A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: St Margaret's Church, Keddington  (Read 3036 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancingnymph
« on: January 03, 2012 01:39:26 PM »

There is a story behind this, so I shall start there. My boyfriend is an architect. This year he finally qualified after seven and a half years of higher education. He has also finally got planning permission on this Grade II* listed Saxon church, which was under threat of demolition. As he has around 4 times my income and only really wants building materials and property for Christmas I decided to make his little church to scale in gingerbread.

Here she is, with her new roof:

And here she is - in gingerbread.

Alongside the challenge of it all being edible I had a few extra challenges:
  • Avoid being strangled by my mother for obliterating her kitchen over Christmas
    Not make it too sweet, because then my boyfriend's family wouldn't like it
    Manage on a budget with no access to a proper supermarket

After last year's gingerbread nativity ended up being held together with bits of wire and lolly sticks I discovered that cookie gingerbread and structurally sound gingerbread are rather different. So I looked up a new recipe and found most of the ingredients. Unfortunately I didn't realise that I was meant to level off the tablespoons of golden syrup. So I ended up adding more flour until I had a spare mountain of gingerbread dough (which turned into a nativity for my Dad):

I was once again worried about the structural stability of my gingerbread. With the help of my Dad and his blowtorch I made candy cane RSJs to support the structure:

After lots of measuring from photos and the one plan I could find I worked out the scale of the building, made a template and made pieces out of gingerbread:

After making all 20 odd pieces I managed to spectacularly drop the box they were in onto the kitchen floor. Luckily the floor was clean(thanks Mum) and despite my scream that left me with a sore throat for 2 days and woke my parents only two pieces broke and I 'cemented' them back together.

I wanted to use boiled sweets for the windows but couldn't get hold of any(well, not in my budget) so I melted gummy bears, which look really good as Victorian glazing. The burns to my fingers weren't too nice though.

I also did some stained glass ones from coloured gummy bears for the right windows. I made the roof tiles as accurately as possible by using coursed(different sized slates, getting smaller as they go upwards) 'slates' from milk chocolate over the Nave to represent the Westmoorland slate and regimented dark chocolate slates on all of the other rooves to be Welsh slate. I also cut little crosses out of the brown part of square dolly mixtures for finials and put a jelly dolly mixture bell in the bellcote.

So here it is held together with RSJs and the Welsh slate rooves on:

There is also the only light we could find - a red tinged bike light that made the church look warm and glowing. Fixing it down was a challenge and we drilled a whole in the base to poke a pen up to switch it on. It also has a flashing mode that the children loved because they thought it looked like the church was on fire.

And here it is with the roof on...

You can see that I went over the white sticking icing with my fudge icing to make it look like lime mortar and round the edges of the windows with a piping syringe to make the window edging look like sculpted stone. I also did some 'leading' with black writing icing.

I had a bit of a job putting the cola drain pip on so I used breadsticks to act as acroprops while the icing dried:

There are some other little details like the dolly mixture and angelica tree ferns (his favourite plants) and the couscous and white chocolate path, which looks just like the new path he's just had laid.

Phew, sorry there's not pictures with the lights on. We had to put it out of reach of my niece quite quickly and I didn't get a chance. Christmas with an immediate family of 10 is hectic!

Hope you like it. It was rather a mission but I'm glad I finally have something that I'm not ashamed to post.

xxx
[/list]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 01:43:58 PM by dancingnymph » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012 02:24:15 PM »

I adore scale models and that one is beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012 03:26:16 PM »

Wow!! Great work. I love the idea of melting gummy bears for the windows. So clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012 03:34:21 PM »

Amazing! I love your attention to detail, especially with things like the roof tiles. The original church is very beautiful too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Tropicbird
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012 09:44:41 PM »

I, too, love your attention to detail! Excellent work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012 09:03:32 AM »

Wow!  I hope he appreciates all your effort!  The candy cane supports are brilliant!  It makes me want to make a gingerbread house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have boxes of vintage piano music.  Some as old as 1890's!  PM me if you'd like some!
mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012 08:37:10 AM »

I agree with the candy cane supports! Now That's thinking! I also really like the gummy bear melted windows, the idea of melting sugar to do them intimidates me, but this looks cool. I think the milk Chocolate Slate roof works really well and totally looks like it should. Great job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChristyBeth
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 02:11:31 PM »

So did the fiance adore it?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingnymph
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012 08:07:12 PM »

Fiance? Not quite!

He liked the lights and the cous cous/white chocolate path. I really wish I had better pictures, especially with the lights on - it makes the windows look really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingnymph
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012 05:01:53 PM »

Now going into April my boyfriend and his family have still not eaten Gingerbread Keddington. We did some planting at the real one today and I'm going to order a tree fern (represented by the dolly mixture with angelica) for him for his birthday - I don't think is would be safe to give him anything edible again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Loaded Potato Soup
How to make Creole Gumbo
How to make Pizza
How to make Loaded Potato Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...