A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 310,010
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 88760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss Whitney
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2012 10:14:48 PM »

I'm kinda proud of myself. I've been wanting dessert for days and days, and keep just eating fruit instead. Today, I nearly went and got dessert but then decided to make some instead. I sauteed a sliced pear and made a quick little caramel sauce for it... so yummy! Is it the healthiest thing? No, but it's better than me going out and getting a 2500 calorie milkshake, which is what I REALLY wanted. Cheesy

Also, I've had breakfast at home every day this week, and have brought my lunch to work every day as well! And I haven't weighed myself yet this week - still waiting for Sunday. I'm a little afraid because I went out for drinks on Tuesday and Wednesday, so hopefully that doesn't mess everything all up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2012 01:48:01 AM »

I recently acquired Greek yogurt, the plain kind, and have used it in Mac and cheese, chili, baked potatoes, and of course, dessert.... honey and apples baked in the oven and thrown in.
I was too impatient to get fresh fruit besides the apples, or I would have made a smoothie ( ice cubes, yogurt and fruit, blended)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2012 08:20:32 AM »

craftylittlemonky - I must know more about this Perfect Pickler device!! I've tried to make my own pickles multiple times and they've just never turned out quite right. I LOVE kraut and never even thought of making it myself.

Nice job on curbing your dessert habbit, Miss Whitney!! That's a great victory.

World.of.hoard-craft - first of all, love your username Smiley. I always hear such great things about Greek yogurt but I haven't experimented with it much. I'm going to add some to my shopping list.

I'm curious about how others do their grocery shopping. I'm always tempted when we go through the aisles to pick up naughty things. Lately, we've been getting our groceries delivered from amazon and it's really helped us to be more thoughtful about what we're going to have in our cupboards. Anyone have tips for smart shopping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2012 08:30:42 AM »

I'm curious about how others do their grocery shopping. I'm always tempted when we go through the aisles to pick up naughty things. Lately, we've been getting our groceries delivered from amazon and it's really helped us to be more thoughtful about what we're going to have in our cupboards. Anyone have tips for smart shopping?

I try to plan out at least a few evening meals for the week before we go out food shopping, and of course always go with a list and say we're only getting stuff on the list (never works but good in concept).  I like shopping online these days mind as we don't have a 2nd car anymore, but I seem to pick up more naughties when I shop online, I guess cos I do that on my own, whereas when we go to the supermarket together he stops me picking up naughty stuff and I stop him picking up naughty stuff!!

That reminds me I was gonna put a piccie of my yummy healthy tea last night on here, will try and remember to put it on later when I can be bothered to go get my phone cable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2012 08:54:12 AM »

FruityLoops, I agree with you. If you've got a good partner in crime to go shopping with, it does help. I always end up straying from our shopping list! With amazon grocery, we can save all of our previous orders so it's easy to quickly get all of the good stuff without straying to the naughty departments Smiley

craftylittlemonkey, that looks awesome! I'm definitely ordering one. Do you have the mason jar version?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2012 11:05:00 AM »

Hmmm I haven't had pickles in forever, but they used to be one of my favorite snack foods... May have to look in to that.

As for grocery shopping, I recently came across this blog http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/ and have started incorporating the ideas into my life, and especially, into my kitchen. As you all know, I can't cook. For shit. However, this blog has really inspired me - our current ways of shopping and buying are not sustainable and what not.

Sean and I have started shopping in the bulk sections of stores like Sprouts and Whole Foods (a little pricier than Sprouts, but way closer to our house). It means no more frozen dinners and cans of spaghetti-os for me, though, and I couldn't rely on Sean to cook ALL the time. So this week, I cooked THREE WHOLE DISHES ALL BY MYSELF! (Trust me, when all I can do is hard-boil eggs (and that's only a recent accomplishment in and of itself) it's HUGE).

Wednesday I made Cheesy Potato Soup - TOTALLY DELICIOUS. I didn't put as much cheese, so it was healthier.

Last night I made Chicken Fried Burgers for Sean, and Butter Garlic Pasta for me. - Burgers fell apart cuz I've never made a burger before, and Sean wasn't home to show me how. The pasta was pretty good. It had green olives on it. Next time I would sub them for black olives, because they're milder, but it was still good. Also, didn't use as much butter as the recipe called for (well, didn't use as much ANYTHING as the recipe called for, considering I split it in 4).

I can post the recipes if anyone's interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2012 12:44:21 PM »

ooh, so many great ideas!

I just have a vague idea of what meals I want to make the following week, so if I have specific stuff I need to grab I have that on the list. Also I keep my grocery list next to my computer chair (or living room chair if I'm watching tv) and when I remember something random or run out of something I write it down and am working on it all week. If I just write my list before I go shopping then I forget tons of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Mini Art Quilt Swap 8! Now in progress!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2012 01:03:18 PM »

We make a list of things as they run out or get dangerously low. And we pretty much just stick to that, as money is tight...

Last night, i made some whole wheat penne with broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus. With just enough olive oil that the pasta wouldn't be sticky and a little bit of garlic salt. Usually, i put tuna in there, then there's really no need for the salt, but last night i just opted for veggies.

Lime, that actually sounds delicious. I love hot dogs, too.
I used to work at a burger joint, and one day the owner's grandson came up and said, "I don't know what i want. Just make whatever." I said, "Danny... Are you sure you trust me with these directions?" He said, "Yeah, just make whatever." So i made him a hot dog with peanut butter and bananas. Three years later, i'm actually seeing things like that on restaurant menus.
It might sound disgusting, but it's actually delicious. The salty and the sweet... it works. Oh, it's also good with bacon (or turkey bacon) or pickles.
I made a healthier version this summer with turkey dogs, whole wheat buns, and natural peanut butter. If you're up for new things, i say give it a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2012 03:06:44 PM »

Show and tell Smiley  So my aim of this week was to cut down on carbs such as bread/pasta/rice/potatoes, but without upping my fat intake!

Last night I was looking through the freezer and decided I needed to eat up some of the stuff that had been in there ages (namely prawns, cod, and mushrooms), so I made myself a stir fry!  As well as prawns, cod and lots of mushrooms, it also contained leek, cabbage, peas, a fresh mushroom, lots of garlic and a smidge of cheese Smiley  Was certainly filling, and had 4 of my daily portions of veg in it, bargains, I love stir fries!

And tonight Mr Loops had a mate over to watch movies and eat very unhealthy food with (namely big fat pizzas with extra toppings and cheese on, and a key lime pie for dessert) so I made sure to plan and eat my food before they started cooking so that I didn't get tempted!!

So I made a kind of turkey curry (ish), with mushrooms, red pepper, onion, spring onions, a few cooked potatoes I had left over (canned), some turkey I needed to get rid of out of the freezer (again), some extra light soft cheese, hot curry powder and herbs, with a nice portion of yummy [microwaved] cauliflower rice on the side Smiley

I do love a bit of invention in the kitchen!  Not sure the piccies do them justice but they were both yummy meals and very low fat and low carb, yey Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2012 03:28:50 PM »

Wow those both sound great! I love meals with lots of yummy veggies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Mini Art Quilt Swap 8! Now in progress!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Cork Board
Triptychs: Art in Three Pieces
Meatless Monday: Italian Stew

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...