A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Novel Wreath and other stuff made from recycled books!  (Read 2312 times)
Tags for this thread: wreath , paper_flower , video_tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlueCherryFaerie
« on: January 03, 2012 08:31:28 PM »

I ran across this video on youtube and thought I'd give it a try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u3cpr8WcmM

I did several things differently though.

1. I wrapped my wreath form (which I got at the dollar store) in book pages. I figured I had plenty and if I didn't quite get the wreath covered in roses, then it wouldn't show.

2. The instructions tell you to make the roses using 3 book pages that are stacked together. I made different kinds of roses (I wanted smaller blossoms). I made some only using one page, some with 2 pages and some with 3 pages stacked.

3. I used regular scissors and fancy edge scissors for some of the cutting when I made the spiral cuts to give it different looks.

4. I used 2 different red ink pads and one silver ink pad to give some of the pages color before I cut the pages into spirals.

5. I used a very thin knitting needle (a skewer would work also) to start the wrapping process. It was just easier for me. I also put a little bit of glue on the paper when I began the spiral so that it stayed in place better. Just be sure you don't glue the paper to your knitting needle.

6. I used 2 different sized pearl beads also.

Here's a close-up:

I also made a small ornament doing the same technique. I just used smaller pieces of paper and I covered a styrofoam ball.

I was having so much fun with the book pages I decided to see what else I could make with them. But I also decided that ink was too expensive for this kind of project, so I decided to use watercolors instead. It went further and didn't cost nearly as much to paint the pages first and let them dry, then cut them or fold them into the shapes I wanted.

First I followed these directions: http://knittygrittythoughts.typepad.com/knitty_gritty_thoughts/2009/11/my-entry.html
but used book pages and hot glue to make this:

It really looks like an artichoke. I wanted to make one that was more of a pinecone shape so I had some plastic Easter eggs, used the watercolored paper and came up with this:

And for giggles here's an ornament I made using one of the watercolored pages beads and embroider floss:

I can't remember where I found the instructions for this one, but it was easy to make.

I was doing all this when I was supposed to be putting the finishing touches on my Christmas gifts I was making. Hey it was productive procrastination, LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012 01:05:57 AM »

I really like the flower wreath.  The colors are great...almost vintage goth-y looking.  What a fun project.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012 08:57:16 AM »

The paper flower wreath is so pretty, and thank you for sharing how you made your version. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
My Etsy
Help Fight Breast Cancer
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012 10:25:44 AM »

I like your flower paper wreath too! It is so beautiful!!

The roses are very pretty and I like the different colours and sizes! Well done.

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MollyGirl
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012 11:09:47 AM »

I love the wreath and OMG I almost died when I saw the last ornament.  My grammy and I used to make those every Christmas only we would cut out little birds to hang in the middle and decorate the outer loops with tiny little pears we cut out.  She called them partridges in a pear tree and we would hang them up all over the place!  Such nice memories.  Thanks for reminding me of my grammy! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012 07:23:59 PM »

Thanks so much everyone.  When I saw the instructions on youtube, I just had to try to make one.  I already had the wreath and a book, so I just took the plunge.  It was a pretty cheap craft to make but it took a while to make all of the roses.  I loved the look of the bookpages but wanted it to pop more, so I added color to the pages.  I love the way it turned out. 

I really like the flower wreath.  The colors are great...almost vintage goth-y looking.  What a fun project.  Thanks for sharing!

I was going for a bit of a gothic look so I guess I achieved my goal, LOL!  I'm doing my office/gameroom/library in gothic steampunk.  The wreath is going in there. 

I love the wreath and OMG I almost died when I saw the last ornament.  My grammy and I used to make those every Christmas only we would cut out little birds to hang in the middle and decorate the outer loops with tiny little pears we cut out.  She called them partridges in a pear tree and we would hang them up all over the place!  Such nice memories.  Thanks for reminding me of my grammy! Smiley

I'm glad I was able to make you think of your grammy.  I wish I was able to remember where I found the cutting instructions for making that one.  I'll look on my laptop and see if I can find the link there.  It was pretty easy to make, its just very fragile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012 03:49:46 PM »

I finally found the website for the instructions for the last ornament:
http://www.familychristmasonline.com/crafts/paper_crafts/simple_crafts/classic_paper_ornaments.htm
Hope this helps.  They are super easy to make, they are just delicate when made out of recycled book paper.

Oh and I donated the wreath to my son's school for a charity event they have coming up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012 03:51:08 PM by BlueCherryFaerie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013 07:37:40 AM »

~*Congrats! You have been pinned onto Craftster's Christmas Crafting Pinterest Board*~ Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Format Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Flash Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Delete Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Auto Mode Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...