A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 50255 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2012 11:10:50 PM »

Wow! What  a fantastic list. I've got a sore throat and haven't been eating. (Don't remember the last time I had a sore throat.) At least DH is eating better. Poor guy. Has to eat what I put in front of him. I still can't seem to get used to drinking water. I still feel water logged when I do so I've reverted to making pitchers of tea again. I've got to get back on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2012 07:38:52 AM »

I hope you're feeling better soon, Jinjeet.

Mare, that is a spectacular list. Thank you for sharing it. How could you eve get salad-boredom with all of those ideas!!??

Eating BEFORE shopping is such a good tip. I definitely pick up more crap when I'm hungry.

Weekends have been hard for me lately. I've been eating well during the week but then I have a drink or two on the weekend and end up ordering a basket of sweet potato fries from the bar. I think we need to slow down our social calendar for a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Miss Whitney
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2012 09:51:28 AM »

That's a GREAT salad list!

I did really well with my goals this week - there is a reason I started small! BUT My work schedule was crazy and I ended up eating out for dinner almost every night, and actually gained 2 pounds this week! So sad! So, in addition to creating some exercise goals, I'm also going to add to my eating goals. So, my goals for next week are as such:

- Eat breakfast at home every day.
- Bring my lunch to work every day.
- Eat dinner at home at least 4 days a week.
- Don't weigh myself until next Sunday.
- Drink one bottle of water every day.
- Exercise goal: walk two miles a day with my dog.

Recipes - I'm going to try my hand at making a fritatta today! I have to pick up a little bit of regular milk because I've had bad luck with almond milk in them. I'm going to put broccoli, shallots, garlic, and a bit of parmesan!

Last week I made a salad with pinto beans, corn, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers, roasted poblano peppers, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime! The first day I just ate it as is, but then I dumped some on a bed of spinach and topped it with avocado dressing. Yum!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012 11:17:05 AM by Miss Whitney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2012 12:34:30 PM »

Great goals Miss Whitney! That bean salad sounds really good too! I used to make a black bean cold salad like that but I kinda forgot about it, thanks for reminding me. Smiley Do you roast the poblano peppers yourself or buy them canned or something?

Lime--I hear ya on the weekends thing! During the week I've been pretty good, my main thing right now is eating every 3 hours or so, it's really helping me not eat junk or eat huge portions. Last night my boyfriend and I went to a party so instead of dinner I had lots of cheese, red wine, and a bit of crackers and bread. I still stayed within my calories for the day, but just barely, and I didn't eat a nutritious dinner or as many fruits and veggies as I would have liked (the bf didn't tell me that we were going anywhere until too late or I would have taken a veggie tray or something).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2012 12:47:13 PM »

Mustgo soup for lunch and dinner (aka everything in the fridge Must Go, LOL).
Cabbage, onion, celery, sweet potato, cauliflower, potato, kidney beans, a bit of salt and some dried herbs and spices. I didn't use any oil.

Link to an ENORMOUS list of wrap fillings (raw vegan, incredibly tasty and super healthy)
http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?4,155835

And from the same site some salad ideas from a raw food gourmet class Wink

5 ingredient groups for creating salad dressings. Groups A, B, & C are the main ingredients. D & E are items added depending on mood or salad. Add water to most dressings to allow for the use of less oil and to thin out the nut butters and blend the seeds. Always add the acids (C) last because that will make the dressings thicker and creamier.

(A) Oils/Fats- Olive oil, Flax oil, Coconut oil, Nut butters, Tahini, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Pumpkins seeds, Pinenuts, Almonds, Cashews, Macadamia nuts, Avocado

(B ) Salts - Celtic Sea salt, Crystal salts, Nama Shoyu, Miso ,Sea vegetables

(C) Acids - Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit, Tomato, Sauerkraut, Apple Cider Vinegar

(D) Sweets - Dates, Figs, Dried Fruit, Honey, Orange, Berries, Papaya, Mangos

(E) Herbs & Spices - Garlic, Ginger, Onion, Chili, Peppers, Cayenne, Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Dill, Mint, Curry, Sun Dried tomatoes

These dressings are all made in a blender.
Here are some combinations that can be made but by all means make up your own and be sure to write down the amounts and ingredients as you make them.

Basic Tahini - Water, Tahini, Nama Shoyu, Lemon juice, Garlic (this was served on baby spinach and onion salad)

Spicy Thai - Olive oil, Almond butter, Nama shoyu, lime juice, honey, ginger, garlic and thai pepper (served on cabbage, bok choy, raisins, coconut and scallions).

Date dressing - Water, olive oil, miso, lemon juice, dates and garlic (served on a mixture of baby greens).

