A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tent/Pavillion Make Over Madness  (Read 1085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinervaLRenfield
« on: January 01, 2012 07:19:39 PM »

I really hope this is the right section for this.  I couldn't think at all where else this might fit...

I own a company that vendors at a lot of Ren Faire and Society for Creative Anachronism events and for the first year of things I was using an old camp pop up I swiped from my mother.  It sufficed, but was really lacking in the looks department.  This year I had planned on buying a nice big historical styled pavilion to use but they're prohibitively expensive right now, so I took to doing a quick make over of the old pop up. 

This was a personal challenge.  I decided it had to be two things - cheap and fast.  In the end I succeeded as the whole project was done in an afternoon and I got the fabric as a steal.  The green and brown top fabric was bargain bin left overs at only a couple dollars a meter and the striped fabric didn't cost much more because it was on a serious discount.  The best part of the striped fabric was that it was over 300 inches wide and made for perfect wall curtains.  My tent was nice and cool in the blistering sun this year.

The Before:

The After:

The Walls are fastened on with self made ties.  This makes them easy to drop quickly if a sudden wind starts to pick up and for easier take down at night.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012 07:28:57 PM »

That looks fabulous! Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012 07:31:38 PM »

Wow, what a great makeover - I love the color of the stripes on the sides and the green and brown on the top - nice job!!  Your "booth" looks like it fits right in with the events you vendor at!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012 10:51:00 PM »

It looks great I would like to suggest two things. One you will need to double you guide lines. You should also know the PVC that the tent frame is made of will not hold up in any wind with the amount of new weight the Fabric you added the wind will come from one direction and flatten your tent, so on windy days open the side walls. You can speak to a privet tent maker about getting a custom made set of poles or ever make them your self. 2 x2 's are stronger then you think. and can be shaved on the corners to lose that square look. It looks like the lushness of Florida maybe Gainsville keep a spray bottle with Lystereen in it (the cheaper generic is fine) spray your tent before putting it away to keep the mildew at bay. May the prophets grant you much profit.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012 11:04:56 PM by Strawberryh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MinervaLRenfield
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012 11:28:34 PM »

@Strawberryh - Actually the frame is all painted metal and has already survived several crazy storms (One of which destroyed three of our other tents leaving it the only one that survived the scary night!) so we've had really good luck with it that way.  It actually survived a storm that snapped the wooden frames of some of those private company pavillions, which we were not expecting at all.  I might have been soaked and frozen in the morning, but hey, I had a shop to open! lol.  It's an older model of pop up so it's not made with cheap plastic bits like the one we bought this year and never used because it was just short of useless.

In wind (and at night in case of wind) the walls are immediatly dropped, more out of concern for fire hazards should one come loose and knock something over. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012 12:51:00 PM »

I love this! Your projects are all so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012 09:58:52 AM »

Wow!! What an amazing transformation! It looks fantastic.

Awesome score on the fabrics too!! They are perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
MinervaLRenfield
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012 10:20:19 AM »

Thanks for all the awesome comments!

I just got an industrial sewing machine for my birthday this fall so I'm hoping I can find some cheap sunforger canvas and make a proper historical pavillion in the next year or two as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Jean Shorts
The Top 5 Styles of Shorts
How to Wear Bold Neon Fashions
5 Ways to Wear a White Tee
Get a “Sons of Anarchy” Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...