A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing ATC Swap discussion thread for 2012!  (Read 29684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

savagerose
peace and have a victorious day!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012 07:11:58 PM »

I feel the same way! I'd read about them before but this will be my first time sending and receiving. I actually went to the library and checked out a ton of books to scour for ideas and techniques--"mixed media" seems to be the best catch-all term to search for to turn up the good ones, fyi.

What I'm loving the most about ATCs is that each one is specific and self-contained so it's easy to finish without getting exhausted. And it's so free-form that if it doesn't turn out quite like you expected you can often save it and possibly turn it into something better Cheesy.  Try to make that happen with sewing or crochet (I know I can't)!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012 05:01:53 PM »

Hey, so I decided to give ATC's a try last month and I have found I really enjoy making them. So of course I joined the swap again this month. And while I am alot more happy with how my cards this month are coming out, I have a little problem... NONE of the cards I cut are coming out the same size :/ I measure each one twice to make sure I've got it right... but apparently I just suck that much at cutting cards! Even making a mini temple isn't helping Sad
So I was wondering if anyone have any tricks for cutting out ATC's that are pretty much idiot proof?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012 05:08:14 PM »

When I first started, I have a template that used to make sure all my cards were the right size.  I use a paper cutter to cut all my cards out, too.  You could always go to Michaels and get some pre-cut ATCs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012 05:53:44 PM »

Yeah I tried using a templet. The cards all came out to big so I had to trim just a hair off... and I kept ending up cutting to much! You mean like a table top sized thing we use to use in art class that looked like it would take off an arm lol? Maybe thats my problem. All I have for cutting mine out are my fisckers and xzacto knives. And with all the complaints Ive heard about the pre-cut ones not being the right size, it felt like I would be paying someone for screwing up something that I screw up perfectly myself lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012 08:34:06 PM »

At the local Five and under store, I bought a box of baseball cards that I use as the bases for a lot of my ATCs.  They're already the right size and when I glue on the paper on which I'll build my card, I just use the baseball card as the edge to cut around.  If I used the baseball card to trace out the shape, I have to remember to cut  inside the lines because when I trace, the lines draw just a smidgen beyond the edges.

Otherwise, I'd use a ruler and pencil and actually measure and draw out the ATCs then cut along the lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
indigo_roses
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012 05:45:20 AM »

I use my 6" quilter's square and line up 3.5 x 2.5 from the corner, then trace. If I'm doing a bunch at once, I'll trace it out like a grid, then cut. Usually I'll do that so I have a bunch that are ready to go when I need them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012 06:12:53 AM »

If you do decide to buy some blanks just watch out for the ones that are spiral bound. Those are the ones that are the wrong size! Can't remember the brand name. Strathmore and Canvas Corp (I got those at Hobby Lobby) are the right size and come in a good variety of materials.
 I have a couple cheap $1 deck of cards and those are the same as the baseball cards. Just stick them to it as a base!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012 08:11:39 AM »

Thats what I do too, buy a deck of playing cards and use them for bases. Cheap and sturdy! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012 08:23:50 AM »

Hey StickerChic87! When are you coming back? We miss you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012 09:13:08 AM »

Aww yeah I really need to. I only did one card last month  Embarrassed. I was thinking though, once I get my extras done for the swap Im doing now, my reward will be to sign up for ATCs this month Cheesy I had my binder out the other day looking through my ATC collection and was getting the itch.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Project Runway Winner Announced
Style Sound-Off: Rihanna, Kim K, Nikki Reed
Support Breast Cancer Awareness With These Pink Shoes
5 Ways To Wear a Leather Jacket
That Thong ... Done You Wrong
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...