A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 84497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2012 08:48:02 AM »

You go Ais!  That is tremendous!  30 pounds is a HUGE accomplishment!

Tracking is a must...you can't lose weight by exercising alone...it will burn off some calories and get you in shape, but the food is the ticket...Keep up the good work!

I do my steel cut oats on the stove as well, but the regular oats, fruit and nuts I do in the fridge overnight...just unwrap and eat...I have even taken it to work...

CLM--what beautiful eggs!  The Amish let the chickens eat marigolds and they seem to make pretty bright yolks!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012 08:48:16 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2012 09:34:56 AM »

Wow, those eggs look great clm!

I'm on vaca in Vegas right now, and not eating the best, but we're walking mikes and miles every day, lots of stair climbing since one of our suites is inthe the secind fliir and the other is on the third floor, plus i've been stretching in the pool. I'm reading Eat to Live and very stoked to start it when i get home. It's going to be a huge change, but i have my mom partilly on board and my boyfriend totally on board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2012 07:16:06 PM »

Lime, I'm just going to do the steel cut oats on the stove.  To do those over night you have to do it in the crock pot, and I don't feel like dealing with that sucker.

Always, that's a great motivator!  I've actually been doing pretty well with my weight loss.  I've unofficially lost 30 lbs since January (unofficially because my weigh in day is not until Friday).  I've still got a long way to go with it, though!  Eating better and watching calories through a tracker have really made all the difference.  I'm definitely working out more, but it's the food that was getting me.

WAY TO GO!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2012 09:21:52 PM »

Hey peeps! How is everyone doing? I'm so sorry I've been neglecting this thread, but I've been sick (going on seven weeks now) and then I went on vacation (not that fun when you're sick). I've been doing Eat to Live since Saturday and I am feeling so much better and am down 8 pounds. Yeah, I'm fully aware that cutting out salt could be a lot of that, but it's still very motivating to see on the scale Cheesy

For anyone that is curious, I highly recommend reading Eat to Live. It's basically a low salt, low fat, vegan diet that stresses eating a lot of veggies (1 lb of cooked and 1 lb of raw is your goal each day) plus fruits (4+) and legumes (1 cup+) and a few nuts and seeds. I'm actually having trouble eating all the quantities of food I'm supposed to, but feel so good already from getting off the salt, dairy, and processed foods, although I do miss cheese.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2012 09:22:39 PM »

I know we're almost halfway through the week, but let's all list one goal that we're working on or commit to working on the rest of the week!

I commit to getting in at least my 1 lb of raw veggies everyday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2012 01:19:51 AM »

Joining in, I can't believe how much of this thread I've read! I'm 23, currently at 183lbs, down from 206lbs 10 months ago. I've lost 23lbs, and I'm aiming to drop another 40lbs to reach a healthy BMI. I've had some issues keeping things up lately though: I forgot to get my flu vaccine this year, and was unlucky enough to be exposed and actually got the flu. It was a really bad one, I had a fever for 2 solid weeks, I ate nothing at all for 5 days because the only thing I could keep down was fluids and the only thing I was capable of doing was lying down on the couch and sleeping. Because of this prolonged immobility, the pill, family history and weight, I got a deep vein thrombosis in a vein in the back of my right knee, which I noticed due to not being able to walk or even stand up. The DVT diagnosis was made on the 27th of March, when treatment with anticoagulants and compression of my leg started. My leg is back to normal now, in that I have no more problems with standing or walking, and it doesn't hurt any more. I have gotten under quite a bit of stress, as I've had issues with the compression stocking I need to wear: the wrong type was ordered, and it cut off my blood flow in my leg, really hurting me, so I had to go back to bandaging the leg while waiting for the new one. The insurance company however, was first refusing to pay for the replacement, since they only insure 2 per year, and there has to be a 3 month period between getting the first one and the second one (don't ask me why!). Total nonsense of course, since the bad fit of the first stocking is a huge medical risk! It took a bunch of phonecalls to sort that out, I had to make sure that the new prescription of the doctor would clearly state the medical necessity to change stockings and do lots of paperwork just to get the care I need. The diagnosis was 5 weeks ago, but I'm still being bandaged because of all this hassle. I should be getting the right stocking next week, hopefully.

