A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 62893 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2012 10:14:38 AM »

Oh I so fell off the healthy eating waggon this weekend, ate with a vengance, all the fatty forbidden stuff, nothing fast food, all home cooked, but there was a lot of it..and I ate too much..and drank lots of fizzy wine!

Tomorrow is another day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2012 01:35:56 PM »

Here's my healthy sweet snack from this afternoon http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=405054.0  Quinoa with cinnamon, vanilla and strawberries!  Ahh, I'm ready for a nap now, hehe.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2012 02:04:06 PM »

Angry
Saurkraut did not ferment properly.
A loaf and a half of bread got mouldy spots in the cupboard.
Found a stash of veg that had gone yech in the back of the fridge.
Went for birthday lunch with my brother yesterday and ordered something for both the kid and I that sounded vegetarian on the menu but came loaded with BEEF, ugh. They wouldn't take it off the bill so I had to pay for THREE meals, OMG, ridiculous. I didn't pitch a scene because brother's bday but man, I was not impressed.
Oh, ha, and the one day we skipped our green smoothie for breakfast and went out for eggs and toast I had the WORST stomach, lol, like I ate rocks. That'll teach me.

So, Fail.

But then,
Managed tomato sandwiches I'd planned with rice cakes that no one will eat otherwise instead of bread.
Cooked some chickpeas I had soaking and made hummus, made a red kidney bean paste for corn tortillas for later on tonight and did up a nice potato leek soup that granted needs a bit of work for the kids to enjoy it but will make for many meals.
I've even got all the dishes washed and kitchen tidied so we can make up some frozen banana ice cream later on, the kids have been begging me for it for a while now. How they want to eat anything so cold in this weather is a mystery to me though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2012 03:51:01 PM »

Here's my healthy sweet snack from this afternoon http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=405054.0  Quinoa with cinnamon, vanilla and strawberries!  Ahh, I'm ready for a nap now, hehe.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

That looks yummy, sweets!

Glad you turned your day around CLM! I can't believe the restaurant wouldn't take that off the bill! What horrible customer service!

I think I'm re-addicted to steel cut oats, and they are good! I hate rolled oats because the texture is just too mushy for me. Steel cut oats are deliciously chewy and have a bit of pop. Last week I cooked up a cup of steel cut oats with 2 peeled and shredded granny smith apples, a bunch of cinnamon, and a bit of agave syrup and have been eating on it all week. I top each bowl with a bit of agave or brown sugar (1 teaspoon), 1 tablespoon of natural almond butter, and a small bit of chopped nuts (Planters winter spiced nut mix I got on clearance). It ends up being a 400 cal bowl of oats, which sounds like a lot but it's got good fats, fruit, and deliciousness in it! It blows my mind that 1 cup of steel cut oats turns into 6 servings of oats! And I buy them in bulk, super cheap!

Anybody have some good steel cut (or regular) oat ideas for mix-ins? I also do banana and the original recipe for what I did was supposed to be "carrot cake" with apple + carrots + raisins but I was just feeling the apples.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012 03:52:02 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2012 04:38:32 PM »

Aww, CLM!  Sorry you had such a rough time.  Love that you turned it all around, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
Miss Whitney
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2012 08:35:24 AM »

I've been doing OK with my eating - but just OK! I really need to ramp up my efforts a bit. On Saturday, I ate nothing but carbs- brown rice for breakfast, vegan mac and cheese for lunch, crackers and jam for a snack. I finally got some veg in for dinner, but yikes! Yesterday I did OK too - I made a smoothie for breakfast, and then had leftover homemade enchiladas* for lunch, and kale with beans and sausage for dinner. But then I ate some cheese crackers and circus cookies too, meh.

Today I had brown rice for breakfast, and I'm going to make a salad for lunch, but I don't have any protein for it so I'm worried I might get snacky. I'm going for dinner to one of my favorite places tonight, and I can order pretty healthy foods there, but then the issue becomes portion control. I have to make sure I'm not going in too hungry, gotta plan ahead.

Enchiladas: I LOVE Mexican food! I made super yummy and semi-healthy enchiladas with homemade corn tortillas, black beans, butternut squash, wilted greens, green chile sauce, and about half the cheese I would normally use. The sauce was a little dry, and without all the cheese there wasn't much moisture in the pan, so I just poured half a cup of stock over the top to bake it, which saved it! It could have taken a whole cup though.

Let's hope I can stay on track this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2012 01:49:35 PM »

Mmmm, enchiladas...

So I need some advice, if anyone's willing to offer any.  I'm going to be driving to and from Florida next week, for my niece's wedding.  It's approximately an 11 hour drive.  My goal is to not eat any fast food or "truck stop" food (which is what I usually live on, on drives like this).  I'm planning on bringing fruits, veggies, and string cheese, but I need something more substantial, I'm thinking...most of my favorite things need to be heated.  Maybe some chicken wraps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2012 02:28:19 PM »

Hummus and crackers? Definitely chicken or turkey or veggie wraps. Sandwiches with whole grain bread? Fiber One granola bars are really tasty and not bad nutritionally. Um, trying to think of the other things the boyfriend and I take in the cooler when we go to play boardgames all day. Beef or turkey jerky? Little packs of peanut butter you could put on bread or apples/celery. If you do want to take something that needs to be heated, most mini marts and truck stops will have a microwave. Like, 7/11 has a microwave. No reason you couldn't take a salad to eat when you take a break from driving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2012 02:42:17 PM »

How about salad in a jar?  They are YUMMY, fun and filling.
Homemade granola (Crockpot granola, perhaps!)
Berries, nuts, homemade fruit strips, grapes, crackers
A loaf of fresh zucchini bread
Kale chips
Muffins

In the summer, we spend most of the weekend on the road, in parks and on pontoons boats, so we pretty much eat these sorts of things all weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2012 02:43:20 PM »

I love that salad in a jar (no reason you couldn't use a tupperware, so long as you didn't tip it and mix the dressing in with the veggies) take away thing, you can put chicken in it. Just take it with an ice pack so it stays cold enough to stave off bacteria growth.
http://fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.blogspot.com/2011/10/salad-in-jar-src.html
Bake a tortilla or pita so it's crisp and crush it, then add it to the salad just before you eat it so it's like a fatoosh salad, OOOHH YUM!

I usually take cut up veggies with a container of hummus and or guacamole, that's super filling. Also, I use an apple slicer to cut up an apple but put it all back together and wrap it in something (saran, a cloth, whatever you use) and take a container of almond butter along. That goes great with grapes too, the fat slows down the absorption of sugar from the fruit for sustained energy so you feel good longer that just eating fruit alone. It's not great food combining if you've got serious digestive issues though. I can handle it and I'm usually pretty sensitive.

Instead of tupperware containers all of that stuff can go into ziplock baggies, even the nut butter, in case you don't have room to take containers back home with you.

I fed the kids their fave tonight, whole grain tortillas with home cooked red kidney beans, tomato and a sprinkle of feta. I got them to help me make lentil, barley, veggie soup tonight too so they're eager to eat it because they make it themselves, lol. Tricky mom.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 02:44:25 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Products To Keep You Smelling & Looking Radiant As You Travel
Twiggy Inspired Sixties Makeup Tutorial
Top 5 Summer Lipsticks
How to Make Matte Nail Polish
How To Make 3 At-Home Cellulite Remedies
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...