A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,534
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 52200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mommai
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012 06:12:01 AM »

It's hard to do for me, but if you actually eat your meal at a table with no distractions, you enjoy it more and feel more full, because you are paying more attention to eating and are able to remember it better. How often do we sit at our computers or TVs with a snack, and then think "Hey, where did all those chips go?" Would we really eat a whole bag if we were just sitting at the table? It takes a lot of discipline, but it helps me enjoy my food and cooking more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012 01:05:08 PM »

I need to buy an apple slicer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
cat2007
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012 05:30:21 PM »

several tricks I've used on myself over the years with amazing results:
to trick the eye since we first eat with our eyes: I use salad plates instead of the large ones that came with the place setting I have.  I've found that by using the salad plates I ate less and didn't do second helpings since my plate was filled. with a normal size plate there was always room left to add 'just a bit of this or that'.   
cut out sodas - dd and I did a raw diet in 2010 she lost 12 lbs in 30 days, I lost 23- she's not had a soda since then. (funny about her: we were sick over the holidays 2011 and I gave her a alka seltzer cold 'drink'- she took one sip and looked at me horrified- 'mama you gave me sprite'- took some time to convince her I'd not tricked her)
try sprouting your own veggies (my fav is radish sprouts)
juicing- easy way to get your greens and so much energy you'll have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012 07:15:05 PM »

elliot_anne, i am so the same way about apples!

When i eat apples, i sprinkle cinnamon on them. Then again, cinnamon is my favorite spice (of all time), and i add it to anything i can.
"You'll find as many antioxidants in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon as a full cup of pomegranate juice or cup of blueberries."
Check out how good cinnamon is for you: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=68

cat2007, totally with the salad plate. When i was actually losing weight, my family would tease me for using a small bowl. They couldn't understand how such a small amount could fill me up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
JulieML
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012 09:14:23 PM »

I love cinnamon as well ... In general using  herbs & spices is a good diet tip. If your food is more flavorful you will savor it & eat slower & it will be more enjoyable. 
I LOVE baby carrots.  =) I make a simple dip with a little low fat sour cream or low fat plain yogurt a squeeze of  grainy mustard & dill, great with carrots & celery. When you have an empty dill pickle jar toss in some raw washed & dried chopped veggies, goo topping for salad, crunchy & helps to reduce the "need" for croutons or bacon bits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012 09:51:50 PM »

I'm totally in!

My favorite salty "fix" is dill pickles. I know it's probably not the healthiest but it does massively cut down on fat (as in not eating chips, etc.) and you can't eat a ton of pickles without getting sick of the taste beforehand.

I loved eating spears or even hamburger slices. One spear is only 5 calories!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012 10:08:42 PM »

Great tips here. I've also learned to down size my plate. I've also tried to cut down on carbs. I tend to use the wok a lot now. I cut up chicken breast in small pieces (goes for "larger" portion sizes) marinate in wine and soy sauce. A dash of olive oil in the wok and cook til done. Remove from wok then add my veggies--lots of veggies. I quick "fry" them in the leftover juices til crispy done then return my chicken to the wok and heat through and serve. Sometimes I make rice but mostly that is a lovely meal and DH is finally eating vegetables.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012 06:59:03 AM »

One of the things that has worked for me (and has already been mentioned) is downsizing the plate. I stepped from regular plate to salad and now I almost always eat out of a bowl for my meals. My brain now sees a loaded bowl and thinks Whoa! That's a lot of food! Smiley

I also do the pre made lunch thing for me and my kids. Prepacking fruits, veggie sticks, dressing and home made granola is a life safer as I pack lunches every morning for all of us. It also helps me keep so much processed foods out of our meals too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012 01:35:58 AM »

I saved this pic from some pinterest page....coolest idea ever!

Salad In A Jar!

Dressing on the bottom, greens on the top so they don't touch. Original poster said the salad lasts in the jar in the fridge for 4 days!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012 01:39:11 AM by hawkeyes_girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012 06:57:55 AM »

i am so in this one..

one thing I do is buy lots of seeds from the health food store, I use poppy, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and put them all in a large jar. They go into a lot of things in my kitchen, all baked goods and sprinkled on salads. They massively boost the nutritional content, plus they make you feel fuller and make salads etc a lot more interesting.

i also make two large bowls of salad, both of these keep for about 3-4 days in the fridge, so in the mornings for lunch, i fill a bento box, with some cold meat (if i have some) or smoked fish, plus a large serve of each of the two salads, they are very tasty and very healthy

Beetroot and yoghurt.

toast some flaked almonds in a dry frying pan, until lightly browned,

add to a jar of pickled sliced beetroot (drained!) try get no sugar variety if you can, and a good cup of plain yoghurt...

easy and very yummy!!

Broccoli(sp?) chorizo and feta

this one tends to be slightly different every week, trust me on this, even if you think you dont like raw broccoli

cut broc into small florets, into a bowl add whole cherry tomatos.

toast some whole hazlenuts in a dry frying pan, then crush them a bit with either a pestle and mortar or whack them with the bottom of a saucepan....add to bowl...

fry some chorizo slices (Optional and fatty, but very tasty..makes eating raw veggies a huge pleasure!)...add to bowl

crumble over some feta (or other salty cheese..I like lots)

if you have some semi sun-dried tomatoes, they are also brilliant in this.

add some seeds if you have them and toss the whole thing with a balsamic french dressing (I just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

pea and barley

I had almost forgotten about this one, I knew there were always three salads in my fridge!

Cook some pearlised barley, according to packet (ie just boil it up for about 15 mins)

add to a bowl, with about an equal quantity of frozen peas (no need to defrost unless you are eating straight away)

this is the basis and yummy as is...

optional..but good: sliced green onions, fresh parsley/nuts/seeds etc if you have them.

I like semi-sun dried tomatos and some crushed walnuts.

dress with a simple french dressing.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012 07:02:28 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 2
How to use Architectural Desktop - Wall Cleanup with XREFS
Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup Merges and Joins
How to use Architectural Desktop ADT 2007 CURVED ROOF
How to use Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup at Floor Lines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...