A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 60161 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2012 01:03:18 PM »

We make a list of things as they run out or get dangerously low. And we pretty much just stick to that, as money is tight...

Last night, i made some whole wheat penne with broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus. With just enough olive oil that the pasta wouldn't be sticky and a little bit of garlic salt. Usually, i put tuna in there, then there's really no need for the salt, but last night i just opted for veggies.

Lime, that actually sounds delicious. I love hot dogs, too.
I used to work at a burger joint, and one day the owner's grandson came up and said, "I don't know what i want. Just make whatever." I said, "Danny... Are you sure you trust me with these directions?" He said, "Yeah, just make whatever." So i made him a hot dog with peanut butter and bananas. Three years later, i'm actually seeing things like that on restaurant menus.
It might sound disgusting, but it's actually delicious. The salty and the sweet... it works. Oh, it's also good with bacon (or turkey bacon) or pickles.
I made a healthier version this summer with turkey dogs, whole wheat buns, and natural peanut butter. If you're up for new things, i say give it a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2012 03:06:44 PM »

Show and tell Smiley  So my aim of this week was to cut down on carbs such as bread/pasta/rice/potatoes, but without upping my fat intake!

Last night I was looking through the freezer and decided I needed to eat up some of the stuff that had been in there ages (namely prawns, cod, and mushrooms), so I made myself a stir fry!  As well as prawns, cod and lots of mushrooms, it also contained leek, cabbage, peas, a fresh mushroom, lots of garlic and a smidge of cheese Smiley  Was certainly filling, and had 4 of my daily portions of veg in it, bargains, I love stir fries!

And tonight Mr Loops had a mate over to watch movies and eat very unhealthy food with (namely big fat pizzas with extra toppings and cheese on, and a key lime pie for dessert) so I made sure to plan and eat my food before they started cooking so that I didn't get tempted!!

So I made a kind of turkey curry (ish), with mushrooms, red pepper, onion, spring onions, a few cooked potatoes I had left over (canned), some turkey I needed to get rid of out of the freezer (again), some extra light soft cheese, hot curry powder and herbs, with a nice portion of yummy [microwaved] cauliflower rice on the side Smiley

I do love a bit of invention in the kitchen!  Not sure the piccies do them justice but they were both yummy meals and very low fat and low carb, yey Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2012 03:28:50 PM »

Wow those both sound great! I love meals with lots of yummy veggies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
FruityLoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2012 03:52:30 PM »

Wow those both sound great! I love meals with lots of yummy veggies!
Me too, there's not many veggies I don't like, yum!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2012 06:41:00 PM »

I don't like okra...and big chunks of cooked tomatoes aren't my thing (but eat tons of them raw!) Other than that, veggies are all nummy in my book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2012 08:11:53 PM »

I made a yummy 130 calorie dessert! You know those little orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream cups that you eat with a wooden spoon? Mix one of those with half a can of diet orange soda for an orange float!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2012 09:17:46 PM »

FYI I live about 45 minutes away from the original Heinz plant in Leamington Ontario and the other day I learned that the secret thickener in Heinz Ketchup is OKRA! Can you believe it?
At a friend's restaurant last weekend I ate some heavenly homemade ketchup, oh man it was good. He hasn't given up all the whole recipe to me (yet!) but he did say it was made with a can of stewed tomatoes and a can of chipotle peppers. I could have eaten a bowl of it, it was that tasty. Lower salt and sugar than the regular stuff too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2012 02:45:36 AM »

I'm curious about how others do their grocery shopping. I'm always tempted when we go through the aisles to pick up naughty things. Lately, we've been getting our groceries delivered from amazon and it's really helped us to be more thoughtful about what we're going to have in our cupboards. Anyone have tips for smart shopping?

I make sure to eat BEFORE going shopping. I tend to "find" things when I'm hungry, like chips or candy.....

Also just a simple list is very helpful so I don't overstock stuff I already have.

I also read that you should primarily shop the outside edges of the grocery stores: skip the inside aisles since most of the junk resides there. The edges are veggies/fruits, deli, fridge and freezer cases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
FruityLoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2012 05:48:28 AM »

I also read that you should primarily shop the outside edges of the grocery stores: skip the inside aisles since most of the junk resides there. The edges are veggies/fruits, deli, fridge and freezer cases.

I heard that one too, doesn't work for our usual supermarket though so mebee it's just for a certain chain or location.  Around the edges of our local there are clothes, deli, fresh cakes, bread, fizzy drinks and alcohol, so I guess in that one we should avoid the edges he he he!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2012 10:57:41 PM »

I went on a major brainstorming session earlier and listed a butt ton of salad ideas/recipes on my MFP blog earlier. Mostly for myself so I have ideas when I get bored but I thought some of you might want to see.

Salads can get repetitive, and sometimes when standing in front of the fridge going "der, everything sounds boring," I just can't think of anything tasty.

Chicken Caesar Salad:

Romaine topped with parmesan cheese, grilled chicken, reduced fat croutons and light caesar dressing.

My "Wendy's Veggie Wrap" Salad:

Based on a pita I served at Wendy's in the late 90's: make "Cucumber Relish": Dice tomato, cucumber, and red onion and keep it in a dish in the fridge, it is lovely on meats, salads, wraps, etc. For one salad or wrap, top greens with cucumber relish, feta cheese and Caesar Vinaigrette. Yum!

Steak Salad:

Great for leftover steak when there's just a little left. Top greens with sliced steak, tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, and green onions. Serve with light ranch or blue cheese dressing.

