A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 65035 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2012 04:10:03 AM »

Tried a new food this week; kumquats. I am proud of myself for trying it but they were not really my thing.

Next to make this week; kale chips. I'm thinking of using dry ranch powder as a seasoning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2012 10:02:26 AM »

Yes, Mare!! I love roasted cauliflower! I just ate some last night Smiley.

This roasted cauliflower soup is delicious...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-soup/detail.aspx

I like to top it with green onions and low fat cheese. It kind of tastes like baked potato soup.

Ooooh yum that looks delicious!!!  Will have to make that for lunch one day next week Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2012 03:38:57 PM »

So Sean is off work early today, so we made lunch together. This is what we came up with. I call it Cali Style Quinoa. So yummy, and filling. Also, lots of protein for vegetarians like me!

You can find the recipe on my blog.

*EDIT* Posted the picture and recipe about 5 posts down.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 12:17:39 PM by elliot_anne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2012 10:04:46 PM »

Ooh, that looks delicious!  I'm not a huge avocado fan, but I bet it would be great with corn and fresh tomatoes!  I need to find a local source for quinoa.  The grocery stores haven't caught onto it, yet.  I'm going to try Fresh Market.  That's the closest we get to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and it's not really the same at all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
elliot_anne
« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2012 11:41:50 PM »

I've heard Costco carries it, if you have one of those?? I wouldn't know from personal experience, because I don't have a Costco card, and can only go when I borrow my mom's (cuz I look just like her >.>) but yea. Might be worth a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2012 05:36:23 AM »

Roasted cauliflower. I was looking at Jamie olivers magazine in the shop yesterday, he washes and slices horizontally into inch slices, a whole head of cauil. Puts it on an oiled baking tray and then weights it down with another heavy baking tray and roasts for about 15 mins (I think!) then adds some cumin and coriander and a green olive pastes. Looked good! I think for speed, if you cooked ground cumin and coriander (and garlic..the world is always a better place with garlic) in a little oil and tossed it over the cauli..it would be wonderful!

so my new favourite thing is chana dal..bought in asian food stores, it is basically chickpeas hulled and split, looks like yellow lentils. Apparently very low GI, I soaked overnight and simmered until tender.

I have made another great salad (such modesty!) , mix the cooked chana dal with some finely julienned raw carrot, some citrus juice, I used a little orange and lemon.
Some dried fruit, (i used rasins, sultanas and dried cranberries)
Some spices. A moroccon spice blend is good. I had some ras-el-hanout, some info on spices here http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/moroccanfood101/a/Essential_Spice.htm but basically it would work with things like cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, etc..(whatever you have and whatever you like)
 toss in a little oil, (but it is not necessary, ditto a little sugar or perhaps some sweet chillie sauce)
 some garlic, fresh ginger, salt pepper, fresh cilantro if you have it...and enjoy..it is yum!..and keeps in the fridge for a few days so you can dip into it.
EDIT; add salted peanuts, they are fab and you get the sweet salty thing with the dried friut and the nuts.

today I added some walnuts as I love putting nuts and seeds into things, makes you feel fuller for a lot longer. This will be in my lunchbox at work for the week.

Off now to go and have a first attempt at falafels, pita, salad and tahini sauce, although I might make tatziki too.

EDIT: falafels...so fast, and yummy, I used this recipe. http://mideastfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/bakedfalafel.htm in a pitta, with salad, tatziki and tahini sauce....*NOMNOMNOMNOM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 08:12:06 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always keen on personal swaps ..PM me.

http://hippydeep.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/edelc/

New student in the Harry Potter craftalong
Team randomizer in Nerd games
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2012 06:02:57 AM »

Had some veggies with that cheeze sauce, OMG delicious! String beans, cauliflower and broccoli. The whole dish was insanely high in non-dairy calcium, iron, zinc, fiber, omegas and other healthy fats. Even the kids thought it was good.

ETA Just saw this instructable for a funny "diet" belt for those of you who are working off pounds. Kinda cute inspiration...
http://www.instructables.com/id/diet-belt/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 10:09:53 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2012 12:10:24 PM »

So Sean is off work early today, so we made lunch together. This is what we came up with. I call it Cali Style Quinoa. So yummy, and filling. Also, lots of protein for vegetarians like me!

You can find the recipe on my blog.

Could you copy the recipe into this thread? Pretty please? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/19

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
elliot_anne
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2012 12:11:56 PM »

Haha yea, I was just working on it. They took my picture away cuz it had a link to my blog. Oops. I'll edit this post to include it in a minute.

*EDIT*
Sean got off work early today, which is weird on a Saturday. It left us rummaging around the kitchen looking for lunch. The fridge and pantry are starting to look pretty bare because I go shopping on Tuesdays, and most of our dinners this week were leftovers from last week.

Last night I had pulled out the leftover cooked quinoa from the freezer, and put it in the fridge to defrost. I had thought to make some more yummy quinoa patties with it, but today I had another idea. Totally on the spot, pulling things out of the fridge and cabinet, and handing them to Sean to mix with the quinoa, this is what we came up with (Please forgive the Christmas bowl they are one of two sets of dishes we use in the house, and both are necessary year-round (6 college-age people there are never enough clean dishes)).

Cali Style Quinoa (makes 1 bowl)

Ingredients:

Quinoa (pre-cooked, add as much as you want)

1 Egg

Black Beans (pre-cooked, add as much as you want)

1/2 Avocado

Handful of Mozzarella Cheese

Salt, pepper, and soy sauce

Directions: Put the quinoa and egg in a frying pan, cook like you are making fried rice. Add the cooked black beans near the end (to warm them up). Add avocado at the same time if you want it warm, add it after if you want it cold. Put in a bowl and stir in the cheese. It should melt in and sort of stick everything together. Add salt, pepper, and soy sauce to taste.

There are lots of other things you could throw in, too. I just used what I happened to have on hand. Other things that sound yummy: mushrooms, spinach, onions, bell peppers, garlic (will definitely put garlic in next time!), tasty herbs, tomato, corn, etc. Youre really only limited by your imagination and whats in your kitchen.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 12:17:03 PM by elliot_anne - Reason: to include pic/recipe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: February 13, 2012 12:07:21 AM »

That looks great, thanks for posting! Cheesy

Health Prompt for week of Feb 12-18
Challenge: Try one new-to-you fruit or veggie this week OR, a new fruit or veggie recipe. And, ya know, share with the group Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012 12:07:43 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/19

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 2/9
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/4
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 7/9
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...