A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else into canning?  (Read 12500 times)
Tags for this thread: canning  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005 08:21:39 AM »

Pectin is something that's naturally in a lot of fruits, green apples have it in a high amount, and it causes the jellies and jams to "jell".  I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want to use the store bought kind... if anyone else has info on that, could they share?  But I know that in my experience, using the pectin recipes kind of make making jam fool proof.

FYI to everyone... I've been using this book I got from the library called Blue Ribbon Preserves and my husband and I like the recipes so much that I bought it from amazon to have a copy.  I got it for only $6 or so, and I really recommend it.  The author concetrates a lot on entering fairs and winning ribbons, which I found interesting, but the recipes turn out really well too.  My dad enjoyed our orange marmalade so much and said it was the best he'd eaten.  This book it pretty comprehensive too... we pretty much get the weekly ads, look to see what produce is dirt cheap that week, look it up in the index, and choose a recipe.  And no, before you ask, I'm not the author.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
rocketlettuce

my mommy is craftier than yer mommy! rice pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005 08:48:57 AM »

thanks for that reference Beppy! i'll check that book out.

i just got 25 wide mouth quart jars from a listing on Craigslist for $5 with new rings and lids! deal!! i'm so excited about making pickles since i've never done pickles. i think i'll make some peach jam too since our Colorado peaches are just arriving...i like the  idea of giving jam samplers for Xmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005 03:11:57 PM »

Pectin is something that's naturally in a lot of fruits, green apples have it in a high amount, and it causes the jellies and jams to "jell".  I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want to use the store bought kind... if anyone else has info on that, could they share?  But I know that in my experience, using the pectin recipes kind of make making jam fool proof.

I enjoy not using extra pectin (beyond what is in the fruit itself) for some recipes for 2 reasons:
1.  easier to scale the recipe to fit the amount of fruit I have
2.  softer jams/jellies that I can use in other recipes

As a side note, I'll add that I first started learning about recipes without store-bought pectin because I was interested in the historical recipes.  Some are just fun combinations of flavors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
amerigirl05
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005 03:15:48 PM »

Sorry that I haven't been able to chase down a salsa recipe; my mom has it "somewhere." Since we have so much left over from last year, we probably aren't even going to make an this year!

But today we're making dill beans! Mmmm. Pickled string beans and garlic... can't go wrong with that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocketlettuce

my mommy is craftier than yer mommy! rice pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2005 03:41:37 PM »

amerigirl05 - can i get that pickled beans/garlic recipe!!? it sounds wonderful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chipper
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2005 06:56:31 PM »

violet jelly... thanks for the memories.  i had a girl scout leader who took us camping every year the weekend of mother's day.  upon arrival at camp on friday evening we would all head out to pick violets, then head back to the cabin to make the jelly.  we used tiny jars that we would make cutesy covers for.  when we went home on sunday, we each had a jar of beautiful jelly for our moms.   i think i have a recipe, i'll have to poke around.  anyway thanks again for the great memory!!! Smiley
--chipper
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2005 07:02:25 PM »

I like making jams, chutneys, pickles (dill cucumbers and green tomatoes), herbal honey, tomato sauces, oiled preserves (mushrooms, garlic, olives...) and herb alcohol drinks...
I too haven't done vegetables because of the pressure cooking, but my boyfriend's mother mixes tomatoes and green beans with great results.
I can't wait until this fall when I can make some winter supplies!
There is a great book called 'The Herbal Pantry' all about canning with herbs... I highly recommend it if you are looking for something 'new' to try.

what is this herb alcahol drink you speak of?!!!!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gink
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2005 07:08:08 PM »

I'm so excited to find this thread! I don't have time to can things these days, but my best friend is in the midst of canning herbal tinctures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2005 08:24:28 PM »

Some fruits have pectin in abundance enough to not need extra during jelly-making.  Gooseberries, for instance.  Others have almost none.  Like Mulberries.  My mother's first couple batches of mulberry jelly turned into mulberry syrup even with store-bought pectin.  She's had to up the amount of pectin to compensate for the fruit's natural lack.  Really, the amount of added pectin you should use is dependant on the type of fruit you use.  The more natural pectin in the fruit, the less you have to add.  My mother's gooseberry jam used no added pectin, and jelled to perfection.  But when she cut gooseberry juice with wild plum, she had to add some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Ezri_B
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2005 09:48:10 AM »

Oh, I'm glad I found other canners! I just started 2 years ago, I have canned salsa, (2 different kinds because I like a fresher salsa, and my extended family like a more cooked heavier salsa.) Pepper jelly, very similar to the one posted, but it had jalapenos and stuff in it. I did try violet jelly last year (after tasting a friends,) but mine didn't taste as good. I desperately want a pressure canner, for soups and such, but not in the budget right now. I was planning on making pumpkin butter this year, I got a recipe last year and it said water bath, but now reading this I don't think I will. I don't have freezer room, so I'd have to can if I was to make it. Anyway, I would love if someone had a good recipe for garlic pickles or the dilly beans. Thanks!

Tab
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Perfect Hair Color at Home
Double Duty Beauty
GirlProps, Soho - NYC, New York
How to Do Your Highlights At Home
Celebrities Hair Stylist Ted Gibson Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...