Lunchmeat salad:

Sliced lunchmeat and shredded cheese, maybe a hard boiled egg on greens with lots of veggies. Light Ranch dressing

Italian Salad:

Light Salami or turkey pepperoni with a bit of cubed cheese (pepperjack is more flavor bang for the calories), Italian dressing, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and some pickled peppers or olives on greens

Greek Salad:

Feta cheese,cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and olives on greens with a red vinegar vinaigrette.

Taco Salad:

Beans and ground burger (or a low fat chili for super lazy days) on greens with a bit of shredded cheddar. Top with light sour cream and salsa or Spicy Ranch dressing. If you have the cals available, a few crumbled tortilla chips or a crisped up corn tortilla is nice. Toppings: green onion, chopped white onion, black olives, tomatoes

Super Veggie Salad:

Chopped celery, tomato, carrots, cucumber, colored bell peppers, cabbage, broccoli slaw mix and anything else you can think of for flavor and crunch.

Fajita Salad:

Sauteed peppers and onions on greens along side whatever cooked meat you have (chicken, steak). Top with spicy ranch and tomatoes

Tuna Salad:

Mix up tuna salad with light mayo and mustard, place on greens with tomatoes and a bit of light vinaigrette.

Everyday Salad:

Greens with cucumber, green pepper, tomatoes, topped with a bit of feta or shredded cheddar and Trader Joe's FF Balsamic dressing and 1 T salted sunflower seed

Beany Salad:

3 (or 4) bean salad placed on greens. Top with a little light 1000 Island, the way it mixes with the bean salad vinaigrette is good.

Harvest Salad:

Greens with blue cheese or goat cheese, sliced green apples, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds or other nut

Herby Salad:

Add chopped cilantro and parsley to your salad greens for a surprising kick

Fruity Salad:

Greens and a bit of red onion plus chunks of green apple, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries (or whatever combo of berries). Poppyseed dressing is really good with this and some kind of nut .

Southwest Salad:

Corn and black beans on top of greens with a bit of Pepperjack, cheddar, or cotija cheese. Green pepper and pickled jalepeno is yummy too. Spicy ranch or salsa and light sour cream.

Hummus Salad:

Top greens and tomatoes with a spoonful or two of hummus and a bit of feta cheese. The hummus is the dressing and the protein. Add some lemon juice if it needs to be a little more liquidy.

Cobb Salad:

Greens topped with various veggies, hard boiled egg, sliced ham, turkey bacon, and blue cheese crumbles (or omit blue cheese and use light blue cheese dressing).

Salad Nicoise:

This salad is supposed to be pretty, be sure to arrange on plate in an appealing way: canned (or fresh, grilled) tuna, blanched fresh green beans, Boiled and chilled red potatoes, sliced hard boiled egg, Boston or Butter lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, capers, and olives. I think asparagus makes a nice addition (or sub for the green beans). Top with a lemony vinaigrette.

Spinach Salad
Spinach topped with crumbled bacon (or turkey bacon), hard boiled egg, sliced red onion, raw sliced mushroom, and a sweet vinaigrette.

Crunchy Chicken Strip Salad: (Like Red Robin's, only healthier!)

When grilled chicken just won't do...bake chicken strips~dip raw strips in flour, then egg white, then seasoned panko. Bake, turning once until done. Slice and top salad greens with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and fat free honey mustard dressing. Tomatoes and red onion are good as well.

Asian Chicken Salad (Like Applebee's, only healthier!)

Use grilled chicken or baked chicken strips as described above in Chicken Strip Salad. Top greens and shredded cabbage with green onions, shredded carrot, chicken, cilantro, and a small amount of crunchy noodles and sliced almonds. To make dressing: Mix 1/4 cup light mayo (or yogurt) with 3 T honey,1 t Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 T rice wine vinegar, and 1/2 t dark sesame oil. Make ahead and chill.

Cucumber and Tomato Salad:

For when you just don't want greens. Marinate your chopped tomatoes and cucumbers in a favorite vinaigerette. Top with goat cheese or feta crumbles and fresh basil.

Salad toppings to keep on hand for easy salads:

Salad bowl with mixed greens, cabbage, broccoli slaw mix.

Chopped green pepper, cucumber, other veggies

Hard boiled eggs (I like to boil 6 at the beginning of the week for salads and snacking)

Various cheeses, preferably shredded or crumbled

Canned beans, drained and rinsed and in the fridge so you can throw a spoonful or two on each salad

Dried fruits like cranberries, cherries, dates, figs

Sliced or slivered almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pumpkin seeds (pepitas), pecans, hazelnuts

Fresh berries or other fruits in season

Canned or frozen artichoke hearts

Canned water chestnuts

Green, black, kalamata, or fancy olives

Cooked veggies like roasted broccoli/cauliflower/brussels sprouts and sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers

Cooked meat (cook a couple chicken breasts ahead of time, or use dinner leftovers)

Different kind of veggie patties (fake burgers) in the freezer to add to salad.

Toppings like sunflower seeds, croutons, tortilla strips, wonton strips. Be sure to measure these and only do one or two max per salad.

A good variety of dressings that are tasty and low cal or fat free. Also light sour cream and salsa

Accompaniments like corn tortillas or low cal crackers for extra crunch
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012 12:28:41 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour with Eye Shadow
Kim Kardashian Surprises The World With Platinum Blonde Hair
3 Fresh Hairstyles to Try for Spring!
New Brush Collection Will Completely Change the Way You Do Your Makeup
Beauty Guide: Going Bold
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...