It does mean that in the last 5 weeks, I've had to be bandaged three times a week, which a nurse comes and does in my home. The company that does this has lots of nurses though, and there's only one nurse I've seen several times, but most of the time, they're new strangers I have to invite into my home and for whom I'm standing in my panties so they can do their job. All the nurses were very professional and nice, but I just wish it would be one or maybe two nurses that would come and do it, instead of a new face every time, that would be a lot less uncomfortable. It's also quite confining, because you have to be home within the time range the reserved for you (I'm usually between 12.30 and 13.30), but they can't always make that. I've had to wait as late as 14.15 for a nurse to arrive and do the leg. It takes away your freedom, you're pretty much house bound until they've been. Add in the fact that I have to go to the hospital twice or even thrice per week, remembering the pills twice a day (it's harder than you'd think!) and the side effects of medication and it just accumulates to a whole lot of stress and frustration.

I noticed that I felt hungry a lot more often than I used to, and that I wouldn't feel full even if I ate more than I used to. At a certain point, I noticed my stomach hurt from eating too much, and I STILL felt hungry! That's when I discovered I was emo eating, so now I'm consciously trying to avoid doing so. I gained 2 pounds over the last 5 weeks, and I really don't want to see the number on the scale going up, it needs to go down! My weight was a contributing factor to the DVT, I want to get to a healthy weight and reduce my risk of it happening again!

For the rest of the weak, I commit to meticulously log my food again. I did this before I got the flu, and it helped me so much to get the weight off, I hope it will help me again right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2012 07:05:03 AM »

Hi Naantje! Wow, that sounds really trying, at least you're hanging in there! Food logging is a great tool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #397 on: May 02, 2012 07:19:09 AM »

Naantje, wishing you all the best - my mum had a DVT in her leg and I remember how stressful it was for her at the time Sad

My goal this week is to get my exercise sorted! My sister took me shopping and bought me running shoes (seriously, they are awesome dark grey with pink laces, kids shoes as I have small feet (saves some money too!)) a decent sports bra/running leggings and top, we bought exercise balls and everything! Trying to tone up as so far I've only lost weight by sorting out my diet, but I think with exercise too I'll really notice the changes in my body!

We went for a jog around the block the other day and found a free OUTDOOR GYM, literally 2 minutes walk from our house, what are the chances of that! We're waiting to see what sort of people use it before frequenting it often as it's slap-bang in the middle of a dodgey looking housing estate but wow, what a find! So far the two times we've been for a look it's been empty (first time it was raining and we had a go! Second time was yesterday, about 8pm on a lovely evening!) I'm definitely not a good runner at the moment though. I can only manage about maybe 80-100m before I get a stitch and can't breathe Sad But I WILL work on it and improve! We went for a 3.4 mile power walk/jog/run yesterday which was rather nice, if a bit stressful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: May 02, 2012 07:02:54 PM »

I know we're almost halfway through the week, but let's all list one goal that we're working on or commit to working on the rest of the week!

I commit to getting in at least my 1 lb of raw veggies everyday!

Getting at least my 5 fruit/veg servings. I have concentrated far too much on protein intake alone....my "waste" changed in texture-not enough fiber....

Sorry if that was gross, just sharing.  Wink

I had 5 today...Woo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2012 09:24:51 AM »

I've been really enjoying the steel cut oatmeal.  I added two mashed bananas, a healthy dash (probably 1/4 tsp.) of apple pie seasoning, because I couldn't find my cinnamon, about a tsp. of vanilla, and a tablespoon of brown sugar to one cup of oats and four cups of liquid (I added all that stuff after cooking).  I top each serving with a tiny handful of dried cranberries before re-warming, and it's SO good!  And less sugar than my regular cereal.

My goal for the entire month is no fast food.  We've been doing that a lot the last few weeks, and need to break the habit again.  I'm also thinking about trying green smoothies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Holiday Bingo
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...