A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The one brief sugary moment that was known as "GINGERLOT"!  (Read 2782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tropicbird
« on: January 03, 2012 09:39:41 PM »

For this year's project, I wanted something big and different, and the idea of a castle hit me in late November. The end result a couple weeks later was a surprisingly grand but far-from-flawless fairytale castle which we named "Gingerlot". 

Several gingerbread houses I've designed and built in recent years, for and with the two grandchildren, were each different, fun and cute, but this time, without even trying, an actual story began to evolve around the structure which made it even more interesting and entertaining.

More challenging than a four-sided house, it required a few towers, some walls, a dungeon and a gatehouse with a drawbridge. Lots of ropey, red licorice candy served as "the moat".

And any castle worth its cookie-dough would need a dragon. Ours was "Gumdrg", breathing lots of orange-fruit-roll-up "fire".

My husband noted that if there's a dragon, the castle should be defended somehow, say with a catapult. So we made a cookie catapult complete with a nearby pile of perfect "projectiles"--just the right size of large, round, colorful candy balls--from a local sweet shop.

And wouldn't a small army of knights be needed to man the catapult?  What about a unicorn?

Just about every fairy tale has a queen and a king ....

... and a princess...

One thing led to another, often quite unexpectedly. When one of the knights was accidentally overbaked, he became "The Dark Knight".

The main cookie characters in the Medieval and Royal-Icing-ed scenario were taken from the real-life household. Daughter-in-law was "Queen Kathleen". Son was "Sir Jed the Elder"---who incidentally would be assured that he was actually the "True King Jed" after climbing the dungeon tower and removing "Excookibur" from the "stone".

Grandson Cedric chose to be the hero "Ranger" lurking in a dark recess.

His sister was "Princess Leah", and the family's female Labrador Retriever became "Lady Nahla", the Princess' Lady-In-Waiting. Nahla's real-life male Yellow Lab consort, Flash, (who figured prominently in last year's gingerbread entry) was "Sir Flash The-Not-So-Brave".

As Sir Flash and various knights within the castle were poised to slay Gumdrg on the other side of the wall, a mysterious Knight in Shining Cookie Dough was approaching on horseback to lend a hand.

Creating Gingerlot was ambitious and plagued with many imperfections of design and sloppiness of construction, but---as are all my gingerbread creations---it was 100% edible and absolutely delicious.

And that one brief sugary moment that was known as Gingerlot was so much fun while it lasted.

Thank you for allowing me to share this project and to inspire others.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012 10:24:55 PM »

WOW! AMAZING!!! And what an adorable story to go with it.
I love the dark knight, I love that you put him with Gumdrog as warning to other knights.
Sooo cool.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 10:28:25 PM by pazuzuspetals » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
Tropicbird
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012 06:27:50 AM »

Thanks!  What's so funny is how the story grew serendipitously. I'm not sure that will ever happen quite this way again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012 09:57:05 AM »

I absolutely love this! How fantastic! My favourite parts are the dragon, the shiny knight, and I just love the princess! What a fabulous job! The detail is so fun and it looks like you really enjoyed yourself! Well done! What a great Christmas memory for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012 11:19:42 AM »

This is fantastic!  I love how creative you got with all the characters and creating a story.  I bet that made it ten times more fun for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Maresy87
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012 05:11:01 PM »

I love the imagination and story that went with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012 06:01:37 PM »

Auntie, you are and always have been incredibly creative and I am proud to be your niece! Gingerlot totally rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
mommasfrogging
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012 08:53:32 PM »

I love this!!  I had to share with my kids and they loved it as well!!   So from us here...you have a resounding "4 thumbs up"!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelie
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012 10:56:47 AM »

I love the fruit roll up "fire"! The whole thing looks wonderful, and like it was a lot of fun to play with and to eat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Superhero Cape
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
How to Make Daffodil Decorations
How to Make Tissue Paper Carnations
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...