A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone in the UK  (Read 1048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stefjc
Trying to recycle myself

Reduced Reused Revamped Recycled: Reloved Remnants

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2012 07:56:24 AM »

has anyone in the UK found anywhere they can buy general bits and pieces?

I have friends in Canada who use a recycling centre regularly and I got a little bit excited.

I keep looking online to see  if I can track down a clothing/stuff recycling centre that is open to the public, but am having no luck.

Am I just not using the right key terms or do they really not exist here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slowly but surely.... I will!
http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012 01:56:22 PM »

I have no idea what stuff you are looking for, but my first port of call would be a charity shop, they are mostly in the town centres for small towns and district centres in large cities. The local council may have recycling facilities where they sell off somethings for reuse; some do, some don't. There might be a reuse/recycling warehouse if you are in large city, but they are not always open to the public, sometimes they are reserved for organisers of playgroups/nurseries/schools/community groups e.t.c. Car boot sales are a good place to pick up bits and pieces for reuse/recycling. Freecycle operates in the UK too.

You can always ask local businesses, unless they need to account for all their waste (e.g. tyres from a garage) they will often be happy to give it to you: I got the roll from the inside of a carpet for the asking 2 weeks ago.

Charity shops tend to have clothing, soft furnishings, books, cds and some brick-a-brack, although there are some that do furniture as well.
Local councils centres vary widely, but you can usually expect some furniture and some composted green waste, anything else, you'll need to get to know what they generally keep.
Reuse/recycling warehouses generally have kids craft supplies: offcuts of fabric from local manufacturers, waste cardboard, sequin waste e.t.c.
Car boot sales will have things that people hope to make a little money from, sometimes you can get a great bargain, sometimes there's only rubbish that you can't imagine anyone paying for.
Freecycle is so varied that I really can't describe it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
kawaiihelen

printing on every surface I can find

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012 02:49:56 AM »

hey i know of one place in cardiff called recreate http://www.re-create.co.uk/ and there's the scrapstore in bristol too. depends where in the uk you are! Antidigger hit the nail on the head tho - the best places are charity shops and carboot sales to pick up random stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make screen printed clothes and accessories!
www.etsy.com/shop/nellystreasuresuk
I've Entered the Women in Making competition
Please vote https://campaign.triumph.com/uk/profiles/helen-smith?thankyou=facebook#_=_
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012 05:12:50 AM »

as the others have said, charity shops and car boot sales, and keep going back, i know the charity shops in my area have a fairly rapid turn over of stock so we tend to go on a weekly charity shop trawl
Freecylce is amazing! my parents have gotten stuff from freecycle and given stuff away on it too
in our town we have a recyling centre/tip, you can't take stuff out of the skips (unfortunately, we've seen some fantastic stuff that others have thrown out but we can't take Sad) but you can get compost quite cheap and white goods and furniture and stuff that's a little loved but still good
ooooh and skips! keep your eyes open when you're out and about, often people throw out really useful stuff when they're doing diy, so if you see something you like or you think you can use just go and ask (it's good manners if nothing else) if you can take it
we've had some good stuff from skips, and had people ask if they could take from ours when we were having work done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Antidigger
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012 02:14:32 PM »

Yes, I was thinking of Recreate when I was writing about the warehouses, but I believe there are similar things elsewhere. Hopefully something near where I've moved to in Northants too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012 05:16:18 AM »

Hey Stefjc where abouts are you? A fellow craftster member pointed me in the direction of Emmaus. It's a charity helping homeless folk get back on their feet by providing work, shelter and a community. I'm fortunate enough to live slap-bang inbetween Brighton and Winchester so I have easy access to two although I've only even been to the Brighton one and it's fab. Basically a huge charity shop warehouse filled with books, clothes, furniture, crafty bits, bric-a-brac. The workers also grow plants to sell and they spruce up some of the furniture too! AND there's a cafe and everything! I'd definitely recommend checking out your local if there's one close enough! http://www.emmaus.org.uk/

As others have mentioned, freecycle is also amazingly great. I've got all sorts of great things on there including vintage cameras, a typewriter, a WEDDING DRESS (don't ask..) a scanner, a polaroid camera with film, tonnes of fabric, furniture to kit out my old flat and my studio and a binbag full of leather offcuts amongst many, many other great things! It's also great and so easy to get rid of your own unwanted things quickly and easily.

Other ideas are Charity shops as mentioned. I've found a couple of charity shops nearby that are so cheap for some really quality things it's ridiculous but it does require some rummaging about as there's a lot of crud to get through before finding the good stuff. I also find with charity shops that the 'richer' the area, the higher the price tags. My neighbouring town's prices are 1/2 that of where I live in the same charity shop so it's definitely worth shopping around.

Hope this helps somewhat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
stefjc
Trying to recycle myself

Reduced Reused Revamped Recycled: Reloved Remnants

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012 05:34:38 AM »

Trust me, I do charity shops and car boots and I love them.

Scrap Stores only meant to be used for community enterprises - I have been a member of one for years with my day job! I am often tempted  Shocked

Re-create also restricts useage to community groups. As I want to make things for personal use and possible re-sale I cannot legitimately use any of their stuff.

Loukr, I'm in Gloucester and I found a couple of Emmaus places quite close. I shall check them out. Thank you.

Reading that back I sound soooooooooooooo po faced. Sorry, I really did not mean to pour cold water. I must have been having a teacher moment! All holier than thou and smug! Huh

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012 06:47:59 AM by stefjc - Reason: The original post sounded quite rude and dismissive - sorry! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slowly but surely.... I will!
http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Clinton Global Initiative Empowers Young Filmmakers
How to Manage Non-Profit Client Expectations
How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Green Lantern
10 Hottest Vampires and Werewolves of 2011
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...