A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else into canning?  (Read 12579 times)
Tags for this thread: canning  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nenokku

My three minions

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2007 07:12:19 PM »

I grew up canning everything from salsa to jellies. Every christmas I give away to friends what I did through the year. They make great gifts for coworkers too! I am fast running out of recipes though, so if someone would like to PM me their favorite recipe I would appreciate it!
Oh, this year my boss is  going to show me how to can apple pie filling.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
countrycarol
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2007 05:38:22 AM »

Yes! Yes! Yes, I love to can.  I used to can liquid foods, but now I've gotten into canning dry ingredients for giving as gifts in those old mason jars that I was storing in a closet.  First, I fill a jar with the dry ingredients of a recipe.  I then write the liquid ingredients, with the instructions for the recipe, on a card tag (fold one over if you need more room to write).  I punch a hole in the upper left corner of the tag, run a ribbon through it, and tie it around the top of the jar.  These make great gifts for any time of year.  Happy canning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2007 10:41:58 AM »

Yes! I love to can and do it continually through out the year. As a kid living in Alaska thats all we did Spring through summer was can for the winter. If it can be canned we canned it.

One of my favorite recipes is watermelon pickles! also my sister in law and I can a zucchini relish every year that is just absolutely fabulous! pasta sauce, salsa you name it. I love to can because that way I have total control of what goes into my family's belly.

What types of jelly are you making?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueprairie
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2007 01:07:37 PM »

Invest in 1) a pressure cooker and 2) "Putting Food By."

The book can be a little scary (the authors really are safety-conscious) but most of our pickle recipes come from there.

The spousal unit makes lime pickles, picallili, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.  I make bread and butter zuchinni pickles and old fashioned English-type mustard pickles. 

We also put up fruit for the winter, but we use the freezer for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amerigirl05
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2007 05:09:38 PM »

What are watermelon pickles? Is that like pickled watermelon? I'm very curious...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2007 07:49:22 AM »

Watermelon pickles are made out of the rind of the watermelon. When I was a kid the best melons to use were the very dark green ones. They are hard to get now days but any rind will do the thicker the better.
I usually make them on a whim basically when I come across a watermelon with good rind then guess what I stop and take the time to make them because it seems like with all the "genetic" growing they are doing watermelon rinds are very thin.

I like mine crunchy some like theirs soft. I also like to use a natural red food coloring and dye my bright red. I use lots of Cinnamon and they are a tangy sweet spicy taste.

watermelon pickles used to be very popular back east and many fish places served them. As people moved west they became popular where vast fields of watermelons were grown. The recipe I have that is my absolute favorite comes from the Colorado extention services my mom acquired it there when I was about 4 years old.

any more questions hit me back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitty mcknitknit

I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, down it goes

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2007 12:18:31 PM »

Here I am, hitting you back, Jlry-Lv-R! It's the last gasps of summer around here (thank god; i hate the heat) and I've been wanting to make watermelon pickles for a while. Yours sound wonderful. Care to share the recipe? :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diycrafter
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2007 09:35:52 AM »

Well, last year we made and canned many, many pints of strawberry preserves. It was the best we had ever tasted. (we may have been a bit biased Wink) We didn't get any strawberries this year because of the late freeze. We canned several quarts of pickled jalapeos this year, but we dried more hot peppers than we canned. I have some peppers drying in the dehydrator as we speak. I just love the look of dried cayenne peppers in a quart jar. There's a particular beauty about them scattered around the home. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2007 05:37:36 PM »

mmmmm strawberry! i hope i will have enough next year.
i just made a big batch of plum jam. i also grew waaaaaay too many pickling cukes, i was busy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
DorkyGemo
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2007 07:28:22 AM »

Ah, I love to can. I may get a bit cranky while doing it, but the outcome always makes me happy lol

This year my mom and I canned our usual pickles and tomatoes. I canned (by myself) peaches, and today I am gonna raid our apple trees and do some apple butter, apple pie filling, plain apples, and whatever else I can think of  Cheesy (Well I wont get everthing done today, But I'm starting on it  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
To Frack or Not To Frack: Russell Gold
The Sound by Sarah Alderson
The Science of What Makes Things Funny
This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...