A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Refreshing MINT Chocolate Chip Cookies  (Read 1075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2012 07:23:12 PM »

Refreshing MINT Chocolate Chip Cookies were part of my homemade cookie christmas gifts AND part of my entry for Instructables cookie challenge! They were so good I just have to share them with everyone Smiley

Makes: 2 dozen (varies on size)

Ingredients
 2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of room temperature butter
1 cup packed of brown sugar
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 heaping cup of chocolate chips
1 heaping cup of mint chips (Andes work best)
  (optional to have up to a total of 1 TBS vanilla extract, but not necessary with the minty flavor)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets with favorite nonstick spray.
Bowl 1: Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Bowl 2: Cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. THEN beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using (Dont throw them in the mixer if you are using one!). Follow with the Mint Chips, also by hand.
Drop cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart. Depending on the size of the cookie you are going for, an PAM sprayed ice cream scooper works well here.
 Bake for 14 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. This is because all of the chocolate needs a few extra minutes to harden, or else they will cool formed with ridges from the wires on the rack.

IF you want to try these out, there is  a printable PDF of this on the original post here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Refreshing-MINT-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/ (Vote while you are there!)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 05:00:50 AM by Sparkly Sharp Fabulous » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- mk
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012 10:29:24 AM »

Mmmm ... they look so yummy!

I can't wait to get baking but everytime I make biscuits, they end up hard. I measure all the ingredients out correctly and I think I leave them in the oven for just long enough, sometimes less, but my biscuits always end up like rocks.

What am I doing wrong? Please someone tell me so I can get cracking with these cookies ...   :-)

- mk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012 05:34:14 PM »

Mmmm ... they look so yummy!

I can't wait to get baking but everytime I make biscuits, they end up hard. I measure all the ingredients out correctly and I think I leave them in the oven for just long enough, sometimes less, but my biscuits always end up like rocks.

What am I doing wrong? Please someone tell me so I can get cracking with these cookies ...   :-)

- mk

The first things that come to mind are the cooking situation. Is the oven fully pre-heated before you put them in? And do you take them off the baking sheet right away?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mashy

www.tashymakes.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012 04:23:59 PM »

Yuuuumm these look delicious!! Will have to make them, and my partner doesn't like mint so more for me! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sparkly Sharp Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012 06:58:55 PM »

Yuuuumm these look delicious!! Will have to make them, and my partner doesn't like mint so more for me! Smiley

LOL indeed, more for you! They freeze well! Especially in mini baggies with one or two cookies in it for easy defrost!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- mk
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012 08:20:13 AM »

Yup, I make sure the temp is right and the mixture has all the right amount of ingredients in it. I've heard that to keep them from going hard, put the biscuits in an airtight container with a slice of bread or half an apple or something but literally a few seconds after I take them out of the oven, whilst cooling down, they seem to be hardening also.   Sad

All the biscuit recipes I've tried say something like 'take out of oven and leave to cool'.
I know if I take a bite while they're still hot, the biscuits are soft ... is leaving them in a plate to cool the problem?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012 10:42:03 AM »

Yup, I make sure the temp is right and the mixture has all the right amount of ingredients in it. I've heard that to keep them from going hard, put the biscuits in an airtight container with a slice of bread or half an apple or something but literally a few seconds after I take them out of the oven, whilst cooling down, they seem to be hardening also.   Sad

All the biscuit recipes I've tried say something like 'take out of oven and leave to cool'.
I know if I take a bite while they're still hot, the biscuits are soft ... is leaving them in a plate to cool the problem?  Huh

Hmm, not sure about that, I'm not a frequent biscuit maker, but I wonder if the plate holds in the heat and keeps cooking them instead of on a rack? Not sure, sorry girlie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012 04:08:19 PM »

Maybe you overmixed or added too much flour to the dough?  Sometimes that happens to me too but usually if I microwaved the biscuit before eating it - it becomes soft again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.e tsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...