A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,598
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2012  (Read 49879 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012 10:46:30 AM »

Health prompt for this week:

Please share one healthy recipe you either already love or are going to try soon.

Review last week:

How did your goal from last week go? What are you going to do to keep working on it this week?

OOH! I can do this! My healthy recipe is a simple salad that I'm now obsessed with...a handful of baby arugula, some cherry tomatoes cut in half, and a few small chunks of preservative-free salami (I got chianti salami from Trader Joes--delish!) Mix up a tablespoon each of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and drizzle over the salad. YUM!!

My goal from last week went pretty well! I'm definitely drinking more water, especially right when I get up. Having a small breakfast like yogurt or tapioca pudding has been great for my energy levels too. I plan to get some fruit this week to keep going on that, and make sure to keep my water filter pitcher extra full.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2012 11:24:17 AM »

Please share one healthy recipe you either already love or are going to try soon.

Review last week:

How did your goal from last week go? What are you going to do to keep working on it this week?

Review: I was way under on my calories most days (like, 500-700 under), but also under on my protein. I only hit my protein mark once. Yesterday I was 15 over on calories (damn you Starbucks gift card!). For this week, I really want to keep striving to get closer to that protein goal. I've been keeping my eye out for foods that are higher in protein (been eating a lot of PB&J sandwiches). Also, I want to make sure I eat breakfast every day. I think that's probably why I've been so far under my calorie goal. If I don't eat under 2 in the afternoon, and only eat 2 meals, I won't have enough calories by bedtime.

Recipe: I honestly can't cook to save my life. My parents to this day won't let me in their kitchen for fear I'll burn the house down. However, Sean and I attempted to bake our own bread this week. When his parents moved to Washington, they left behind a bread maker. All you do is pour in the ingredients for whichever type of bread you're making, and press start. 3 hours later you have a freshly-cooked (good for you!!) 2-lb loaf of bread.

We did this after starting to read the ingredients on the back of the bags of bread at the store. There are so many preservatives and additives and 'enrichments' in that crap! I couldn't even read half the list!!

So we started with the simplest recipe - white bread. 6 ingredients. Flour, Salt, Sugar, Milk, Butter, and Yeast. THAT'S IT! I was amazed. It isn't the greatest bread for making sandwiches (maybe next time we'll try the wheat), and it has no preservatives, so you have to keep it in the fridge. BUT it makes a good piece of toast, or garlic bread for a dinner side. Plus, I love the idea that you can put the ingredients in the thing in the morning, go to work, and come home to a fresh-baked loaf of bread. Makes the house smell amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2012 11:55:03 AM »

I did really well with my goals for last week and want to continue to work out at least 5 times a week and meet my calorie goals for the day per My Fitness Pal.

I am going to try homemade lettuce wraps tonight.  Got the recipe from here: http://asmallsnippet.blogspot.com/search/label/recipe

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2012 12:06:29 PM »

My fave soup recipe is sweet potato, coconut and chicken soup, everyone I've made it for loves it too, I posted a piccie of it on this thread last week.  It comes from a soup book I have but I'll copy out the basics here (with some of my amendments to make it lower fat) Smiley

Ingredients:
30g butter (or I use low fat spread)
125g of each of the following (sliced) carrot, leek, celery, onion
1 tsp chopped red chilli
1 tsp chopped root ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 pints chicken stock
30g plain flour
600g sweet potato (cubed)
500g chicken breast (I usually use only half of this amount though)
1 tbs chopped spring onion
soy sauce to tast
400g low fat coconut milk

Directions:
  • Melt the butter in a large pan.  Add the carrot, leek, celery, onion, chilli, ginger and garlic, and fry gently until soft, about 5 mins.
  • Add the flour to the veg and stir until well absorbed, then whisk in the [heated] stock gradually.
  • Add the sweet potatoes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 20 mins, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
  • Blend the soup in a food processor (I use a hand blender), return to the pan over low heat, and add the chicken, spring onion, soy sauce and coconut milk.  Simmer for 5 mins and serve!.

SERVES 4-6

Review last week:

Pretty good, my goal was to fill in my food diary all week and I have without fail Smiley  That's not to say I've lost any weight, but now I'm keeping a close eye on things hopefully I will soon be losing again Grin  Things will be a little tricky this week though as I'm going to be staying with a friend Tues-Wed, and eating at the In-Laws on Weds night, so recording food will be a little tricky as I won't necessarily know what's in it!  Undecided 

Have also started going to the gym again, so my additional goal now is to go to the gym or pool at least twice a week Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2012 12:55:33 PM »

The recipes so far sound great!

