A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 49896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012 08:18:36 AM »

That salad in a jar is Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? And it's got quinoa, my favourite grain. I want that for lunch today, lol.

I have been studying health and nutrition for most of my life so you'd think I'd have a pretty great diet and lifestyle knowing all that I do. With 2 kids and a busy schedule though I've been eating junk and not exercising at all for a few months now and it shows. I have a naturally high metabolism so I'm thin but it's not toned thin, I'm getting lumpy, ugh. And I have no energy. It's sucking.
Today is my 40th birthday (please don't bother wishing me a happy one, I'm ignoring it this year. I'll turn 40 again next year, lol) and I feel like I've aged physically and energetically about 10 years in the past 2. This year I've made a slew of resolutions to get me back on track and I'm determined to get back in shape. The kids start school on Monday and I start working out and improving our diet. So I'll be back to check out your ideas and share my own Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012 08:31:39 AM »

3. Apple slicer.

Growing up, I never had an apple slicer. As stupid as it sounds, I don't like eating apples right off the core. I'm much more likely to eat (and finish) an apple if it's in slices. However, I never wanted to go to the trouble of slicing the stupid thing, so I just didn't eat them. Once I moved in with my fiance, he showed me this nifty little thing called an apple slicer. Shaped like a spoked wheel with handles, you shove the thing down, and voila! 8 perfect slices, with the core separated. Now I eat apples all the time, because it takes me 2 seconds to slice it!

I really want an apple slicer now!  I've seen them before but never thought to get them cos I thought it was money for something you can do with a knife, but you're totally right, I can't be bothered with apples for exactly the reasons you said!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012 08:59:26 AM »

And those apple slicers are also good for pears, etc...Anything that's not too "smooshy" that can be cut down the middle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012 09:33:18 AM »

Great tips everyone!

For this week, let's all share one small, measurable goal we are working on. Next week we can check back in to see if we accomplished that goal.

For me, I'm working on getting 5 fruits and veggie servings a day. I'm going to be logging my food at www.myfitnesspal.co m, so that will be my way of looking back and counting my servings at the end of the week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
FruityLoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012 09:58:27 AM »

Cool, I'm a member of myfitnesspal also, though I have to admit I haven't used it for a couple of months, shame on me!!  Roll Eyes  I think perhaps my goal will be to start using it again to keep a better track of things!

My tip is egg whites.  I love egg for my brekkie, the protein keeps me full until lunchtime like cereal or toast never did, but my GP told me I wasn't allowed to have so many eggs because of all the fat they contain.  But the fat is all in the yolk, soooo now I keep a carton of egg whites in the fridge and have scrambled egg whites (with herbs and seasoning) for brekkie every day instead :-)  Also if I'm cooking anything that requires egg I almost always use egg whites instead of eggs now and it keeps the fat content down!

Downfall is that it's really hard to find egg whites in UK supermarkets, so far I've only found them in Sainsburys, and I think Waitrose had them too (in the chilled section, made by "Two Chicks")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012 10:04:23 AM »

Hmm, I would not eat egg without the yolk. That's where all the fat is but it's natural unprocessed fat so much easier for the body to utilize for health than extracted oils, it's also where other nutrition is. I'm skinny though so don't listen to me!

I am going to give up coffee. It's not really a big deal, I don't like it very much anyhow. I just go to the cafe downstairs every morning as a social thing.
We used to have a smoothie for breakfast and I miss it. Baby spinach with fruit, hemp seeds, green power and probiotic powder. Totally delicious, really filling and a great energy boost for the whole morning. I've got a vitamix, I'm going to make good use of it starting next week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
FruityLoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012 10:15:27 AM »

Hmm, I would not eat egg without the yolk. That's where all the fat is but it's natural unprocessed fat so much easier for the body to utilize for health than extracted oils, it's also where other nutrition is. I'm skinny though so don't listen to me!

