A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Classic Grog..for adults  (Read 7964 times)
Tags for this thread: grog , recipe , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goomba
« on: January 03, 2012 05:55:27 PM »

It randomly got REALLY cold in Pennsylvania and I was in super need of something to warm my body....and my soul. Straight coffee was not helping, nor was tea so I turned to the only other option that made sense; my liquor cabinet.
Once open, the logical choice was rum but I wanted something slightly warm, but this tends to do strange things to the taste of liquor by itself. Started looking at my cookbooks trying to figure out what to do when I spotted a very old sea port based cookbook that had just what I wanted....GROG. Grog was traditionally made with British tea due to spice trade on those very ports which becomes the bases and brings in more flavors and allows one to enjoy with the ability to still stand up afterwords. So here is my recipe that I came up with after the research from those recipes in that book.

8oz freshly brewed English Tea
1/8c dark spiced rum
1 slices of orange
1 tsp sugar
1/2tsp lemon juice
cinnamon stick (optional)
orange peel garnish (optional)

Place Sugar in the bottom of a coffee mug, add the orange over top of it. Poor in Hot tea to dissolve the sugar. Add the rum. Mix in the lemon juice. Add garnishes and enjoy. Simple as that.

please note: this drink obviously contains alcohol. I do not support the consumption of such products by minors. Please enjoy responsibly.  Wink Grin
thanks for looking. *goomba*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012 06:05:20 PM »

Yum! I'll have to try this, thank you.

Here's a classic Canadian recipe for you (excellent for chills)

~ Blueberry Tea:

1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Gran Marnier
Deeply steeped Earl Grey tea
Orange slice for garnish

Pour alcohol into a brandy snifter and add tea to heat and taste. So flipping delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
InkedKnitter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012 06:32:52 PM »

Yum! I'll have to try this, thank you.

Here's a classic Canadian recipe for you (excellent for chills)

~ Blueberry Tea:

1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Gran Marnier
Deeply steeped Earl Grey tea
Orange slice for garnish

Pour alcohol into a brandy snifter and add tea to heat and taste. So flipping delicious.

How is this blueberry tea?

Both recipies sound yummy! Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012 06:35:49 PM »

I have NO idea! That's just what it's called. Weird eh? I think it's possible that it might have been served garnished with whole allspice or cloves which would have looked like blueberries maybe? Delicious hot tea drinks by any name are fantastic by me though, lol. I'm such a lush.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Goomba
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012 06:40:37 PM »

I have NO idea! That's just what it's called. Weird eh? I think it's possible that it might have been served garnished with whole allspice or cloves which would have looked like blueberries maybe? Delicious hot tea drinks by any name are fantastic by me though, lol. I'm such a lush.

this question is now something I am pondering which means I am going to research the heck out of it until I understand why.
I'm with you for sure though. Long Island Iced Tea, Grog....tea with booze?! Count me in! You can for sure count me in if that some drink has some sort of interesting history to it.

"Its name derives from its fruity taste, which some compare to blueberries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry_Tea_%28cocktail%29

makes sense to me
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 06:43:23 PM by Goomba - Reason: found information » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
pjr107
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012 06:53:26 PM »

Yummy looking!  Have to head over towards your house cause it's near by somewhere ( live in PA as well, near Philadelphia and no I'm not really going to show up...not THAT crazy... Smiley
BUT my DH and I brew mead (honey wine) and it's super easy and very tasty.  Other thing I make is mulled apple cider, which I keep warm in my crock pot during a party and the alcohol can be added in for just the adults.

16 cups apple cider ( juice works to)
1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp whole allspice
2 large cinnamon sticks
2 oranges studded with whole cloves (for garnish)

Heat over medium flame until it comes to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. Strain and serve with orange slices as garnish. 

Variations: 6 cups of apple or dry red wine (we have used any wine white or red as well as rum, vodka and schnapps.)
Also, add 6 cups orange juice ( or other favorite juices)  for additional flavor.

I don't strain my spices cause I'm really lazy... I just put a tea ball over the cup as it is poured in.   

Keep warm all!
-PJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012 06:55:59 PM »

I love this exchange of adult beverages we have going here.

pretty sure we will need to switch roles and I need to head to Philly then. I have a super giant interest in brewing mead but for one have never had it and don't want to spend a half year-year aging something that I may not like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012 07:24:27 PM »

Yum! I love "and my soul."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
InkedKnitter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012 08:12:09 PM »

Yummy looking!  Have to head over towards your house cause it's near by somewhere ( live in PA as well, near Philadelphia and no I'm not really going to show up...not THAT crazy... Smiley
BUT my DH and I brew mead (honey wine) and it's super easy and very tasty.  Other thing I make is mulled apple cider, which I keep warm in my crock pot during a party and the alcohol can be added in for just the adults.

16 cups apple cider ( juice works to)
1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp whole allspice
2 large cinnamon sticks
2 oranges studded with whole cloves (for garnish)

Heat over medium flame until it comes to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. Strain and serve with orange slices as garnish. 

Variations: 6 cups of apple or dry red wine (we have used any wine white or red as well as rum, vodka and schnapps.)
Also, add 6 cups orange juice ( or other favorite juices)  for additional flavor.

I don't strain my spices cause I'm really lazy... I just put a tea ball over the cup as it is poured in.   

Keep warm all!
-PJ

What is the difference between apple cider and juice? I know that the cider in non alcoholic (unlike in the UK) but I assumed it was the same as juice.

Also.. does Long island iced tea have tea in it?? In the UK it is a cold alcoholic cocktail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012 08:21:44 PM »

Apple Cider is unfiltered.

if it's clear and tan you've got juice. If it's mercy and brown you've got cider.

please Craftster...post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZVZ-2k6Po
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matching Buttons with Fabrics
How to Crochet a Bobble Stitch
How to Crochet Popcorn Stitch
Pottery Making: Learn Throwing
Pottery Making: How Does Glaze Firing Work
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...