A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Classic Grog..for adults  (Read 7597 times)
Tags for this thread: grog , recipe , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goomba
« on: January 03, 2012 05:55:27 PM »

It randomly got REALLY cold in Pennsylvania and I was in super need of something to warm my body....and my soul. Straight coffee was not helping, nor was tea so I turned to the only other option that made sense; my liquor cabinet.
Once open, the logical choice was rum but I wanted something slightly warm, but this tends to do strange things to the taste of liquor by itself. Started looking at my cookbooks trying to figure out what to do when I spotted a very old sea port based cookbook that had just what I wanted....GROG. Grog was traditionally made with British tea due to spice trade on those very ports which becomes the bases and brings in more flavors and allows one to enjoy with the ability to still stand up afterwords. So here is my recipe that I came up with after the research from those recipes in that book.

8oz freshly brewed English Tea
1/8c dark spiced rum
1 slices of orange
1 tsp sugar
1/2tsp lemon juice
cinnamon stick (optional)
orange peel garnish (optional)

Place Sugar in the bottom of a coffee mug, add the orange over top of it. Poor in Hot tea to dissolve the sugar. Add the rum. Mix in the lemon juice. Add garnishes and enjoy. Simple as that.

please note: this drink obviously contains alcohol. I do not support the consumption of such products by minors. Please enjoy responsibly.  Wink Grin
thanks for looking. *goomba*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012 06:05:20 PM »

Yum! I'll have to try this, thank you.

Here's a classic Canadian recipe for you (excellent for chills)

~ Blueberry Tea:

1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Gran Marnier
Deeply steeped Earl Grey tea
Orange slice for garnish

Pour alcohol into a brandy snifter and add tea to heat and taste. So flipping delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
InkedKnitter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012 06:32:52 PM »

Yum! I'll have to try this, thank you.

Here's a classic Canadian recipe for you (excellent for chills)

~ Blueberry Tea:

1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Gran Marnier
Deeply steeped Earl Grey tea
Orange slice for garnish

Pour alcohol into a brandy snifter and add tea to heat and taste. So flipping delicious.

How is this blueberry tea?

Both recipies sound yummy! Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012 06:35:49 PM »

I have NO idea! That's just what it's called. Weird eh? I think it's possible that it might have been served garnished with whole allspice or cloves which would have looked like blueberries maybe? Delicious hot tea drinks by any name are fantastic by me though, lol. I'm such a lush.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012 06:40:37 PM »

I have NO idea! That's just what it's called. Weird eh? I think it's possible that it might have been served garnished with whole allspice or cloves which would have looked like blueberries maybe? Delicious hot tea drinks by any name are fantastic by me though, lol. I'm such a lush.

this question is now something I am pondering which means I am going to research the heck out of it until I understand why.
I'm with you for sure though. Long Island Iced Tea, Grog....tea with booze?! Count me in! You can for sure count me in if that some drink has some sort of interesting history to it.

"Its name derives from its fruity taste, which some compare to blueberries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry_Tea_%28cocktail%29

makes sense to me
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 06:43:23 PM by Goomba - Reason: found information » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
pjr107
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012 06:53:26 PM »

Yummy looking!  Have to head over towards your house cause it's near by somewhere ( live in PA as well, near Philadelphia and no I'm not really going to show up...not THAT crazy... Smiley
BUT my DH and I brew mead (honey wine) and it's super easy and very tasty.  Other thing I make is mulled apple cider, which I keep warm in my crock pot during a party and the alcohol can be added in for just the adults.

16 cups apple cider ( juice works to)
1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp whole allspice
2 large cinnamon sticks
2 oranges studded with whole cloves (for garnish)

Heat over medium flame until it comes to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. Strain and serve with orange slices as garnish. 

Variations: 6 cups of apple or dry red wine (we have used any wine white or red as well as rum, vodka and schnapps.)
Also, add 6 cups orange juice ( or other favorite juices)  for additional flavor.

I don't strain my spices cause I'm really lazy... I just put a tea ball over the cup as it is poured in.   

