A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Classic Grog..for adults  (Read 7669 times)
Tags for this thread: grog , recipe , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pjr107
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012 05:55:09 PM »

I love this exchange of adult beverages we have going here.

pretty sure we will need to switch roles and I need to head to Philly then. I have a super giant interest in brewing mead but for one have never had it and don't want to spend a half year-year aging something that I may not like.

I'm assuming you're in Pitt ... When we head out to cedar point in Ohio for the summer I'll bring a bottle for you to try.... Don't think the post office would want use to mail it... Smiley we make ours from kits but very once in a while we "add" to the recipe!

That buttered rum sounds yummy ESP since my son's bedroom is so freaking cold you can see your breath! The door was shut all day and oh boy is it cold in here! About another 30min and huge difference but until then, the dog and four blankets can cover us!

Then I'll go make some yummy warm drink before bed.  My DH has been making me a Carmel apple martini and oh boy is it good. I know it as apple schnapps and some sort of carmel liqueor, have to read the bottle.

-pj  

I'd be completely ok with a visit!  I'd love to meet you.  (Goomba is my wonderful other half.)

HEY!!! that's cheating!!!! I *KNOW* where you live Smiley  Ok, have to make a new batch and we can celebrate your new place from what, last year or something like that...
He does beer too if you want to try that?  That's where we started cause we didn't want to brew and not like doing the process.  It's prob one of the few times I get him into the kitchen beside when I try and make pasta...
there is some commercial meads on the market but I really don't think they taste as good as ours.  I'm not a big dry/tart fan.... I like things sweet.  I'm one of those who will ruin a great glass of Champaign by adding ginger ale to it.  
and yes, we've even done a ginger ale for the kids Smiley

-PJ

and visiting Philly is fine by me!  me casa et sue casa (who's sue?)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 05:56:29 PM by pjr107 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012 06:46:24 PM »

Slightly related (and slightly random) but I was watching Alton Brown's "Punch" show the other day on alcoholic punches and he did a sailor type punch that had a base of tea and he claims that's the ancestor of the Long Island Iced Tea. He said olden times punches were 1 part sour (lime juice), 2 parts sweet (sugar), 3 parts strong (booze), and 4 parts weak (tea), and also a fifth thing was spice (nutmeg). Kind of interesting, but I love his show.

Honestly, that is where I based the mod of mine from. I own every Godd Eats Episode / all the books so the research kinda happened by mistake.

I love this exchange of adult beverages we have going here.

pretty sure we will need to switch roles and I need to head to Philly then. I have a super giant interest in brewing mead but for one have never had it and don't want to spend a half year-year aging something that I may not like.

I'm assuming you're in Pitt ... When we head out to cedar point in Ohio for the summer I'll bring a bottle for you to try.... Don't think the post office would want use to mail it... Smiley we make ours from kits but very once in a while we "add" to the recipe!

That buttered rum sounds yummy ESP since my son's bedroom is so freaking cold you can see your breath! The door was shut all day and oh boy is it cold in here! About another 30min and huge difference but until then, the dog and four blankets can cover us!

Then I'll go make some yummy warm drink before bed.  My DH has been making me a Carmel apple martini and oh boy is it good. I know it as apple schnapps and some sort of carmel liqueor, have to read the bottle.

-pj   

I'm not big on flavoring martinis but that does sound pretty great for a cold night.
I'm always down to meet folks, even more so if there is something tasty involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
MASCmanik

Crazy is my sustenance.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012 06:51:28 PM »

1. Thank you for posting a delicious sounding recipe!
2. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread/post - it was 6 degrees here the other day and I'm craving something hot & tasty that will warm my belly too!
3. Mead is delicious, like alcoholic honey, my FIL brews and I always want to take home a bottle when we visit, maybe I will next time ...
4. Definitely trying some of this inspiration this weekend, huzzah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bubbles create rainbows through positive interference.
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012 08:42:22 AM »

Baha, that Simpsons episode is exactly what I thought of when I saw that question posted. Well played, sir.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freedy
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012 10:49:26 PM »

It randomly got REALLY cold in Pennsylvania and I was in super need of something to warm my body....and my soul. Straight coffee was not helping, nor was tea so I turned to the only other option that made sense; my liquor cabinet.
Once open, the logical choice was rum but I wanted something slightly warm, but this tends to do strange things to the taste of liquor by itself. Started looking at my cookbooks trying to figure out what to do when I spotted a very old sea port based cookbook that had just what I wanted....GROG. Grog was traditionally made with British tea due to spice trade on those very ports which becomes the bases and brings in more flavors and allows one to enjoy with the ability to still stand up afterwords. So here is my recipe that I came up with after the research from those recipes in that book.

8oz freshly brewed English Tea
1/8c dark spiced rum
1 slices of orange
1 tsp sugar
1/2tsp lemon juice
cinnamon stick (optional)
orange peel garnish (optional)

Place Sugar in the bottom of a coffee mug, add the orange over top of it. Poor in Hot tea to dissolve the sugar. Add the rum. Mix in the lemon juice. Add garnishes and enjoy. Simple as that.

please note: this drink obviously contains alcohol. I do not support the consumption of such products by minors. Please enjoy responsibly.  Wink Grin
thanks for looking. *goomba*

I have never tasted this one before. I have to try this one out. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Kampai!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

social media marketing toronto is an internet marketing company Toronto that provides professional Web Design Services, SEM, Search Engine Optimization, Internet Marketing.
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012 03:58:27 PM »

Check it out! Great minds think alike Cheesy.

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2012/01/recipe_old_fashioned.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+craftzine+%28CRAFT%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Goomba
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012 04:35:38 PM »

That's actually my "usual"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
mel4576
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012 06:22:09 AM »

Sounds like that will keep you warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012 12:55:33 PM »

Very interesting. I remember hearing about it before but had not tried it. I did make hot buttered rum once and a hot toddy. I will have to try that one. Although, maybe with a homemade vanilla spice rum as I am allergic to cinnamon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012 09:07:23 PM »

Inkedknitter;

It's called Blueberry Tea because it tastes like blueberries I think.
(Near the end of the second teacupful you do not worry about what it tastes like. Just that you are warm!)

I've only ever had it made with Amaretto on its own (no Grand Marnier), and with ordinary tea (not Earl Grey). And we probably skimped on the orange slice too. (BG)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Like 50 Shades of Grey in Lingerie Line
Would You Wear a Denim Onesie Like Rachel Bilson?
DIY a Not So Ugly Christmas Sweater!
Top 8 Ways to Add Sparkle to Your Style
Top 5 Ugly Sweaters for the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...