A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric selection help for Japanese pattern  (Read 509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cloudsnapper
« on: January 01, 2012 11:21:03 AM »

I have a skirt I want to make, but I'm afraid the fabric I picked for it is inappropriate. It's this skirt:

It's a cute simple skirt. I thought it would be good to get a wool blend for it to be a natural looking skirt. I ended up picking up this fabric.

But the more I look at it, the more I think it wouldn't work. It looks more like some kind of suit fabric to me than a natural cute look. It's pretty loosely woven so I don't know if I could sew it properly in the shape it needs to be, it needs elastic channels.
It's pretty much made of 2 sets of rectangles one tube gathered into a short tube that's gathered with elastic.

I really want this to work because I've already failed at one of the patterns in this book, the one on the cover. Or it could be that it was a bad pattern. Idk. I have a little more bust than the model for the one I made that was terrible:

But do you think the fabric will work for the pattern, and also for the look I'm going for? Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012 01:27:04 PM »

I would save that fabric for a pattern with an interfaced waist band and a zipper. It is a suiting that would look more appropriate in a pencil skirt style or something with a bit more structure.

This pattern is really casual and probably recommends cotton, prewashed. Give it a try with something like that and then you will know for sure if the heavy suiting will work. The suiting might not lay down as much as the cotton either resulting in a poofier skirt at your hips.

Fabric choices are a bit subjective. This is just my opinion without having felt your material. Good luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
thedutchseamstress
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012 03:12:10 PM »

I second the pencil skirt comment; that's the first piece I thought of when I saw your fabric.

Although it is subjective, I'm afraid that they fabric you chose won't drape quite the way you would want it to. However, the fabric is cute and would be useful for a pencil skirt, a simple blazer or great office/structured dress. Something that wouldn't involve too much gathering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to visit my college-student-sews-out-of-a-trunk blog!
Just click here and be whisked away to a world of practical sewing. : )
cloudsnapper
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012 03:22:40 PM »

I agree with you guys. After looking at it more and gathering the fabric against itself that it'll end up looking really weird and probably bad if I did the skirt in it.
Oh well, it was super on sale. I might have something in my stash that'll work for the pattern.
And the fabric will be good for something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012 03:29:46 PM »

Stash building is part of the life of a crafty person Wink You never know when you might need something! You may have something in your stash that you forgot about. I do that a lot Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Your Makeup on the Train
How to Do Your Makeup While Jogging
Quick Spring Beauty Tricks
Retro, Mad Men-Inspired Makeup Anyone Can Pull Off
Ask Marianna: Beach Waves, Dry Skin and Summer Foundation
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...