A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 52272 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2012 07:39:57 AM »

My bro is farm sitting for friends so we're getting fresh organic eggs weekly, woo hoo! The nutrition level is off the charts compared to store bought, they eat scraps and bugs and organic feed. I'm so happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2012 08:16:55 AM »

The lettuce wraps were fabulous!  Tonight we are having baked chicken.  I am marinating my chicken in the garlic chili sauce that I am recently obsessed with.  I think its call srirachi... it's too spicy for everyone else in my house so I have to separate my chicken from the rest...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2012 11:07:06 AM »

Yum Lindy, that sounds so good!  We raise chickens, too, craftylittlemonkey.  Fresh eggs are awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2012 11:09:33 AM »

That stir fry looks yummy! I have sirloin steak in the freezer just to use in a stir fry. My problem with stir fries is that I get bored with the same sauce, I need to find some new ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2012 11:45:00 AM »

That stir fry looks yummy! I have sirloin steak in the freezer just to use in a stir fry. My problem with stir fries is that I get bored with the same sauce, I need to find some new ideas.

Do a search on pinterest for stir fry's and I bet you will find a ton of new recipes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2012 12:54:33 PM »

My bro is farm sitting for friends so we're getting fresh organic eggs weekly, woo hoo! The nutrition level is off the charts compared to store bought, they eat scraps and bugs and organic feed. I'm so happy!

Yum!! Fresh eggs are the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2012 04:47:55 PM »

Every time I'm in my kitchen I think... I need to visit Mare's healthy thread. Then by the time I get back to my robot I forget Smiley.

Well, my laptop is in the kitchen with me now so here I am!

I'm excited to go back through this thread for some healthy recipes. Okay, I'm caught up!

Here's my story...

I've realized recently that I'm good at dieting. It's not as easy as it used to be to lose weight but I can stick with a plan, eat well, exercise and drop pounds. What I'm not good at is keeping it off. I lose weight and then tell myself I can eat whatever I want. Then I gain 10 lbs, panic and go on a restrictive diet again to lose the weight. Up and down, up and down...

I really want to work this year to have a lifestyle of healthier living. I want to lose weight but I want to do it in a way that it will stay off, even though it will mean that it comes off slower. No more yo-yo'ing!

I really enjoyed reading others goals and tips! Love the idea of using salad plates. We're instituting that right away! I've also copied some of your great looking recipes.

I have a couple recipe tips for the week...

- Roasted Cauliflower Soup - I use olive oil instead of butter. I also put green onions, fat free cheddar and a bit of low fat sour cream on top.
- Frozen grapes!! I like to keep a bag of green grapes in the freezer for snacking. They are just as good as any popsicle Smiley.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012 05:29:59 PM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2012 06:26:14 PM »

So I'm a bit derailed already....I am sick so I am eating whatever doesn't make me want to yak!

Oh well.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I LOVE fresh eggs. Used to get some through an Amish couple I knew and they were second to none.

The recipes are making me hungry!

Also did a bit of pinteresting this weekend and I found something I never heard of....supreme your citrus fruit. Intrigued? I was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLcfzpOood4

Found this to explain it. I usually just halved and scooped out the darned things. I LOVE grapefruit and this is how I think they are removed from the fruit when you buy the plastic jars of them in the fresh produce aisle. So simple yet I never thought of doing it like this. I will def. be trying it when I get to feeling like eating anything with acids!

Also, don't think I'll be setting water goals, I always am up for H2O. Thing I need to be mindful is diet pop. I drank one today and it was WAY too sweet for me. I need to cut it out almost entirely.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012 06:30:41 PM by hawkeyes_girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2012 11:14:39 PM »

Health prompt for this week:

Please share one healthy recipe you either already love or are going to try soon.

On Page 2 I shared my favorite recipe. Fast, easy and most importantly, healthy.
Another recipe I like and find easy, fast and healthy is:
Chicken thighs and drumsticks
Onion
Spices of your choice: salt, pepper, paprika etc.
Chicken soup powder
Canola oil
Mixed Veggies

Saute onions in a little bit of oil. Add chicken pieces (I take the skin off) and "sear" the meat to close in juices. (All my meat is Kosher so I try different ways to keep it tender and juicy) Add a few tablespoons of chicken soup powder to about 6 cups warm water. Add spices of your choice to the water (I add curry powder to everything but ice cream) Bring to the boil. Add water til chicken is just covered. Bring to the boil again then add your veggies. (I do use frozen veggies. It turns out cheaper for me in the long run). Simmer on very low fire for about 1\2 to 3\4 hour. You can also just add rice \brown rice at the simmer stage for added carbs.
This also tastes better the next day when all of the flavors incorporate. (I made this yesterday and we're having for lunch today.)

Review last week:

How did your goal from last week go? What are you going to do to keep working on it this week?

My goal went pretty good last week. I need to keep writing down what goes into my mouth until I make it a conscious habit.
Next goal: Healthier recipes and apply.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012 11:22:10 PM by Jinjeet Phoenix » THIS ROCKS   Logged
felix-xx
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2012 09:11:49 AM »

My healthy recipe for the week is something that my mother used to make us as kids. It was called 'Mushroom Chicken' and basically consisted of a can of mushroom soup poured over chicken and then simmered slowly for a few hours. Here's my low-fat recipe!

1 lb of chicken thighs, skin-off.
1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup (the low-sodium, half-fat variety.)
same can filled with half skim milk and half water
fresh thyme
dried oregano

So basically I take a big dutch oven (like, a covered baker) and sear my chicken really really well. That 'golden brown' colour you get from searing meat is pure flavor with no extra calories =)
Then i mix together my soup and milk in a seperate bowl and pour over chicken. Throw in your herbs and spices (whatever you're into) and give it a good stir. Turn the heat down to low and let it hang out for an hour or two. Stir it up occasionally and make sure you flip your chicken at least once.

Usually served with rice or noodles, I serve this over baked spaghetti squash with a side of fresh veggies!

My last week goal went pretty well. I made sure I was eating my breakfast and managed to do yoga in the morning twice. Still needs some improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want so badly to believe that there is truth and love is real.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Cool Banners in Gimp
How to Create A Map in Photoshop
How to Make a Twitter Logo in Photoshop
How to Use GIMP Freeware Image Editor
How to Convert Images Into Icons in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...