Keep warm all!
-PJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012 06:55:59 PM »

I love this exchange of adult beverages we have going here.

pretty sure we will need to switch roles and I need to head to Philly then. I have a super giant interest in brewing mead but for one have never had it and don't want to spend a half year-year aging something that I may not like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012 07:24:27 PM »

Yum! I love "and my soul."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
InkedKnitter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012 08:12:09 PM »

Yummy looking!  Have to head over towards your house cause it's near by somewhere ( live in PA as well, near Philadelphia and no I'm not really going to show up...not THAT crazy... Smiley
BUT my DH and I brew mead (honey wine) and it's super easy and very tasty.  Other thing I make is mulled apple cider, which I keep warm in my crock pot during a party and the alcohol can be added in for just the adults.

16 cups apple cider ( juice works to)
1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp whole allspice
2 large cinnamon sticks
2 oranges studded with whole cloves (for garnish)

Heat over medium flame until it comes to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. Strain and serve with orange slices as garnish. 

Variations: 6 cups of apple or dry red wine (we have used any wine white or red as well as rum, vodka and schnapps.)
Also, add 6 cups orange juice ( or other favorite juices)  for additional flavor.

I don't strain my spices cause I'm really lazy... I just put a tea ball over the cup as it is poured in.   

Keep warm all!
-PJ

What is the difference between apple cider and juice? I know that the cider in non alcoholic (unlike in the UK) but I assumed it was the same as juice.

Also.. does Long island iced tea have tea in it?? In the UK it is a cold alcoholic cocktail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012 08:21:44 PM »

Apple Cider is unfiltered.

if it's clear and tan you've got juice. If it's mercy and brown you've got cider.

please Craftster...post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZVZ-2k6Po
THIS ROCKS   Logged

InkedKnitter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012 08:24:34 PM »

Apple Cider is unfiltered.

if it's clear and tan you've got juice. If it's mercy and brown you've got cider.

please Craftster...post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZVZ-2k6Po

HAHA love it! Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012 08:45:30 PM »

does Long island iced tea have tea in it?? In the UK it is a cold alcoholic cocktail.

Nope! Not a drop of tea at all.

And let me tell you, Blueberry Tea tastes of oranges, not blueberries. I don't get it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 08:46:22 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012 08:48:01 PM »

does Long island iced tea have tea in it?? In the UK it is a cold alcoholic cocktail.

Nope! Not a drop of tea at all.

And let me tell you, Blueberry Tea tastes of oranges, not blueberries. I don't get it.

no it doesn't traditionally contain tea and due to that reason, I sorta reworked a basic recipe of it cause it didn't make sense to me. So mine does, and I call it the same thing. hahaha

very strange. I may have to make one at some point just to find out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012 01:17:16 AM »

I love my hot toddies but this looks very yummy too. I never realized that grog was made with tea. I always figured it was like a rum version of moonshine or something haha.

I made up a godfather type concoction that's nice and warm too if anyone's interested. Godfather's are my go-to drink but since it's starting to get cold out I tried to find a way to make it hot. This is probably a drink already and I don't even know it  Cheesy
- 1 part Amaretto
- 1 part scotch
- pinch of ground cloves
- hot/steamed milk (I used my espresso steamer)
- garnish with some cinnamon
Yeah it's very sweet but mmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012 06:17:44 AM »

Have you had hot buttered rum? I thought it would be disgusting, I mean BUTTER in a drink? Ugh. But it's not, it's delicious. There are quite a few recipes online but I'd recommend the very basic until you know if you like it or not. I predict you will!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarachk
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012 09:51:08 AM »

Well, thank you for sharing! Sounds delish! (As does the other recipe that someone sweetly sumbitted in your comments). I sure could use a cup of that right NOW! It is FREEZING up in this cubicle farm of mine. It is just too bad that I answer phones for a living, haha! Might not sound so nice when I answer if I am all loopy and droopy, LMAO! When I get home tonight though... that's when I get to raid our brand new liquor fridge!! WOOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
Goomba
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012 10:47:25 AM »

Have you had hot buttered rum? I thought it would be disgusting, I mean BUTTER in a drink? Ugh. But it's not, it's delicious. There are quite a few recipes online but I'd recommend the very basic until you know if you like it or not. I predict you will!