Creamy Italian - Water, macadamia nuts, celtic salt, apple cider vinegar, garlic, basil and oregano

Tropical Vinagrette - Flax oil, celtic salt, apple cider vinegar, mangos, papaya, mint and garlic

Sun Dried Dream - Cashews, celtic salt, grapefruit juice, apple cider vinegar and sun dried tomatoes

Ageless - Water, sesame seeds, miso, sauerkraut, garlic

Avo Dressing Avocado, celtic salt and lemon juice

Curry Cream - Tahini, celtic salt, orange juice, ginger and curry

Blend until creamy because they will stick to the greens better and you won't be left with that puddle of dressing in the bottom of the bowl when you are finished eating. If using nuts or seeds toss them in with the oil or water before adding any other ingredients to allow them to be blended with out any chunks in the dressing, you can also toss whole garlic cloves in with the oil or water and save yourself having to mince them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2012 12:49:27 PM »

Yum! Thanks for sharing that CLM, I love making my own dressings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2012 02:38:22 PM »

Healthy Prompt for Week of January 29-February 4:

Please share one healthy treat recipe you found and want to try, or one you already like. It could be a snack or a dessert, but something treat-ish. We deserve treats, just need to appreciate healthy ones! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2012 03:02:21 PM »

Healthy Prompt for Week of January 29-February 4:

Please share one healthy treat recipe you found and want to try, or one you already like. It could be a snack or a dessert, but something treat-ish. We deserve treats, just need to appreciate healthy ones! Smiley

Lol, you KNOW I've got plenty of these to share!  I ate 3 of my very healthy spiced apple muffins today (I did a lot of exercise though so I defo deserved them!) and adore them so will share the recipe with all tomorrow, as well as the fat-free tea brack which I'm going to make tomorrow :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2012 03:05:10 PM »

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

I haven't tried these out yet, because our avocados aren't ready to harvest yet this year, but I checked on them today, and they're growing. It sounds soooo good, and way better for you than using all mayonnaise and mustard. I would probably try to sub in more avo and take out the mayo altogether.

Avocado Deviled Eggs: Makes 12 servings.

Ingredients:

6 hard boiled eggs
1 medium avocado, diced small
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
Salt to taste

Directions:

Cut boiled eggs in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out yolks. Mash yolks with a fork. Stir in diced avocados, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste. Fill egg whites with yolk mixture and place on a serving plate. Sprinkle with cayenne or fresh, chopped parsley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2012 03:17:15 PM »

Raspberry mousse torte w chocolate fudge sauce (raw vegan). This recipe is completely healthy though high in natural oils and sugars. Eat on an otherwise frugal food day.

dates, chopped in food processor or by hand
almonds, crushed fairly fine but leave some chunks for texture as you like it
flax seeds, powdered
cashews, powdered
raspberries
maple syrup or agave or whatever you use for sweetener
cocoa powder
coconut oil/butter

use a spice mill to grind the nuts and flax right before you use them. you can crush the almonds in a food processor. if you do this step after you've chopped the dates in there is makes it easier to clean up for some reason.

i used a spring form pan, it's the easiest to get this torte out of. line it with a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper in the bottom.

CRUST
use roughly half and half dates and crushed almonds, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin layer (no more than 1/4". mix a small amount (TBSP or so) of flax powder with a bit of water to make a paste and add to dates and almonds. mix well with your hands and press into the bottom of the pan. set pan in the freezer while you prep the filling.

FILLING
i blended about 2 cups of raspberries to one cup of crushed cashews with a handful of flax powder mixed in and the liquid sweetner of your choice to taste. start the blender with just the berries and sweetner, then add the crushed nuts and seeds. keep blending until it's creamy looking and smooth, then pour into the pan, gently shaking and/or tapping the bottom of the pan on the counter to spread it out. set into the freezer for at least one hour.

TOPPING
i used about a 1/4 cup of maple syrup and half that amount of coconut oil.
gently heat the liquid sweetner and stir in as much cocoa powder as you like, the more you use the more intense the chocolatey flavour will be. stir until smooth then drizzle in some melted coconut oil and stir until blended well. pour over the mousse and set back into the freezer for a few hours.

OMG, try not to faint at the deliciousness when you eat it. no, really. Just don't get excited and take it out of the freezer before it's ready like I did, lol.

This is an incredible source for the most amazingly delicious raw vegan recipes. Raw and vegan generally mean very healthy and believe me when I tell you, this girl makes some tasty, tasty food!

http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/03/this-blogs-recipe-index.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012 03:18:42 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Embellished Crystal Collar for a Button-Up Blouse
Non-Boring Ways To Wear A LNA White T-Shirt
What Celebs Are Wearing To Award Show After Parties
Hottest Fur Fashion Trends
4 New Ways to Style Your Favorite Flannels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...