A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,966
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sometimes it takes years to finish  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saranethx
« on: January 04, 2012 06:45:48 PM »

It took me about three years to make this dress. Well,  I started the dress 3 years ago and then put it in my fabric stash and didn't touch it until today.

While going through my stash I found the half completed dress. It's from simplicity 3823. I was never particularly thrilled with the construction of the bodice. It was just too much fabric and the way I sewed the bust gathers made the bodice look strange. In addition, I had decided to make the waist band a contrasting color and then decided that it was too obnoxious and ditched the whole dress.

But today something about the project spoke to me and I patiently used the afternoon to put it all together and I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I shorted the skirt to a 19" length and added wraps around the straps to change the neckline. The zipper isn't too pretty but it works. I decided against adding the slip since I want to be able to wear the dress in hot weather. I am still undecided about the waist band. Part of me feels like it's too thick but as I said early I am too lazy to change it.

Ok enough blabbing and on to pictures ( please excuse the photo quality. my camera died last week so I am using  an old, old digital camera):

A closer look at the bodice:

From the back:

It's not perfect by a long shot but I think I will get some use out of it. Comments and criticisms welcome.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012 08:54:04 PM by saranethx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
raewolo
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012 07:01:04 PM »

I see what you are saying about the waistband, but even if you keep it as is it'll be fine. You did great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gizzybird
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012 07:49:29 PM »

I think it's cute as is but if you're worried about the waistband, maybe if you have any of the darker fabric left you could make a some kind of belt that you could wear in the middle part of the waistband to break it up some (I was thinking of one that ties maybe). I'm having a hard time picturing what that would look like in my head but you could always try it with a belt you already own and see if you like the look better or not. Great job, it looks very well made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saranethx
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012 10:22:12 PM »

I think it's cute as is but if you're worried about the waistband, maybe if you have any of the darker fabric left you could make a some kind of belt that you could wear in the middle part of the waistband to break it up some (I was thinking of one that ties maybe).

Oh, I hadn't thought of that but I think I may try to figure something out. I should have enough extra fabric to make a belt. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darth_unicorn
Exar Kun

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012 07:59:05 PM »

I actually really like the wide waistband. I think it's very feminine and I love that yellow/gold color.

I think it's cute as is but if you're worried about the waistband, maybe if you have any of the darker fabric left you could make a some kind of belt that you could wear in the middle part of the waistband to break it up some (I was thinking of one that ties maybe).

I also think that is a good idea, but I think it would look best if the smaller piece was the same fabric as your dress. I think it may look a little busy if you got a fabric that was much different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sushi-Inspired California Roll Burger
Fresh Apple Pie Recipe
How to Make Compressed Watermelon Slices Infused With Vodka
3 Cool Watermelon Recipes for Labor Day
AOL Experts - Summer Wine Pairing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...