This blog I follow has a turkey meatloaf muffins recipe that I want to try soon! Although, our freezer is full of extra lean ground beef (only 7% fat, almost too lean) so I'll probably just make it with that to save on buying more groceries. I love that you can freeze the individual servings for later!

I've done pretty well on eating more fruits and veggies, I need to continue by keeping the cut veggies in the fridge and a full fruit bowl. So much of eating healthy depends on starting with good groceries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2012 01:06:45 PM »

I did really well with my goals for last week and want to continue to work out at least 5 times a week and meet my calorie goals for the day per My Fitness Pal.

I am going to try homemade lettuce wraps tonight.  Got the recipe from here: http://asmallsnippet.blogspot.com/search/label/recipe

Oooh defo saving off that recipe, it's my fave dish from our chinese takeaway!  I've made rough attempts at making it myself but haven't got it down yet so I'll be trying that one sometime soon I think.  Do tell how yours come out Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2012 01:26:53 PM »

Okay, my recipe, which i love! It's from SparkPeople, and i've been making it for a few years now.

Black Bean Chicken

INGREDIENTS
2 cans black beans
16 oz jar salsa
1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked)
1 lb chicken breast

DIRECTIONS
Place frozen chicken breasts in slow cooker.
Pour beans, rice and salsa over chicken.
Cook low 8-10 hours and serve.

Number of Servings: 6

Review: I ate vegetables every day last week. I just got some romaine, so i plan on having more salads this week.
My new goal is to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I saw a trick on pinterest: wear 8 rubber bands on your wrist, and take one off each time you've had 8 ounces of water. I know the benefits of drinking more water, i'm just a total sipper and never drink enough of it.

Turkey meatloaf muffins sound so good. I found a recipe on meals & moves that i've been meaning to try for a couple years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2012 01:34:20 PM »

I ate breakfast with in 2 hours of getting up everyday, except one.  I got puttering around the house and I completely forgot about food till well after 2pm.  And every breakfast had at least one veg or fruit in it.  Not sure my energy level is any better though...but that may be the 3 days of snow we are having that makes me feel like I want to sleep till spring.

And a healthy recipe...

Ricotta pancakes.

1/2 a container of ricotta cheese
1 egg
spices

Mix it all together and cook them like pancakes on low to medium.  It takes a long time to cook them enough to get them to stay together, so I make very small pancakes.  I like to use cardamom and cinnamon and I also tend to add some sweetener, agave syrup or xylitol or jam.
Plus, ricotta is only 100 calories for 1/4 cup, so it's good for those high protein low carb, and calorie watching folks
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012 02:27:47 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2012 01:58:16 PM »

Review last week:

Last week: Eh. Did pretty well overall but not as good as I know I could. Just keep plugging.

This week: Turkey Crockpot Chili

1 lb browned ground turkey
1 Can kidney beans (optional: +1 can whatever other beans (sometimes I add black)
1 Can corn
1 chopped bell pepper
1-2 qt stewed tomatoes or diced stewed tomatoes
1/2 or 1 onion diced and sauteed with turkey
chili powder to taste
salt to taste
bay leaf
hot sauce if desired

Combine ingredients in a greased/sprayed crockpot and put on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6. Put seasonings in at the end, last hour or so. Tasty and easy to do!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
usamoshiko
The kawaii, insane girl of glueness fandom

I will punish you, with this glue pot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2012 06:58:41 AM »

Review last week:

I joined a little late in the festivities, but I did say that I wanted to eat more fruit and vegetables and to have breakfast and lunches more often.

So far, I've managed to have a breakfast for the past couple of days but lunches were few and far between. I think I'm getting there though, but it doesn't help I've not been feeling too well.

As for more vegetables, apart from one night of eating mcdonalds, I've managed to have something with vegetables for the past few nights. Fruit on the other hand, not so much.

Working on it though, hopefully going out and picking up some new fruit and veg I've never tried will help too.

Going to try out this recipe at some point http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-dishes/stir-fry/black-pepper-beef-and-rainbow-vegetable-stir-fry once I get a decent wok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish I had a angel, for one moment of love, I wish I had your angel, your virgin mary undone. I'm in love with my dust, burning angel wings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight. (Nightwish - I wish I had a angel)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon A650 IS: Getting Started
Canon A610/A620: Set White Balance Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Underwater Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...