjoy. I like pancakes because any leftovers can be reheated in a pan or in the microwave in seconds..(there is a left over one from yesterday calling me now)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #343 on: February 20, 2012 03:47:03 AM »

And a healthy low cal, low fat sorbet-type thing.

Take about 200g fresh strawberries (about 7-8 oz) add approx 1/4 teaspoon of stevia, or other (healthy!) sweetener. About a cup of water and a little lime or lemon juice, (optional) put in a blender or processer-i use a stick blender- and zuzz until smooth, into a container and freeze until solid.

To eat, you kinda need to chop it into shards so it has a granita texture, it is delicious, fat free, very healthy and doesn't feel like you are depriving yourself at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2012 08:04:42 AM »

Sounds good edel! I experimented with an oat flour crepe off of a blog I follow and it turned out pretty good. 1 egg, 1/2 cup oat flour (just blend old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder until powder) and 1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever milk). Blend in blender and then cook in medium sized saucepan over medium heat. As long as you butter the pan and keep them pretty thin they're yummy! The thicker ones weren't as good, the texture was a bit odd.

Also, someone from the WW yahoo group I was in helped me find the recipe I was thinking of. The recipe was for arepas, and I think if made with masa flour, it would come out like corncakes, but since we made them with coarse cornmeal they were different. I'll probably just have to make some and take a pic to show you what I mean. But yeah, basically thick corn tortillas made with cornmeal instead of masa.

Arepas (Tortillas)

Servings:

1 person

1/4 cup white corn meal (I use yellow)

1/4 cup boiling water

1 tbsp olive oil

Salt to taste

Bring water to a boil and add it to the corn meal, stirring thoroughly

Add the oil and salt to taste. Wet hands and form into several little balls, flat tortillas and roast over a low charcoal fire; on a wire rack over the burner of the stove; or hot grill on a stove

Serve hot with I Cant Believe Its Not Butter or fat free cheddar. Top it with tuna salad, chicken, ham and cheese, sauted tomatoes and onions, beef.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Whitney
« Reply #345 on: February 20, 2012 09:17:23 AM »

Tortillas are super easy to make if you have a tortilla press. I bought one at Target after trying to make them by hand, which resulted in masa dough all over the kitchen (ceiling and everything), and a lot of frustration. Now I never, ever buy tortillas!

Those arepas look delicious! I'm totally trying those one of these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: February 20, 2012 09:28:35 AM »

I have to say that my arepas never formed any kind of dough, I just poured them into a pan and when the water cooked off and they crisped up it was delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2012 09:50:19 AM »

My plan this weekend was to work on a mashed turnip recipe...but it rained so bad I didn't make it to the farmer's market.  So I made twice baked potato bites instead.  Basically, you bake two potatoes, (I peeled mine afterward, I'm thinking that's not required, though) and then mix them thoroughly with three tablespoons fat free sour cream (I imagine plain yogurt would work, too), one egg, one tablespoon flour, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, and either green onions chopped or chives (I used dried chives).  Then, the recipe has you fill mini muffin cups with 1 tbsp of the mix, but I don't have a mini muffin pan, so I just scooped it out using my cookie scoop, onto a piece of parchment.  Then bake at 350' for 25 minutes.  Perfect little handheld potato-y bites.  I made about 20 with one recipe--I was generous with the scoop--and figured about 32 calories for each one, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.

Here's where I found them:  http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/twice-baked-potato-bites.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2012 10:18:53 AM »

Anybody ever make gnocchi? A chefy friend subbed sweet potato for white potato and whole wheat flour for white for a healthier low glycemic version. It's dead easy too, just flour, mashed potato, egg yolk and a bit of salt. The kids liked it, I was thinking about adding some fresh herbs to get a little more green into them.
I make a pasta sauce that's mostly veggies too, I puree them raw in the blender or food processor and add them to the sauce at the end so they're barely cooked. Works for pizza sauce and soup too. Less cooked = more nutrition and the pureeing means the texture isn't too crunchy. I can get a LOT of parsley in those kids without them even noticing, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2012 03:32:48 PM »

oh a tip for mashed turnip, salt the water that you boil them in, as you will use less salt that way. Then mash with butter and natural yoghurt and freshly ground black pepper. The yoghurt makes them lovely and creamy and allows you to reduce the amount of butter needed. My daughter adores this and we often use it to replace the mashed potato on top of a shepards pie. (more nutrients)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Cat Mask
How to Make Halloween Favor Bags
How to Make Color Prints with Potatoes
Fish-Themed Party Activity with Martha Stewart
How to Make a Denim Holster
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...