A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else into canning?  (Read 12959 times)
Tags for this thread: canning  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dire female

holy salmon spawning in the river!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2005 01:38:37 AM »

I'm such a canning addict.  Been at it since the ripe age of 8 thanks to my childhood babysitter.  Favorite thing to do by far being apple butter and salsa.  Mason jars are such a gift to humanity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005 08:09:29 AM »

I haven't had much luck with apple butter.  I think I'll try salsa this summer.  Anyone have a favorite recipe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2005 07:14:28 AM »

so i'm a little confused-
what's the final word on the pumpkin butter?
canning yay or nay?
and if you were going to freeze instead, how would
that avoid the release of the toxin, or could you only
freeze for a few weeks?

Well, the only official information I could find anywhere says that canning any pumpkin or squash puree is unsafe.  The usda has canning guidelines and that's what they say.  But the second part of the question:  It's not unsafe because it releases any kind of toxin or something, but because the bacteria will grow if it is not all completely killed, and there is something about the puree that won't allow the canning heat to do that.  With freezing, the cold will kill all the bacteria, so there is no worry about botulism.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005 08:12:36 AM »

When my parents lived in the city, I spent time picking mulberries and gooseberries at a local park (it's OK to pick berries there) and my dad picked wild plums along a bike trail, and somehow they got their hands on a bunch of small green apples, too, and ever year for several years my mother canned jelly, mixing the juices in various ways.  HER mother used to can out of need.  My grandpa died when my mother was only 5, and my Oma was suddenly a German woman alone in America in the 1960's raising 3 children on her own.  She grew a garden and canned as much as they didn't eat during the summer, hoping to have enough to last the winter because they could barely afford to buy the meat and flour, etc. that they used outside the veggies and fruits.  So my mother learned to can early on, but never had much TO can and never had a need to, either.

Now that they've moved out to the acreage, and they grow a big garden and have wild fruit trees, my mother cans and freezes like the dickens.  I found her a Ball "Blue Book" from 1953, and she says that of all her collections of recipes from all her cookbooks new and old, the old Ball Blue Book recipes for pickles and tomatoes are the best.  She freezes green beans and corn, makes jellies of mulberry, wild plum, strawberry, cherry, etc., all but the cherry coming from her own gardens/woods, and she cans tomatoes, all manner of pickles, and so many various combinations I can't even count. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005 11:43:08 AM »

also, how long do things that are canned last?  my mother
used to make her own strawberry and raspberry preserves
and i used to sit in the kitchen with her, but i'm embarrassed to say
i never actually learned how to do it.  now i'd like to give it a try.

recommendations for a beginner recipe?  or is it all the same?

I've known canned items to last a few years, as long as the seal remains.  I'm not sure if there's any recommended time limit, but if it smells bad or doesn't look right, don't eat it.

Some canning jars as well as pectin packages come with recipes--those are generally easy to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005 04:34:15 PM »

Anyone else out here in craftster land into home canning with mason jars?  I just recently learned how to do jelly.  it's addictive.  I'm running out of people to give jelly to. Grin  I'm getting ready to try spaghetti sauce and salsa.

Tip on canning tomatoes:  SALT!

My mom canned a bunch of tomatoes, shortly after my dad had a heart attack, and she thought she'd make them low-sodium and not use salt.  Well, the jars exploded.  Luckily, her's exploded first, so she could call everyone she gave jars to to let them know that they should really have spagetti for dinner that night...  Grin

I'm helping my fiance's mother with her jam, pickle, and tomato sauce canning this summer.  It's rewarding and worth it, but, geez, it's a lot of work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
McJulie-O
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2005 08:13:36 AM »

I think my biggest "fear" with canning is that I'm afraid I'll do something wrong and end up getting/giving someone botulism in a jar.

OK, finally I know something about what I read on craftster. I actually have a degree in microbiology and maybe I can simplify some of this...

Botulism comes from a fairly common bacteria that can be vulnerable to heat, BUT they form spores which allow them to survive in a dormant state until exposed to conditions that can support their growth. Those spores can activate and produce dangerous toxins under non-adverse conditions.
From the CDC:
Foodborne botulism has often been from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets and corn. However, outbreaks of botulism from more unusual sources such as chopped garlic in oil, chile peppers, tomatoes, improperly handled baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil, and home-canned or fermented fish. Persons who do home canning should follow strict hygienic procedures to reduce contamination of foods. Oils infused with garlic or herbs should be refrigerated. Potatoes which have been baked while wrapped in aluminum foil should be kept hot until served or refrigerated. Because the botulism toxin is destroyed by high temperatures, persons who eat home-canned foods should consider boiling the food for 10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2005 04:51:30 PM »

I make flower jellies Smiley last year I made lilac and double flowering almond
this year I think I might make fireweed and goldenrod, some year if ever I can get enough violet blossoms I would like to make that because it is supposed to be a most outrageous purple color!  The almond blossoms were a very pale pink and turned into a deep candy shade of pink when done and tasted sorta tart like rhubarb,the lilac looked like very pale rootbeer when done it tasted very flowery but the ones I added clove and cinnamon to were delicious.  These jellies are not meant to be gobbed on toast but dabbed onto biscuits and toast points in a ladylike manner la dee da dee da Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gardenhoe
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2005 08:11:00 PM »

I started this year, so far i have only made strawberry jam, but I will be making peach jam and also salsa. For the salsa I am going to try the recipe, apparently its really good

Copied and pasted from recipezaar.com

Wonderful Salsa #9272http://www.recipezaar.com/9272

8  cups tomatoes, peeled,chopped and drained 
2 1/2  cups onions, chopped 
1 1/2  cups green peppers 
1  cup jalapeno peppers, chopped 
6  cloves garlic, minced 
2  teaspoons cumin 
2  teaspoons pepper 
1/8  cup canning salt 
1/3  cup sugar 
1/3  cup vinegar 
1 (15  ounce) can tomato sauce 
1 (12  ounce) can tomato paste 

Mix all together and bring to a slow boil for 10 min.
Seal in jars and cook in hot water bath for 10 min.
The cumin in this makes it hot so when I want a milder salsa I just omit the cumin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocketlettuce

my mommy is craftier than yer mommy! rice pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005 07:33:08 AM »

wow, i'm glad i found this string...i'm going to can hot pickles over Labor Day. made cherry jam over the 4th. the jam called for pectin which we (my neighbor and I ) used but we also made a cherry/pepper jam that did not have pectin. Both got cooked for about an hour or so but the pectin one definitely thickened and the pepper one did not. both taste wonderful! so what's the deal w/ using pectin? someone said something about a recipe that didn't use pectin (like that was a good thing). my mom canned a lot when i was a kid but i can't remember much about her recipes.

whoever has the pickled beans recipe, can you share? those sound delicious!

also, if anyone tries that salsa recipe, let us know how it works. it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
One-Pot Skillet Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
4 Simple and Tasty Breakfast Sandwiches
How To Upgrade Your BLT With a Simple Twist
How to Make Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
Herbed Home Fries Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...