I got bored of Rum and Rootbeer one night and decided to just make some buttered Rum....OH MY...let me tell you why my bottle of rum is almost empty....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjr107
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012 06:36:55 PM »

pretty sure we will need to switch roles and I need to head to Philly then. I have a super giant interest in brewing mead but for one have never had it and don't want to spend a half year-year aging something that I may not like.

I'm assuming you're in Pitt ... When we head out to cedar point in Ohio for the summer I'll bring a bottle for you to try.... Don't think the post office would want use to mail it... Smiley we make ours from kits but very once in a while we "add" to the recipe!

That buttered rum sounds yummy ESP since my son's bedroom is so freaking cold you can see your breath! The door was shut all day and oh boy is it cold in here! About another 30min and huge difference but until then, the dog and four blankets can cover us!

Then I'll go make some yummy warm drink before bed.  My DH has been making me a Carmel apple martini and oh boy is it good. I know it as apple schnapps and some sort of carmel liqueor, have to read the bottle.

-pj   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012 10:05:21 PM »

Slightly related (and slightly random) but I was watching Alton Brown's "Punch" show the other day on alcoholic punches and he did a sailor type punch that had a base of tea and he claims that's the ancestor of the Long Island Iced Tea. He said olden times punches were 1 part sour (lime juice), 2 parts sweet (sugar), 3 parts strong (booze), and 4 parts weak (tea), and also a fifth thing was spice (nutmeg). Kind of interesting, but I love his show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MeganCrafts

I can't stop swapping! I think I have a problem.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012 11:19:05 AM »

I'm assuming you're in Pitt ... When we head out to cedar point in Ohio for the summer I'll bring a bottle for you to try.... Don't think the post office would want use to mail it... Smiley we make ours from kits but very once in a while we "add" to the recipe!

That buttered rum sounds yummy ESP since my son's bedroom is so freaking cold you can see your breath! The door was shut all day and oh boy is it cold in here! About another 30min and huge difference but until then, the dog and four blankets can cover us!

Then I'll go make some yummy warm drink before bed.  My DH has been making me a Carmel apple martini and oh boy is it good. I know it as apple schnapps and some sort of carmel liqueor, have to read the bottle.

-pj   

I'd be completely ok with a visit!  I'd love to meet you.  (Goomba is my wonderful other half.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/megancrafts

Swaps:
Taking a break. Would consider small personal swaps.
pjr107
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012 05:55:09 PM »

Then I'll go make some yummy warm drink before bed.  My DH has been making me a Carmel apple martini and oh boy is it good. I know it as apple schnapps and some sort of carmel liqueor, have to read the bottle.

-pj  

I'd be completely ok with a visit!  I'd love to meet you.  (Goomba is my wonderful other half.)

HEY!!! that's cheating!!!! I *KNOW* where you live Smiley  Ok, have to make a new batch and we can celebrate your new place from what, last year or something like that...
He does beer too if you want to try that?  That's where we started cause we didn't want to brew and not like doing the process.  It's prob one of the few times I get him into the kitchen beside when I try and make pasta...
there is some commercial meads on the market but I really don't think they taste as good as ours.  I'm not a big dry/tart fan.... I like things sweet.  I'm one of those who will ruin a great glass of Champaign by adding ginger ale to it.  
and yes, we've even done a ginger ale for the kids Smiley

-PJ

and visiting Philly is fine by me!  me casa et sue casa (who's sue?)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 05:56:29 PM by pjr107 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goomba
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012 06:46:24 PM »

Slightly related (and slightly random) but I was watching Alton Brown's "Punch" show the other day on alcoholic punches and he did a sailor type punch that had a base of tea and he claims that's the ancestor of the Long Island Iced Tea. He said olden times punches were 1 part sour (lime juice), 2 parts sweet (sugar), 3 parts strong (booze), and 4 parts weak (tea), and also a fifth thing was spice (nutmeg). Kind of interesting, but I love his show.

Honestly, that is where I based the mod of mine from. I own every Godd Eats Episode / all the books so the research kinda happened by mistake.

