A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cutting mat  (Read 1509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daizyduke
« on: January 03, 2012 09:01:51 AM »

When cutting fabirc, how important is a cutting mat? They are really expensive.  Can I use something else like a piece of cardboard. I don't want to ruin my blade though. Thanks.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
amalgam
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012 11:00:44 AM »

I'm no expert, but I have made several quilts and a cutting mat is really handy for cutting fabric. Cardboard won't really work since you actually cut into the mat. If you're making a scrap quilt you can probably get away without a mat. Otherwise wait until there's a sale or you have a coupon for your local sewing supply store. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012 04:59:05 PM »

I agree with amalgam that a cutting mat is really handy unless you cut everything with scissors and then it's not necessary but that takes WAY longer.  It's worth it to save up for one or wait until one comes on sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012 06:07:38 PM »

Rotary cutters will carve up cardboard. . .  and the cardboard will dull your blades. . . and blades are also pretty expensive.  Are you in the US and are you near either a JoAnn's or Walmart?  Walmart's standard prices are probably better than JoAnn's, but JoAnn's gives out a lot of 40% off coupons, and an occasional 50% off coupon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012 06:20:12 PM »

Also keep in mind that there are varying cutting mats - a fiskars is going to be less than some other brands, for example, and the size also plays into the cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daizyduke
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012 09:22:29 AM »

Does Ikea sell cutting mats? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012 12:59:51 PM »

Buy your blades in bulk on eBay and to do a quickie sharpening of your blades and scissors, grab a piece of aluminum foil and cut that baby up.  I slice it in to tiny slices or chop with my shears.  It is not perfect, but you can certainly get more life out of them!
Besides, what were you gonna do with that left over foil, anyway?

I use my old blades for my paper projects.  Get one cutting mat now that is at least a square foot in size, if you are a beginner.  You'll find deals on others in the future.  I have several now and some are plastic and some are the coated Olfa ones.  I have found the Olfa one to be better, but my plastic one is HUGE.  Don't spend much now--get the feel for stuff and then buy only as you need stuff.  I promise you, you will have a giant collection of crap you don't use much before too long.

(I just used a rotary cutter with an old blade for making some cards since I don't have an official paper cutter.  Works like a charm!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
weluvzombies
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012 09:14:38 PM »

Smaller mats are cheaper but a huge pain in the booty if your cutting some major yardage. Start small at Wal-Mart you can get a fair sized one for under $20. I have a small and a large one. You don't have to replace them often especially if you get a self healing mat (which I do not have) but they are more expensive. It's worth the investment. I have had mine for over 5 years and they still work fine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gridded-Cutting-Mat/17338144
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012 10:52:56 AM »

You don't have to replace them often especially if you get a self healing mat (which I do not have) but they are more expensive. It's worth the investment. I have had mine for over 5 years and they still work fine.
If you take care of your mats, they will last a long time.  I've had two of my cutting mats for 20 years now.  I dropped the larger one a few months ago, and one of the corners broke off. . .  but, hey, I've had it for 20 years - cannot complain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
FabricFun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012 05:03:43 AM »

Another trick to get some more life out of your blade is to flip it around. The other side will still be sharp Wink

A mat is definitely needed for a rotary cutter. They will slice through anything else.....cardboard, table tops, etc. I've had an olfa mat (green one) for many years and cut on it daily. As long as you store it flat it will last a really long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Pink Panther
How to Draw Pidgey
How to Use the Dodge and Burn Photoshop Tools
How to Draw Nino
How to Draw Ben 10 Alien Force Spidermonkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...