A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I preshrink fabric?  (Read 758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2012 07:50:18 PM »

I went a little bit overboard at JoAnns on black friday and came away with about 25 yards of various printed flannels ($1.49 a yard, and a 25% off coupon, it would have been rude not to...). I've got a bunch of projects in mind, but someone told me flannel needs to be preshrunk, and I have no idea how to do it. Is it as simple as washing and drying at a high temperature?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012 09:20:11 PM »

Yep, that's pretty much it. Natural fibers like cotton, tend to shrink with washing/heat. Sometimes the feel of the fabric changes too (for example, some get softer because the chemicals applied to the fabrics to keep them looking smooth on the bolt are washed out). The idea is to wash and dry the fabric at least on the same setting as you plan to use with the finished items, but you can go hotter if the fabric can handle it because then you don't have to worry about the items shrinking more if someone throws them in a hot wash. You should be fine using hot water/dryer on flannel unless it has glitter on it or something like that, but I haven't worked with it before so I can't say from experience. (I know other cottons do just fine, though I don't dry on the hottest setting because I never use it when doing laundry normally).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jigdancer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012 05:59:06 PM »

Preshrinking helps to hide my fabric addiction too. My washer and dryer are at the backdoor, so I can just toss my purchases in the washer without having to bring them into the house and thereby avoid my husbands questions about it's purpose. If he notices, I just tell him I've had it for a while. Seriously, he's not that dumb but he kindly ignore my lame excuses. 25 yards would be a few loads however, with a lot of dryer lint! If you happen to have a serger, I might run the edges through to finish them a bit as flannel tends to unravel and you'll have a heckuva big knot of threads and fabric. You'll love the finished results though - homemade Jammie's are the cosiest! Have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012 05:54:51 PM »

Yeah, I *always* zig zag the ends of the fabric before prewashing. And I always wash my fabrics before using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Gadgets for Beautifying in Private
Dove Beauty Bar Review
Rose Gold Eyes Tutorial
Miley Cyrus Fronts MAC’s Viva Glam Campaign
8 Stunning Women Over 50 With Big Beauty Contracts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...