-pj   

I'm not big on flavoring martinis but that does sound pretty great for a cold night.
I'm always down to meet folks, even more so if there is something tasty involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MASCmanik

Crazy is my sustenance.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012 06:51:28 PM »

1. Thank you for posting a delicious sounding recipe!
2. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread/post - it was 6 degrees here the other day and I'm craving something hot & tasty that will warm my belly too!
3. Mead is delicious, like alcoholic honey, my FIL brews and I always want to take home a bottle when we visit, maybe I will next time ...
4. Definitely trying some of this inspiration this weekend, huzzah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bubbles create rainbows through positive interference.
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012 08:42:22 AM »

Baha, that Simpsons episode is exactly what I thought of when I saw that question posted. Well played, sir.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freedy
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012 10:49:26 PM »

It randomly got REALLY cold in Pennsylvania and I was in super need of something to warm my body....and my soul. Straight coffee was not helping, nor was tea so I turned to the only other option that made sense; my liquor cabinet.
Once open, the logical choice was rum but I wanted something slightly warm, but this tends to do strange things to the taste of liquor by itself. Started looking at my cookbooks trying to figure out what to do when I spotted a very old sea port based cookbook that had just what I wanted....GROG. Grog was traditionally made with British tea due to spice trade on those very ports which becomes the bases and brings in more flavors and allows one to enjoy with the ability to still stand up afterwords. So here is my recipe that I came up with after the research from those recipes in that book.

8oz freshly brewed English Tea
1/8c dark spiced rum
1 slices of orange
1 tsp sugar
1/2tsp lemon juice
cinnamon stick (optional)
orange peel garnish (optional)

Place Sugar in the bottom of a coffee mug, add the orange over top of it. Poor in Hot tea to dissolve the sugar. Add the rum. Mix in the lemon juice. Add garnishes and enjoy. Simple as that.

please note: this drink obviously contains alcohol. I do not support the consumption of such products by minors. Please enjoy responsibly.  Wink Grin
thanks for looking. *goomba*

I have never tasted this one before. I have to try this one out. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Kampai!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

social media marketing toronto is an internet marketing company Toronto that provides professional Web Design Services, SEM, Search Engine Optimization, Internet Marketing.
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012 03:58:27 PM »

Check it out! Great minds think alike Cheesy.

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2012/01/recipe_old_fashioned.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+craftzine+%28CRAFT%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012 04:35:38 PM »

That's actually my "usual"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mel4576
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012 06:22:09 AM »

Sounds like that will keep you warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012 12:55:33 PM »

Very interesting. I remember hearing about it before but had not tried it. I did make hot buttered rum once and a hot toddy. I will have to try that one. Although, maybe with a homemade vanilla spice rum as I am allergic to cinnamon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012 09:07:23 PM »

Inkedknitter;

It's called Blueberry Tea because it tastes like blueberries I think.
(Near the end of the second teacupful you do not worry about what it tastes like. Just that you are warm!)

I've only ever had it made with Amaretto on its own (no Grand Marnier), and with ordinary tea (not Earl Grey). And we probably skimped on the orange slice too. (BG)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sxyskeksis
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012 04:11:24 PM »

Mead is amazing and do not judge it by whats on the market (usually Chaucer's) which is usually honey wine which is technically different than mead.

Grog is such an old name that it's applied to a lot of drinks, almost always rum based. If I remember correctly it's thought that originally it was rum and water (or drinkable equivalent of the day) that was given to sailors as part of their rations.

As I used to perform as a pirate to me grog is rum, rum, rum, with a little more rum in it!! But this sounds delicious and sure makes me wish I had some rum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013 08:54:12 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013 08:13:18 PM »

Ohhh!! Happy to find this project! Perfect for winter time. I want one right now Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013 09:50:13 PM »

I just made myself a glass, yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013 08:41:53 PM »

Well, don't I feel awesome right now!?
no really, I do. Thanks so much. Cheers every one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013 01:54:18 PM »

Well, don't I feel awesome right now!?
no really, I do. Thanks so much. Cheers every one!

Thank you! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013 04:58:06 AM »

Now I need some tea with booze.  Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013 09:27:28 AM »

Thanks for the Grog recipe. I have PMed you if you are interested in mead making, locally.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Hair Shine
Hair Color Products Recommendations
Dealing with an Oily Scalp
Beauty Post Blowdrying Tip
How to Volumize Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...