Oh I agree it is much better than other processed fats, and the yolk is admittedly the tastiest bit (which is why I add herbs and seasoning to my scrambled whites to make up for it Wink), in fact I have a friend who literally only eats the yolks (as you can't get a carton of egg yolks [here], she cooks the whole egg and bins the whites), which seems an awful waste of egg to me!  I'm on a very low fat diet though and any fat counts so egg yolks had to go unfortunately!  Now and again I have some yummy poached eggs though for a treat  Grin
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012 10:16:44 AM by FruityLoops » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliettesjules
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012 10:39:08 AM »

One of my issues is that once I start to eat, I don't want to stop even though I know I will be full soon.  For instance, once I finish lunch, I want to eat a little chocolate, then a little turns into a lot.  I've heard that brushing your teeth after meals is not only good for your teeth, but also curbs your appetite by giving your tummy time to feel full AND you just don't feel like putting food in your mouth once it's all minty fresh.  I'm going to try brushing my teeth after lunch and dinner to see if it helps.

Also, I stopped drinking alchohol (used to drink the equivalent of 1-2 bottles of wine a week) and dropped 6 pounds in a month without changing anything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
felix-xx
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012 11:04:23 AM »

This is a great idea! Love it!
As a culinary school graduate, nutrition really opened my eyes. We often thing about eating 'healthier' but usually are not successful because we don't embrace it as a lifestyle. Sure, vegetables for a snack is great but it doesn't mean anything if you're downing a whole glass of pop with it.

My goal for the week is to wake up earlier before work and eat breakfast. I work at 8am every morning with a half hour commute. I usually wake up with no breakfast and go off to work. I don't end up eating until after lunch unless you count coffee. As someone who suffers from hypoglycemia and should be eating five meals a day - getting up early will help! Maybe I'll even get in some time for a sun salutation =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want so badly to believe that there is truth and love is real.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012 11:24:56 AM »

I need to up my nutrition factor so I'm IN!

It's not about weight with me.  I'm a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic.  I also have allergy issues.  I have read so much on alternative nutrition, that I now tend to think traditional nutrition is what made me sick in the first place (I was not diagnosed with the diabetes till I was 23).  IN the last few years though, I have been dealing with depression and being "stuck", and I have developed a "food sucks" kind of attitude.  So I would rather eat chocolate then try and think of something healthy to eat...or just skip eating all together.  My Hub does the cooking, so I normally have one full meal a day at least.  But then I tend to graze on crap all night long, so I'm not hungry in the morning again.  SO my large goal is to get back to eating things that nourish me, and eating every 2 to 4 hours during the day, so I don't feel ravenous at night.

So my goal for this week is to eat something balanced and nutritious (even if it is something small, like fruit and nuts) every morning with in 2 hours of getting up, preferably with my coffee.  I was, till the holidays, making a veg, fruit, chia seed, almond ...I was calling it a "smoothy", but it was so thick it was really more a pudding....every morning and working on it through out the morning.

My tip is I made me a huge bowl of fresh cranberry/orange relish a few days ago.  I've been eating it on everything.  I did cook the cranberries just until they popped, but you can do it with raw ones too.  You chop, food process, or blend in batches 1 bag of fresh or frozen cranberries, one whole orange, scrubbed and cut up to fit in the machine, sweeten to taste.  I used a mix of Xyletol and Brown sugar (another goal is to not use fake sweeteners any more), and I only used about 2 table spoons all together.  You can add spices too if you want.  Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cardamon, nutmeg are all yummy.  It will thicken up (if you do the cooked version) when you frig it.  I've been eating it on everything (peanut butter and toast, mini meat balls, cottage or other soft cheese, stir it into soda water even)..and all by it's self, which is my favo way.  It's chockablock with fiber, and the intense sour flavor is perfect for me when I'm craving sweets.  It doesn't take much of it to turn off the sweet tooth in other words.  I do have to calculate it into my insulin dose, but due to the high fiber, it isn't raising my blood sugar fast.  I'm eating a few almonds when I eat it by it's self  (I try to never eat a carbo with out eating a protein...at least when I'm doing what I should be doing Grin))  And I feel like I'm getting allot more healthy food into me...it's a huge dose of Vit. C, which is all ways good this time of year Grin

felix-xx--The reason I started to make smoothies (or what ever I am calling them heheh) was I bought a one person blender with a make and take container.  It has a lid with a slider for drinking out of.  The hard part is finding a smoothy recipe that will inspire you to make it before you leave for work Grin
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012 11:30:29 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Farm by Tom Rob Smith Book Trailer
How to Get a Free EBook?
Claire Legrand: What Are You Reading?
Crystal Chan: What Are You Reading?
The Frackers: Wildcatters Who Made It Big
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...